U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:45 AM

52 posts, read 170,774 times

Advertisements

currently we are at the mercy of mother nature. but i assure you that its not a desert or close to it. I could show you a picture of the mud and grass stains on my jeans from last night (random party out in the adams farm area)

My realtor is Margaret Shelton at Prudential Carolinas Realty. margaret.shelton@prucarolinas.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 09:45 AM

525 posts, read 1,926,272 times
it tends to be most beautiful in spring and fall, IMHO. Summer is hard on plant life, or at least it is in my front yard.

as far as snakes go, remember- there are only 4 types of poisonous snakes in the US, and only two of them are indigenous to the NC Piedmont. Odds are, you will have garden and black snakes which will keep your mice and rat populations down. I personally would rather have snakes than rodents- snakes don't carry rabies and disease!

Come on over to NC- once you get here, you won't want to leave!

Old 02-26-2008, 10:05 AM

893 posts, read 447,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WISGIRL View Post
We are planning to move to the Greensboro Area by the end of March. Being someone who has only lived in the Tri-State area of the midwest Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, I'm very unfamiliar with the cultures and lifestyles of the Southeast. What things will shock me the most (besides the weather)? What things should I look out for? What's the best way to hook with a social network of families with small children? We will certainly be fish out of water for a few months, but I'd like to make NC feel like home.
As for someone who moved from Iowa to NC 24 years ago here are some tips;

1) when ordering tea you should know it has sugar(massive amounts) unless you order unsweetened

2) Pop is soda...I ordered pop at a school function right after getting here and they told me that was a term used for drugs

3) The weather is awesome...the beaches are more awesome

4) barbecue is vinegar based... be prepared for a shock

5) pick the school system, then buy the house

6) The people are more awesome than the weather

Old 02-26-2008, 12:38 PM

52 posts, read 170,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
As for someone who moved from Iowa to NC 24 years ago here are some tips;

1) when ordering tea you should know it has sugar(massive amounts) unless you order unsweetened

2) Pop is soda...I ordered pop at a school function right after getting here and they told me that was a term used for drugs

3) The weather is awesome...the beaches are more awesome

4) barbecue is vinegar based... be prepared for a shock

5) pick the school system, then buy the house

6) The people are more awesome than the weather

as someone who has lived here his whole life...I'd love to comment on this one.

1. YUP. and being from here, i can't understand why anyone would want tea without sugar or atleast 3 packets of sugar!

2. if you asked someone for "a pop" now, you may be hit instead of handed drugs.

3. the weather can be humid though.

4. and whats wrong with that!? each year we have a ribfest and you can try different types of bbq from all over the region. there is also the lexington bbq festival which is the greatest bbq festival this side of the mississippi. (argumentative but who cares)

5. DING DING DING! and because our lovely school board likes to play around with the lines every few years, you might want to pick a place not on the outskirts of the school district lines.

6. Why thankya, Miss. We aims to please. *Raises a glass of Cheerwine*

Old 02-26-2008, 06:40 PM

104 posts, read 302,988 times
WISGIRL-do you have jobs lined up? I would try to find one immediately if you don't because the job market is tight and it's safe to say that it can take a while to line one up in the Triad. The job market was a shock to my system so that was one of my negatives of the area. It just depends on where you are coming from. We moved from CO and when I lived in Denver the market was booming so this was just hard to stomach for us. Good luck! Every place has its pros/cons so just make sure that at the core the lifestyle fits yours.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:17 PM

7 posts, read 18,568 times
Default Keep in touch!

Hi WISGIRL! I am from Minneapolis and my husband and I are planning a move to Greensboro this summer. We have 2 small kids - son 5 and daughter 4 and we will be looking for friends as well when we get there as we will know no one! I am originally from here so all my family is here and my husband is from Chicago. We have spent a lot of time going through Wis. to Chicago! Where abouts in Wis. are you? Keep in touch, I would love to get your information and talk to you after you guys get settled a little! Good Luck with your move!

Old 03-03-2008, 12:21 PM

3 posts, read 4,331 times
Hi - We are a Minnesota family of 5 thinking of relocating to NC. Hoping to visit on Spring Break - where should we go to check out neighborhoods. What is the best school district. We are in the SW suburbs of MPLS - would feel most comfortable with something similar...

Old 03-03-2008, 04:05 PM

1,261 posts, read 3,899,768 times
The best schools are in northwest Guilford County, Kernersville, Clemmons, Lewisville and north Davidson County. Western Alamance County has pretty good schools too.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:45 PM

525 posts, read 1,926,272 times
all I have to say about NC and Greensboro in particular right now is this- it's 65 degrees and I've been driving around all day with the windows down. And the flowers are starting to poke their heads out of the ground. It's gorgeous here. Get down here quick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point