U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 05:43 AM

4 posts, read 11,533 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to the Greensboro Area by the end of March. Being someone who has only lived in the Tri-State area of the midwest Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, I'm very unfamiliar with the cultures and lifestyles of the Southeast. What things will shock me the most (besides the weather)? What things should I look out for? What's the best way to hook with a social network of families with small children? We will certainly be fish out of water for a few months, but I'd like to make NC feel like home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 07:47 AM

525 posts, read 1,924,689 times
You will be shocked at the high level of education we have- most people think that all of us southerners are inbred hicks, and I am here to tell you, I might be a hick, but I ain't inbred!

Seriously, the weather can be wacky, but if you think you will need to bring all that snow gear, you won't. Leave the snowblower in Wisconson. You will need gear for all seasons, and be prepared for the humidity to "whup up on you" a little cause it will get humid.

Churches and day care may help you meet some folks or you can try the local mom's meetup group that my wife belongs to. They have tons of get togethers and mornings out and such.

North Carolina is beautiful and you will love it here once you get here.

Let me know if I can help.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the info...most people think people from Wisconsin are hicks also...and rednecks...so untrue. We'll leave the snow and the snowblower here.

Do you have problems with mosquitoes, wood ticks, etc. in the summer? Are there any other critters I should know about?

Old 02-21-2008, 01:24 PM

52 posts, read 170,647 times
I just assume everyone has big ol' cheese wheels in their basement in Wisconsin

Hmm. Use of the word "Y'all" get used to it. Also, in diners, you may be referred to as sugar, honey, sweetie, sugar britches and they are all meant as terms of friendliness..don't go around calling everyone that but people will take free license with it sometimes. mainly women. Churches on street corners including downtown. Cheerwine: a cherry flavored soda. We say soda or sodi-pop if you get way out in the country. we don't walk around barefooted all the time. no horses down main street unless its a fair or festival. fried chicken and nascar.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISGIRL View Post
Do you have problems with mosquitoes, wood ticks, etc. in the summer? Are there any other critters I should know about?
yup. skeeters big and small. the closer you are to standing bodies of water, the bigger they are. I've noticed a lot less bees around too. that is part of a world crisis or something like that. ticks, possums, the random bear, deer, defiant cows and the random rabid animal from time to time. Bats are around but harder to spot. copperheads more so than rattle snakes but you'll find a nice share of both in the woods. Hey I've been here for 27 years and havent been bitten by a snake yet. I cant count how many mosquito bites. I think i average finding 2 ticks per hike/camping trip. I havent had the pleasure of leeches thank god and thats all i can think off.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:03 PM

Thanks for all your information and advice. The snake thing is kind of creepy...we really don't have much for snakes around here and most are harmless, but ugly. Someone at work told me that people in the south can tell if someone is from the midwest because we talk really fast. I never really thought about it like that. Is that true?

Old 02-21-2008, 06:05 PM

depends. we'll probably talk really slow from your point of view. I dont have an accent at all so people ask me where I'm from and I've lived in greensboro my whole life

Old 02-22-2008, 06:44 AM

37 posts, read 117,286 times
Hi, love the post so far - I'm from WI (appleton) and we are moving to Greensboro next spring - I can't wait to keep checking on the post - and WISGIRL - could we stay in touch and when you get there - give me tips and advice; I'm planning to visit this July - thanks!

Old 02-22-2008, 06:53 AM

oh yeah and there are a bunch of houses for sale here. Not so much from the mortgage bust but because they were being built anyway or some flippers. I have a couple of Real Estate Agents to recommend if you'd like. ...stay in the north, northwest and west areas for the better schools and entertainment options on either side of the city line. The south, southeast, east and northeast sections are building up but are still in the low income area. For me thats not a big problem but there aren't any movie theaters or great dining choices in the eastern section.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:30 AM

Thanks for all the info. I did notice that a lot of houses were for sale in the area and yes, I would like you to recommend a realtor. Some people have been telling me about the drought and I have this awful thought in my mind that I'm going to get down there and see something that looks like the desert...kind of like when I visited Las Vegas, everything was dirt, dirt, dirt, no grass. Is that what we can expect in Greensboro once Spring comes...or am I over exaggerating? I was thinking that NC in general was a very lush, beautiful place...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point