U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2008, 12:29 PM

80 posts, read 299,959 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
We are looking to relocate to the Greensboro area. I had a couple of questions I was hoping someone could answer for me. First, about schools...
I know The Early College at Guilford is a highly rated school. Where do you need to live to be considered for this school? Also, what are the chances of getting to go there? Another question I had is about housing. My husband and I, along with our four children, and my parents, who are ready to retire, will be making the move. My parents would like to live on the same property but preferably in separate living quarters than us. Has anyone seen homes with separate in-law apartments? Is this going to be nearly impossible to find? I'm trying to locate good schools and then see what type of housing is available in those areas. We can't spend more than $250,000 to $300,000 and we'd like to be in a safe area. Small towns appeal to us, if any come to mind, as long as my husband could commute to Greensboro. We appreciate any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 12:45 PM

22 posts, read 54,117 times
NC now offers the Earn and Learn program. This is dual enrollment college/high school available in any NC high school. We are in Mocksville, and they have early college through Davidson County Community College in addition to the Earn and Learn program. My daughter also takes courses through a virtual lab for classes not available in our area. So I think you are able to live just about anywhere and take advantage of these programs. I think you'll be able to find separate living quarters with a bit of searching and flexibility - I have run across several of these poking around. Many new home builders have these as over-the-garage options, but unfortunately I can't point you to a specific builder in the area! You should be able to find what you need, though.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:00 AM

103 posts, read 193,887 times
I teach at an Ealry/Middle College in Guilford County. The Early College at Guilford as very strict entrance requirements. Your child has to score extremely high in the SAT and other tests. That said, there are 6 other Early/Middle Colleges located around the county (the one I teach at is on the Jamestown campus of GTCC). These schoolare open to anyone living in the county. However, you must applyto attend. The application period is going on right now and is open until March 21. You can go to the GCS website (GCS Online) and click on magnet options to get an application for each of the schools.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:14 PM

80 posts, read 299,959 times
Thank you for the responses. My daughter is not old enough to attend yet: I am just looking ahead to the future. I just want to make sure I buy a home in an area that she will have a choice of places to go. She is very bright, but has some social issues---difficulty fitting in. I'm afraid she would be teased at a regular school.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 6,240 times
Early College at Guilford is a good school and highly rated. As far as public schools, Northwest High school and Grimsley are rated pretty high. My children go to Northwest and we are very happy. The Senior class received about 9 million in scholarships and the scholl is ranked about 250 in the top 1,200 public schools in the Nation.
We live in Oak Ridge which is a small town about 10 miles north of Greensboro. It is a very nice growing area, but the housing here is expensive. You may find less expensive housing in Summerfiled which is just East of here

Old 06-19-2008, 11:36 AM

10 posts, read 30,960 times
If you like the small town feel I would recommend you look into the Randleman area. It is a 15 to 25 minute commute (depending on where you live or work). As to the house. You may need to build in order to find exactly what you are looking for.

Paul

Old 06-23-2008, 08:56 AM

525 posts, read 1,924,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy View Post
Hi all,
We are looking to relocate to the Greensboro area. I had a couple of questions I was hoping someone could answer for me. First, about schools...
I know The Early College at Guilford is a highly rated school. Where do you need to live to be considered for this school? Also, what are the chances of getting to go there? Another question I had is about housing. My husband and I, along with our four children, and my parents, who are ready to retire, will be making the move. My parents would like to live on the same property but preferably in separate living quarters than us. Has anyone seen homes with separate in-law apartments? Is this going to be nearly impossible to find? I'm trying to locate good schools and then see what type of housing is available in those areas. We can't spend more than $250,000 to $300,000 and we'd like to be in a safe area. Small towns appeal to us, if any come to mind, as long as my husband could commute to Greensboro. We appreciate any help!
We don't call them In-Law apartments anymore, but there are certainly some in the area. I may be listing one in just a few months. You could also look for a home with a walk out basement that you could modify slightly. Not impossible at all. Rare, yes, but not impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point