Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 02:25 PM

40 posts, read 129,050 times

Advertisements

Hi my wife and I are moving to North Carolina in August from Orange County, California to continue school but here is our dilemma. I am going to be going to UNC Greensboro and my wife is going to be going to Chapel Hill. We are planning a visit in May and would like to to know about good place to live in between, we aren't too worried about money being that we pay $1400 for rent already for a small one bedroom! (gotta love inflated California prices) So far I have seen Burlington and Graham. Are there any other places we should look at? We want to be somewhere safe and in a good community. WE are both studying to be doctors so we are not looking for a party life, although it would be nice to be somewhere that isn't to far away for that occasional night out. Your help is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 09:46 AM

628 posts, read 2,069,931 times
I would check out Burlington. I cannot think of any other areas between chapel hill and greensboro.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:20 PM

799 posts, read 3,226,783 times
Ah, let's see there's Mebane to the Right of Burlington, and Whitsett to the left of Burlington. It's one really straight road, man! LOL! I've been hearing some good things about Mebane. Do a search here on city-data and see what you come up with. Good luck!

Old 02-19-2008, 12:50 PM

52 posts, read 188,460 times
burlington, elon, whitsett, mebane, graham.... I would say any of those. Elon encompasses elon university so anywhere around there will probably include college kids. there are a few college bars in elon and burlington. Club Kryptonite in burlington is a decent sized nightclub for the area and i think its the only good night club in the area. there are some dive bars around there too. i agree with sushi that both are on I40 which is really a long straight line. people who are used to commuting won't think anything of it. You are about 3 hours from the beach or the mountains. both of which can be reached by staying on I40. Don't you love NC already? lol.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,842 times
Burlington has some very new, up and coming neighborhoods. I used to live in CA and have friends in OC, Long Beach and Norwalk. You can buy a Mansion out here for what it costs for a 3 bedroom out there. I am not sure how "In the middle" that would put you, but it isn't a bad spot!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:55 PM

40 posts, read 129,050 times
Thanks for the great advice! And yes I am already loving NC!!! lol

Old 02-20-2008, 06:46 AM

40 posts, read 157,379 times
Jdaly, I had to laugh (again) at the post about "only 3 hours from the ocean and 3 hours from the mountains" here in NC. My wife and I heard this everyday from every neighbor when we moved here a year and a half ago from Orange County. What they don't realize is that we were only a 1/2 hour from the beach and 1-1/2 hours from the mountains in Southern California. Anyway, I mean no disrespect to the native North Caroliners who like their proximity to the both mountains and land. It's just funny how often everyone says this. They must teach it in the school system...Tourism and Public relations-101 I guess. Never the less, you will enjoy North Carolina. Much better cost of living.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:08 PM

52 posts, read 188,460 times
yeah...but in california, there is a drawback to being 1.5 hours from the mountains and .5 hours from the beach... its called an active fault line. here in NC, its a peaceful non-earthquake filled excursion. no santa ana winds or the fires that go with it. soil erosion is minimal. we're currently in a drought but not as bad as atlanta. your drive will be along tree-lined highways from one end to the other. You'll take in the simple pleasures like going 75-85 mph and having various insects splattering against the windshield, the solemn confirmation that you just passed a dead dear or skunk on the side of the road by the smell that infiltrates the car even with the windows rolled up. Come and join in on an argument as old as the Hatfields and the McCoys: Eastern NC BBQ VS. Western NC BBQ VS. that crap that SC puts out. That healthy eating lifestyle in California will part ways with you once you introduce your body to Bojangles, Biscuitville and Cheerwine. If you don't smoke, things are looking better for you, there are a bunch of non smoking restaurants but not as many bars yet. that part is a little slow to change but it is doing so.

