U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 09:42 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,774 posts, read 14,856,777 times

Advertisements

near Greensboro and that is either Stokesdale, Oak Ridge or Summerfield. We are retired so we don't need a large place, three bedrooms would be fine so we can accomodate our kids when they come down from PA to visit. I have seen quite a few places on the internet in those three towns that seem to be what we need. Just wondering what the locals think of those three and which one is preferred.
Does anybody have any opinions of the Belews Lake area?

Shooting for a late spring move so I guess we should get to work.

Thanks in advance,
PDD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 11:10 AM

25 posts, read 54,258 times
We just looked at houses in the Stokesdale and Oak Ridge Area. They are building a lot of houses in Stokesdale for good price with land. Only problem I seen is the drive down 68 during rush hour, but since you are retired that will not bother you. Very quit place

Old 02-18-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbype View Post
We just looked at houses in the Stokesdale and Oak Ridge Area. They are building a lot of houses in Stokesdale for good price with land. Only problem I seen is the drive down 68 during rush hour, but since you are retired that will not bother you. Very quit place
I agree with you about 68 and I can see that going to four lanes in the not to distant future. Do you prefer one town over the other two?

P

Old 02-18-2008, 12:29 PM

25 posts, read 54,258 times
For me I was looking for whatever had land and was close to Greensboro, around Wendover. Oak Ridge seemed to have a little more of a build up as far as stores. Stokedale, you can really get into the pieceful places that they are just building homes on. Those 2 places I would say is a draw as they seem very similar. I am not sure on the other place as I moved here from OHio 8 months ago. I can say that Oak Ridge and Stokesdale is a great location as you can get to Wendover area in 20 minutes and Battleground area in 20 minutes. So have everything you need within that distance.
'
My boss built a house in Oak Ridge and he loves it. He mentioned them building an exit to the highway in the future but that could be 5 years off to take traffic away from 68.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:03 PM

1,261 posts, read 3,895,391 times
I've looked at houses with my realtor in all three towns. They're all pretty and quiet. I don't really prefer one over the others.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:00 PM

61 posts, read 219,353 times
All three areas are nice. There is a new community, Winsome Forest Smith Marketing :: We do the homework that sells homes. (http://www.smithmarketinginc.com/neighborhoods/winsomeforest/about.htm - broken link) nearby in neighboring Rockingham County. Taxes are a bit cheaper than Guilford's rate and about 15 minutes to Battleground Avenue. I moved here from Hunterdon County, NJ (Readington Twp.) about 3 years ago. If I remember correctly, I saw on a previous post you were from Bridgewater Twp.

Last edited by nj2nc-2005; 02-18-2008 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: Add URL

Old 02-18-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2nc-2005 View Post
All three areas are nice. There is a new community, Winsome Forest Smith Marketing :: We do the homework that sells homes. (http://www.smithmarketinginc.com/neighborhoods/winsomeforest/about.htm - broken link) nearby in neighboring Rockingham County. Taxes are a bit cheaper than Guilford's rate and about 15 minutes to Battleground Avenue. I moved here from Hunterdon County, NJ (Readington Twp.) about 3 years ago. If I remember correctly, I saw on a previous post you were from Bridgewater Twp.
Thanks for the heads up on Winsome Forrest. We will probably be taking a trip to the area in a couple of weeks and will certainly check out that location. Does anybody build a 3 br all Brick ranch with a basement and an attached three car garage? That is our dream retirement house.
Yes we are from Bridgewater and looking for a little property tax relief in NC.

Thanks,
P

Old 02-19-2008, 08:06 AM

525 posts, read 1,923,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I agree with you about 68 and I can see that going to four lanes in the not to distant future. Do you prefer one town over the other two?

P
68 is probably not going to two lanes. What is being done is a bypass is being built to take some of the big truck traffic that is using 68 to get to 220 North off of 68 and onto the bypass- near the airport. So don't count on 68 getting any wider- it's been like that for years, and Oak Ridge is really particular.

Belews Lake is great and so is Stokesdale. There might be a Lowe's Home Improvement going in at Haw River road too.

Let me know if you need any help.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,605 times
I am sad to leave Oak Ridge, due to a job transfer. My family loved it there. I think all the areas you mentioned are lovely, but as I chose Oak Ridge, I am partial to it. I feel like it has similar amenities to the other towns, but a nice distance from downtown GSO and Kernersville shopping. Its also a straight shot into High Point. I lived in the Stonehenge development, which was perfect for us. Larger houses, with almost acre lots, but no association fee. I don't know that a lot of houses in the area have basements. Well, good luck and feel free to ask me any questions!

Old 03-04-2008, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,605 times
By the way, I also am from NJ! I grew up in East Brunswick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point