Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 03:37 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
And yet, those same elected jackasses will complain and wonder why the area is dead and losing population. Score One for logic!
They celebrate things like opening up a new fast food joint (kind of like Danville) or the small manufacturing company that opens up 50 jobs paying $10/hr and point to those things as economic development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 05:10 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
They celebrate things like opening up a new fast food joint (kind of like Danville) or the small manufacturing company that opens up 50 jobs paying $10/hr and point to those things as economic development.
I know. It's awful. I've never seen anything like it until I came here.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:42 AM

126 posts, read 200,012 times
LM117 and skinsguy37. Spot on guys!

This is truly sad. Like you said LM117, these clowns wonder why southside Virginia is dead and there is literally NOTHING in Martinsville (except Nascar for two races maybe?!?)

But while we are aggravated at the fact that NoVa gets all the money, do you think the Commonwealth sends money there because they clearly see that NoVa is aggressive and productive versus some hillbilly hick who "likes things the way they WERE"? Basically what Im suggesting is, Richmond is sending money to places where the money would be used MOST effectively and NoVa has proven that time and time again and it's generating/spurring/creating the economic development thus the Commonwealth benefits from it in the form of tax money??? *just a thought

I feel like, no matter who or what comes to tell Henry County and Southside Virginia how much an interstate or some sort of economical project which would benefit this particular area in question....no one budges. the old proverbial saying is "you can lead a horse to the water/well but you can't make them drink". I hate that mentality with passion but you guys were spot on in your assessments!

Old 05-27-2016, 08:00 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,245,104 times
Quote:
Those are indirect examples of economic development. If Henry County, Virginia, wants serious economic development that brings in industry with better paying jobs, it needs to be proactive improving its infrastructure. Interstate 73 would be that catalyst.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Those are indirect examples of economic development. If Henry County, Virginia, wants serious economic development that brings in industry with better paying jobs, it needs to be proactive improving its infrastructure. Interstate 73 would be that catalyst.
Yep. I-73 would help, but it's dead in VA now. At least Greensboro still has a chance of connecting to Myrtle Beach. South Carolina is trying to get I-73 going. Virginia should take notes.

WMBF : I-73 project closer than it's ever been to construction

Old 05-27-2016, 12:23 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
South Carolina is trying to get I-73 going. Virginia should take notes.
I think there might some things going for SC in getting I-73 built as compared to other states like VA. Namely that South Carolina is smaller in both land area and population as compared to Virginia, and while there probably is still some bickering between Upstate and the Low Country, it is not as bad as NOVA and the rest of Virginia.

Another positive is that the Grand Strand (Myrtle Beach area) is one of the bigger economies in the state and tying it into I-95 and further north with a limited access highway is a good thing, having better access to the Grand Strand and a better evacuation route when hurricanes are going to hit, plus SC-22 is already there and just needs some upgrades to be interstate quality.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:45 AM

Quote:
VA state senator Bill Stanley, who represents that region, wrote an op-ed in the Martinsville Bulletin in response to the previous article that stated that I-73 was dead. He seems to be the only politician in that area with an ounce of intelligence. I still have my doubts due to the politics in the VA General Assembly and the clowns in Henry County who apparently tried to kill their own project. I wish him luck. He's sure as hell gonna need it. He's mistaken about one thing: MI, OH and WV have no intentions of building I-73. He also mentioned the final route not being chosen. I thought the final routing of I-73 was chosen and approved by the Federal Highway Administration in 2012? I must've missed something.

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/...1c381fab8.html

Old 05-28-2016, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
while there probably is still some bickering between Upstate and the Low Country, it is not as bad as NOVA and the rest of Virginia.
Bingo!

Old 05-31-2016, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlscrkeva View Post
LM117 and skinsguy37. Spot on guys!

This is truly sad. Like you said LM117, these clowns wonder why southside Virginia is dead and there is literally NOTHING in Martinsville (except Nascar for two races maybe?!?)

But while we are aggravated at the fact that NoVa gets all the money, do you think the Commonwealth sends money there because they clearly see that NoVa is aggressive and productive versus some hillbilly hick who "likes things the way they WERE"? Basically what Im suggesting is, Richmond is sending money to places where the money would be used MOST effectively and NoVa has proven that time and time again and it's generating/spurring/creating the economic development thus the Commonwealth benefits from it in the form of tax money??? *just a thought

I feel like, no matter who or what comes to tell Henry County and Southside Virginia how much an interstate or some sort of economical project which would benefit this particular area in question....no one budges. the old proverbial saying is "you can lead a horse to the water/well but you can't make them drink". I hate that mentality with passion but you guys were spot on in your assessments!
Absolutely. Of course, NoVa does seem to have an advantage in terms of it being right there at our Nation's Capital. I'm sure that plays some role. It's really a tale of two states. I'm surprised Virginia hasn't split off into a North VA and South VA.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
VA state senator Bill Stanley, who represents that region, wrote an op-ed in the Martinsville Bulletin in response to the previous article that stated that I-73 was dead. He seems to be the only politician in that area with an ounce of intelligence. I still have my doubts due to the politics in the VA General Assembly and the clowns in Henry County who apparently tried to kill their own project. I wish him luck. He's sure as hell gonna need it. He's mistaken about one thing: MI, OH and WV have no intentions of building I-73. He also mentioned the final route not being chosen. I thought the final routing of I-73 was chosen and approved by the Federal Highway Administration in 2012? I must've missed something.

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/...1c381fab8.html
I thought the same thing. I always figured once the information gets out to the masses, then it's at that point where the route has been chosen and it's all basically coming up with the funds? This is one of those few times when I wished the federal gov't would step in and say, "Hey, if we're throwing money into this, it's going to happen." Just because of the potential it has with creating economic opportunities. Those in Henry County basically want to view life there as Mayberry. Nothing wrong with having some small, hometown feel to an area, but there also is something to be said for having something left for your children and grandchildren to want to stay in that area for. Believe me, I didn't necessarily want to leave that area, but I've always wanted to see it grow and flourish. I mean, I never had any aspirations of it becoming a New York City, or heck, even a Greensboro, NC, lol, but I remember a time when everyone was employed, all of the factories and mills were open, and business was booming from the Ridgeway side of town all the way into Bassett. That area seemed to thrive on all of the small, local businesses. Which honestly, is how areas like that survive anyway, but when your business is stuck between several empty shell buildings and your catering to a diminishing population, it's not going to survive. (Sorry, I always seem to go off on a tangent.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point