Dispelling NC myths: yes, there are tumbleweeds that roll through the center of certain towns. We do have Wifi but not everywhere. We do not all walk around barefooted (but don't put it past us). We don't have a sexual affinity for farm animals, some of the new generations of kids have never seen farm animals except for the zoo or nature centers. College teams to pull for are UNC, Duke, Wake Forest or NC State. Pro Teams are the Bobcats (no one cares), The Hurricanes (only hockey fans not from the north or canada care) and The Panthers (We care somewhat). In Greensboro, you will find a plethora of steelers, bears, patriots, falcons and jets fans for some reason. Some people actually boo the TV if they show a panthers game instead of another. The closest major theme park is Carowinds. good stuff. within the vicinity of a long day trip, there is 6 flags over georgia and Busch Gardens in virginia. Another thing you californians might like is our local sprouting of wineries all around central NC and i think 3 or 4 are within 20 minutes of burlington. So come join us for a glass of wine, a round of golf and a long road to happiness in either direction known as I40 *cue ending theme music* how was that for a tourism and public relations? I was the top of my class lol.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:59 AM

40 posts, read 157,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedrumble View Post
yeah...but in california, there is a drawback to being 1.5 hours from the mountains and .5 hours from the beach... its called an active fault line. here in NC, its a peaceful non-earthquake filled excursion. no santa ana winds or the fires that go with it. soil erosion is minimal. we're currently in a drought but not as bad as atlanta. your drive will be along tree-lined highways from one end to the other. You'll take in the simple pleasures like going 75-85 mph and having various insects splattering against the windshield, the solemn confirmation that you just passed a dead dear or skunk on the side of the road by the smell that infiltrates the car even with the windows rolled up. Come and join in on an argument as old as the Hatfields and the McCoys: Eastern NC BBQ VS. Western NC BBQ VS. that crap that SC puts out. That healthy eating lifestyle in California will part ways with you once you introduce your body to Bojangles, Biscuitville and Cheerwine. If you don't smoke, things are looking better for you, there are a bunch of non smoking restaurants but not as many bars yet. that part is a little slow to change but it is doing so.

Dispelling NC myths: yes, there are tumbleweeds that roll through the center of certain towns. We do have Wifi but not everywhere. We do not all walk around barefooted (but don't put it past us). We don't have a sexual affinity for farm animals, some of the new generations of kids have never seen farm animals except for the zoo or nature centers. College teams to pull for are UNC, Duke, Wake Forest or NC State. Pro Teams are the Bobcats (no one cares), The Hurricanes (only hockey fans not from the north or canada care) and The Panthers (We care somewhat). In Greensboro, you will find a plethora of steelers, bears, patriots, falcons and jets fans for some reason. Some people actually boo the TV if they show a panthers game instead of another. The closest major theme park is Carowinds. good stuff. within the vicinity of a long day trip, there is 6 flags over georgia and Busch Gardens in virginia. Another thing you californians might like is our local sprouting of wineries all around central NC and i think 3 or 4 are within 20 minutes of burlington. So come join us for a glass of wine, a round of golf and a long road to happiness in either direction known as I40 *cue ending theme music* how was that for a tourism and public relations? I was the top of my class lol.
Nicely done! However you forgot the rule of leaving out the "three B's" when addressing a prospective visitor. Never mention "Bugs, Bogangles and Barefeet" - It tends to scare them off along with their potential tax revenue. I was going to give you a "B minus" until you threw in the winery reference. That shot you back up to an "A". I do miss the wineries of Temecula, CA. Is that a winery going up just off the the (8) I saw north of Lexington?

Old 02-22-2008, 09:34 AM

3 posts, read 33,394 times
Mebane is a great place to live and right in the middle of the I-40 commute to either Greensboro or Durham/RTP. I live there and drive to South Durham daily. My daughter drives to RTP from Mebane as well. On weekends, we often go to either city to shop or for entertainment. Mebane is growing and offers a lot of opportunity to find suitable housing in price ranges that most people coming from California are surprised to find. It is located in Alamance County where taxes are still reasonable too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point