Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 06:40 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,477,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Politics. There's been a heated rural/urban divide on how and where transportation money is spent. For example, there's been people in Charlotte wonder why it took nearly 30 years to build I-485 while money went to highways in rural areas that were built a lot quicker, like I-795 from Wilson to Goldsboro or why Raleigh got 540 built faster than I-485. Most urban areas also see I-73 as a waste of money and a highway to nowhere and I have to admit, it's hard to argue their point when VA and SC hasn't even broke ground for I-73 yet. The urban areas feel like they're being neglected while the rural areas seem to get more attention and the rural areas are resenting the urban areas because now that the rural areas are getting attention, they feel like the urban areas are trying to hold them down. That's the way it appears to me, anyway.
I'm mot going to detract from your point of urban vs rural politics (70 East is in much different place than it was 10 years ago) but honestly, it might take 25-30 years to get the 540 loop completed (both 540 and 485 are around 67 miles around) It's been open since 1997, and almost 20 years in, and we still haven't gotten it completed (and about half of it's going to end up being a toll road). Out of the major cities in the state, Greensboro seems to be in the best shape as far as road construction is concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 06:14 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
I'm mot going to detract from your point of urban vs rural politics (70 East is in much different place than it was 10 years ago) but honestly, it might take 25-30 years to get the 540 loop completed (both 540 and 485 are around 67 miles around) It's been open since 1997, and almost 20 years in, and we still haven't gotten it completed (and about half of it's going to end up being a toll road). Out of the major cities in the state, Greensboro seems to be in the best shape as far as road construction is concerned.

Because Greensboro seems to have the most clout with NCDOT apparently...have you been there to see all of the overbuilt and half-empty highways lately? It's amazing that Greensboro has highways that could accommodate a city twice its size.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:43 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Because Greensboro seems to have the most clout with NCDOT apparently...have you been there to see all of the overbuilt and half-empty highways lately? It's amazing that Greensboro has highways that could accommodate a city twice its size.
Greensboro gets a by-pass and that means they have clout with the DOT?
Typically in the amount of time it takes to complete road projects the project is out dated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point