U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2008, 04:03 PM

392 posts, read 410,620 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Sorry for the long post, but I have a lot of questions after our scouting trip last fall.

I've been on this forum before, but for the life of me I have no idea what my previous login/pw were, so I'm back with a new name.

Anywhere we consider has to have access to UNCG, where Better Half will be attending for a Masters. We would like to have perhaps .5/ac if possible, although it's not required (esp. after scouting the Friendly area last year--definite possibilities/convenience). Questions are:

1) I've had a hard time finding a GSO zip code map. Any help?

2) Searching other threads here re location via zips, I've gleaned 27403, -06, -07, -09, -10, and 27455--all west and northwest of downtown/college area, correct? I would like to see where they are in relation to UNCG via the map request. Are there any other zip suggestions within GSO proper?

3) Advice about Mcleansville: Is there a bad/good/meh? Commute challenges, public transit to UNCG (how far to pick up the GSO line towards UNCG?), preference for a little space are concerns. We weren't terribly impressed with the new developments we drove through, although we saw some older houses not on the market that had .5/ac or so, and we're curious as to the +/- of that area.

4) We stayed at Groome Inn (zip 27407) last year, loved our hostess and the rural area. How is that area, even though it's close to High Point within that zip? I liked popping over the bridge/overpass, hanging a left, and then I was in Jamestown.

5) Then, GSO zips v. Groome area v. McLeansville v. Jamestown v. K'ville, with the consideration of UNCG. These are all considerations since our curiosity was peaked about possibly having a bit of space around the house when we were in Mcleansville.

Thanks!

PS: we were at a pub downtown last September on our scouting trip, and stared goggle-eyed at a bus flying by, and we gave them the name of "Banzai Buses""--they mean business around there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 04:16 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,600,696 times
Just type in the desire zip code and you can view nearby zip codes and the boundaries
Click for a Zip Code Boundary Map.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 02-17-2008, 05:47 PM

392 posts, read 410,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Just type in the desire zip code and you can view nearby zip codes and the boundaries
Click for a Zip Code Boundary Map.
Thanks, I was on that site, and it doesn't print very well. : ( I was looking for something that I could take with me and mark up.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:35 AM

3,491 posts, read 7,860,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving Arizona View Post
Thanks, I was on that site, and it doesn't print very well. : ( I was looking for something that I could take with me and mark up.
I actually work as a cartographer for a map company and our maps do have the zip codes and boundary lines on them incuding the Greensboro-High Point map. If you want to have a good quality map you can take with you, You can go to MAP SUPPLY INCORPORATED to order them or you can pick them up in some gas stations around Guilford County. I know the "Great Stop" gas stations have them. But you cant miss it. Its the folding map and atlas with the Greensboro ballpark on the front cover.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:20 AM

525 posts, read 1,924,689 times
That's funny, GSOboi because I was going to recommend Map Supply- it's the map used by all the realtors in the area!

Old 02-18-2008, 10:09 AM

779 posts, read 2,931,927 times
Question Cartography!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
I actually work as a cartographer for a map company and our maps do have the zip codes and boundary lines on them incuding the Greensboro-High Point map. If you want to have a good quality map you can take with you, You can go to MAP SUPPLY INCORPORATED to order them or you can pick them up in some gas stations around Guilford County. I know the "Great Stop" gas stations have them. But you cant miss it. Its the folding map and atlas with the Greensboro ballpark on the front cover.
gsoboi, you're a cartographer? I'm sooooo jealous!! I LOVE maps, my friends think I'm looney. What kind of training is involved in cartography?

Old 02-18-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeg4sushi View Post
gsoboi, you're a cartographer? I'm sooooo jealous!! I LOVE maps, my friends think I'm looney. What kind of training is involved in cartography?
with me it was on the job training. You really have to be a detail oriented type person for this kind of work. My background is actually graphic design.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourhometriad View Post
That's funny, GSOboi because I was going to recommend Map Supply- it's the map used by all the realtors in the area!
yep I work in the tiny little town of Welcome outside Lexington.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:08 AM

525 posts, read 1,924,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
yep I work in the tiny little town of Welcome outside Lexington.
Holy Small Towns, Batman! I'm from Lexington. You have to commute to Welcome every day? You poor thing!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourhometriad View Post
Holy Small Towns, Batman! I'm from Lexington. You have to commute to Welcome every day? You poor thing!
LOL...yes Monday through Friday. At one time we had 4 day work weeks (Mon-Thurs) but now I have to drive an extra day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or