U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

NC: new lifestyle, honest sentiments, ethnic groups, outdoors people, yard to play, cabin fever

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:10 AM

8 posts, read 23,420 times

Advertisements

I hope that you don't take that NC has high crime rates. I really don't believe this is the case. Most crime is isolated and not rampant. The indictment of Durham is unwarranted. Durham is a lovely city with much appeal. The travel time from Mebane to Durham is short. Durham calls herself the City of Medicine. Duke Medical Center is one of the finest teaching hospitals in the nation. Duke University brings a high level of cultural activity. The North Carolina Math and Science High School is located here. The Durham-Raleigh-Chapel Hill area is one of the nation's best none research areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 01:47 PM

106 posts, read 154,707 times
[quote=gopats;2944871]

Mass. is a hard state to live in. Would we love to live here forever... probably. But we have long commutes, an old house and no light at the end of the tunnel to make the next step forward for our family. We are trying to swing one income and it is hard. So we hope that by moving South we will find some relief...some light and the ability to take a deep breath.

I agree. I also live in Mass and have to say that is a very expensive State to live. Your dollar does not go far enough here. I have two jobs and is still hard to make it. I am also looking into moving to NC within the next year. I'm looking into the Raleigh area but my son also wants us to look into Charlotte so hopefully I will be there within the next 3 months to visit both places and get a feel of things. Looking forward to it

Old 07-17-2010, 12:38 PM

54 posts, read 115,358 times
tHE BEST THING WOULD BE TO RENT FOR THE FIRST YEAR TO BE SURE IT IS WHAT YOU EXPECTED.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:52 PM

106 posts, read 154,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandnsea2 View Post
tHE BEST THING WOULD BE TO RENT FOR THE FIRST YEAR TO BE SURE IT IS WHAT YOU EXPECTED.
Agree. My plan is to rent first

Old 07-20-2010, 11:09 AM

23 posts, read 47,765 times
you should consider winston-salem. it is only a 10 minute drive to clemmons or lewisville, but in my humble opinion has more to offer in terms of restaurants, neat events, the children's museum, krankie's farmer's market and wholefoods. my husband and i moved here oct. 2009 by choice from NYC and have been so happy here. the homes are unique, the downtown has free, fun concerts/movies all summer (music on 6th/trade + the green spot) and we have 8 favorite, independently-run restaurants that we like to support. good luck to you!

Old 07-20-2010, 09:50 PM

66 posts, read 131,192 times
Default You'll love it!!!!!!

I was born in Mass!! I lived in RI mostly though, Woonsocket! I LOVE it here in Winston Salem and WILL NEVER move back!!!! So laid back and easy going compared to home! GOOD luck!! If you're here, how do you like it thus far?

quote=gopats;2933679]I have posted many questions and thoughts on this forumn regarding our upcoming move to NC. I have tried to find out info on everything we are looking for and/ or can expect from our move. This forumn has been so helpful w/ all of it. We are from the NEast and yes we have a family w/ small children. We are being relocated so we are going w/ hopes that this is the right choice for us. I am a realist though and don't want to be ignorant to the fact that "the grass isn't always greener" theory. I want to respect NC as our new home. I realize we need to appreciate the new lifestyle vs. miss the old. We want to respect the people and land of NC and feel welcome.

Bottom line....in doing so we hope for a better quality of life, more home for our $$, better weather, great schools and community for our children, etc.

From those of you who have made the move from Mass. or North East.....what are your honest sentiments about your experience? Good and bad. The more we know the less ignorant we will be.

To the people of NC who have welcomed all the transplants...thank you. See you soon.[/quote]

Old 07-29-2010, 05:14 AM

8 posts, read 23,420 times
I don't think it would be quite fair to promise Utopia in North Carolina. The weather over the past month has been unbearable hot and humid. Of course, this is not typical. But we do have hot sticky weather in the summer. Our governments struggle with many problems, but we somehow get through them. We in the Tar Heel state are truly proud and most of us live up to the State's motto esse quam vedire, "to be rather than to seem". Generally, we accept newcomers as long as the newcomers accept us. Don't tell us how great it is somewhere else. Join us to make this a better place. Don't expect our slow speech to be a sign of low intelligence, but our way to slow things down to a more reasonable pace. You are welcom to be our neighbor.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:48 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,083,815 times
Well.................be kinda careful where you choose to settle in, there are a few cannabalistic enclaves scattered around the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point