U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:06 PM

627 posts, read 1,863,678 times

Advertisements

Sorry gsoboi, I do love greensboro, but I have been frustrated with the downtown progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
I disagree in some regards. Greensboro's downtown nightlife has blossomed over the past several years with the opening of new restaurants, bars, nightclubs and Triad Stage. There are even talks of building a small grocery store in Southside next to CityView Apartments. Depsite the perception, people are buying $200,000 to $300,000 condos in downtown Greensboro. Of course they are not buying at the rate they are doing in uptown Charlotte. But downtown Greensboro is on the upswing and its the reason many people including myself moved downtown.

The momentum is building because there are plans for a condo project in Southside called FountainView. A Charlotte developer is planning a high-rise luxury condo/boutique hotel project and there are at least three more developers considering hotel projects for the center-city. Plannerss of the downtown Greenway, which will loop around downtown, will break ground this years. DGI has reported that there are several big projects in the works for downtown that could be announced this year. Most of those are office projects according to DGI. I do know that over the past several years, office vacany in downtown Greensboro has dropped and the newer towers are starting to fill up. So there may be a few mixed-use office towers on the drawing board. We'll see
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 05:49 AM

3,491 posts, read 7,860,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_Random View Post
Sorry gsoboi, I do love greensboro, but I have been frustrated with the downtown progress.
is progress not going fast enough? What changes would you like to see happen downtown?

Old 03-04-2008, 12:16 PM

20 posts, read 96,322 times
I'm all for building up downtown Greensboro. I like the idea of bringing more people and money down there. It would help the city out a great deal. My question is where in the world are they planning to put all these building you guys are talking about? Especially the hotel projects, I just can't see exactly where they would have room to put it unless they would just be renovating the old buildings that we already have downtown.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingnahurry View Post
I'm all for building up downtown Greensboro. I like the idea of bringing more people and money down there. It would help the city out a great deal. My question is where in the world are they planning to put all these building you guys are talking about? Especially the hotel projects, I just can't see exactly where they would have room to put it unless they would just be renovating the old buildings that we already have downtown.
Two of the hotel projects would require demolision of structures. The hotel thats being proposed for the Elm Street Center would be located where the parking deck behind the Elm Street Center is. The hotel would front Davie Street.

a 12-story high-rise hotel/condo project is being proposed by a Charlotte developer and according to 99 Block, a downtown Greensboro magezine, the site the developer is looking at is at the corner of Davie Street and Friendly Ave, diagnally southeast of Center-City Park. The brick building that was home to Rhumba Latina would have to come down. Fortunately the building is not historical in nature.
I have no idea where the others are being proposed.

Here is the the proposed site of the hotel which will adjoin the Elm Street Center. It will be considered a conference hotel. The height of the proposed hotel is unknown at this point but looking at the limited amount of land, this should at the very least be a mid-rise structure depending on how many rooms the hotel will have.

Here is the site being considered for the high-rise condo/hotel

[

Last edited by gsoboi; 03-04-2008 at 02:49 PM..

Old 03-04-2008, 05:09 PM

20 posts, read 96,322 times
Hmmm...thats interesting. I pass Rhumba Latina by everyday and I always wondered what they were gonna do with that building since it always looks abandoned. Thats gonna be a great look for downtown. I hope I'm around long enough to see these plans come to life.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:15 AM

It really is an exciting time for downtown Greensboro. btw a new sports pub is opening up on North Elm Street in downtown Greensboro, called Beef O' Brady's. Its a family friendly national pub chain that has a few locations in North Carolina

Beef O' Brady's Family Sports Restaurants

Old 03-06-2008, 10:45 AM

779 posts, read 2,931,514 times
I would like to see, in many American cities, the development of beautiful architecture and things that compel the eye. The boxy, cold steel look just isn't yum enough to enough people. Why do people love Europe? Look at that architecture? The crazy buildings in Vegas? The colorful, artful homes of San Franscisco? It's for the beauty and that's it in a nutshell. Bring beauty, and art and life and the city will indoubtedbly prosper. Our time is ripe for it. Everyone is stressed out and broke and we need a place ot just sit and reflect and stroll.......casually. I think the way to go is to continue perhaps with structure, but alot less uniformity.

My ironhard .02!

Old 03-06-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeg4sushi View Post
I would like to see, in many American cities, the development of beautiful architecture and things that compel the eye. The boxy, cold steel look just isn't yum enough to enough people. Why do people love Europe? Look at that architecture? The crazy buildings in Vegas? The colorful, artful homes of San Franscisco? It's for the beauty and that's it in a nutshell. Bring beauty, and art and life and the city will indoubtedbly prosper. Our time is ripe for it. Everyone is stressed out and broke and we need a place ot just sit and reflect and stroll.......casually. I think the way to go is to continue perhaps with structure, but alot less uniformity.

My ironhard .02!
Its all about the creative class

Old 03-08-2008, 06:06 PM

Center Pointe condo tower is getting closer to being complete on the exterior

Old 03-09-2008, 01:50 PM

2,031 posts, read 6,139,876 times
Default Nice addition!

I really like the blue exterior glass and the outdoor balconies!
The addition of some color to the skyline adds some excitement to downtown
Greensboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point