U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

NC: new lifestyle, honest sentiments, ethnic groups, outdoors people, yard to play, cabin fever

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 07:19 PM

33 posts, read 111,699 times

Advertisements

I have posted many questions and thoughts on this forumn regarding our upcoming move to NC. I have tried to find out info on everything we are looking for and/ or can expect from our move. This forumn has been so helpful w/ all of it. We are from the NEast and yes we have a family w/ small children. We are being relocated so we are going w/ hopes that this is the right choice for us. I am a realist though and don't want to be ignorant to the fact that "the grass isn't always greener" theory. I want to respect NC as our new home. I realize we need to appreciate the new lifestyle vs. miss the old. We want to respect the people and land of NC and feel welcome.

Bottom line....in doing so we hope for a better quality of life, more home for our $$, better weather, great schools and community for our children, etc.

From those of you who have made the move from Mass. or North East.....what are your honest sentiments about your experience? Good and bad. The more we know the less ignorant we will be.

To the people of NC who have welcomed all the transplants...thank you. See you soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 05:31 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,623,220 times
we chose to move here--we did not get transfered from our jobs.
the thing i miss most is finding the food that i like to eat once in a while. good places for pizza, chinese, etc are hard to find. i miss the different ethnis groups represented in NJ, and the food that follows them.
other than that, i love the weather, i love my new home, i love the fact that i am able to stay home with my baby.
but i do miss my family, not for myself as much for my son.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
we chose to move here--we did not get transfered from our jobs.
the thing i miss most is finding the food that i like to eat once in a while. good places for pizza, chinese, etc are hard to find. i miss the different ethnis groups represented in NJ, and the food that follows them.
other than that, i love the weather, i love my new home, i love the fact that i am able to stay home with my baby.
but i do miss my family, not for myself as much for my son.
thank you for your input. Sounds like what we will go through. But we are excited. Do you feel like you are outdoors more down there? I also hear more people stay inside due to the hot weather. We are outdoors people (one because we have no AC up here) but in general hope to find the neighborhood w/ children outdoors and playing and a community feel.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:22 AM

yes we are outside almost every day. we take lots of walks and the weather is so great. in NJ, i worked, but even on off days i just wanted to hibernate because it is so cold . as far as summer goes, this was my first, and i spent most of it back in NJ, first because we were renting and had no yard to play in, and second because i didnt want to subject the baby to so much heat, we couldnt spend muchtime outside. and i think i got more cabin fever in the summer than i am now in winter.

i am glad we moved here and i think every part of the country has a special flavor to it. i desperately wanted a change and to leave NJ, and now i appreciate NJ more--go figure. but i think everyone should make a "big" change at least once and try something new.
btw, which area are you moving to?

Old 02-25-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
yes we are outside almost every day. we take lots of walks and the weather is so great. in NJ, i worked, but even on off days i just wanted to hibernate because it is so cold . as far as summer goes, this was my first, and i spent most of it back in NJ, first because we were renting and had no yard to play in, and second because i didnt want to subject the baby to so much heat, we couldnt spend muchtime outside. and i think i got more cabin fever in the summer than i am now in winter.

i am glad we moved here and i think every part of the country has a special flavor to it. i desperately wanted a change and to leave NJ, and now i appreciate NJ more--go figure. but i think everyone should make a "big" change at least once and try something new.
btw, which area are you moving to?
we are not sure what we will settle on and wont know until we do our official house hunt in 2-3 weeks but it will most likely be clemmons or Lewisville. I am taking in all the info I see and read and will have to decide ourselves. Any thoughts on those towns?

I do want to appreciate a change in our lives and don't want to come down w/ the notion or attitude that the N East is in any way better. Like you said....all is different whereever you go. I think I started out w/ that idea and now after more research realize that we have to go w/ an open mind. Bottome line we love the N East but we love the idea of a better q of life more and weather that allows us to be out more than in. We will probably spend more time up here in the summer anyway. Mass. is a hard state to live in. Would we love to live here forever... probably. But we have long commutes, an old house and no light at the end of the tunnel to make the next step forward for our family. We are trying to swing one income and it is hard. So we hope that by moving South we will find some relief...some light and the ability to take a deep breath. We want to enjoy a house that we work hard for. We'll miss a lot but we hope to gain a lot to. But in the end....it is easy to move South...not so easy to move back North. That is what scares us too. But we will go and hopefully feel embraced by our new world.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:17 AM

good attitude. we moved south for all the same reasons. we could have never made it on one income in NJ. unless we win the lottery or something, we wont be able to move back there either. but we didnt move here for any extravagant lifestyle. just regular middle class, but on one salary.
sorry i dont know anything about those town you mentioned.
all i can suggest is try to live as close to your job as you can. things are very spaced out here compared to NE. driving time always seems so long to me.
good luck and let me know if i can help with any questions.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
good attitude. we moved south for all the same reasons. we could have never made it on one income in NJ. unless we win the lottery or something, we wont be able to move back there either. but we didnt move here for any extravagant lifestyle. just regular middle class, but on one salary.
sorry i dont know anything about those town you mentioned.
all i can suggest is try to live as close to your job as you can. things are very spaced out here compared to NE. driving time always seems so long to me.
good luck and let me know if i can help with any questions.

what town are you in?? And I am reading some info recently posted and do get alarmed when I read more about the overcrowded schools and no plan in sight to address growth. Do you hear about that and is it as daunting as what I read? In addition what is your take on the "water issue". Bad drought huh? It is nice to get local real perspective on this as it is somewhat hard to trust what we might see in a magazine or newspaper article.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:24 AM

525 posts, read 1,924,689 times
Quote:
the thing i miss most is finding the food that i like to eat once in a while. good places for pizza, chinese, etc are hard to find. i miss the different ethnic groups represented in NJ, and the food that follows them.
I feel that for a southern town, we have a pretty good representation of restaurants here, even if you avoid the chains. I know tons of good pizza joints (New York Pizza!) and there's chinese, thai, japanese, indian, vietnamese... just to name a few. There's no decent Cajun joint anymore since Wild Magnolia went under, and no Ethiopian restaurant (there's the Blue Nile in Durham but that's an hour away) but we do pretty good.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:30 AM

2,560 posts, read 7,719,628 times
Where in NC? You didn't specify.

Have you considered Charlotte. Very transient city. In a recent article they said that in excess of 65% of people were not from Charlotte. Very welcoming city with lots to do and professional sports and 3 lakes. Lots of restaurants & shopping. Even Cajun & Ethiopian restaurants...lol!

Schools are overcrowed but that is so in pretty much ALL of NC. Tons of people are moving here. Metro Charlotte now has 2,124,013 so as you can see it is not small.

Where ever you choose in NC you can't go wrong unless you chose Durham or Fayetteville. Not desireable.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 02-26-2008, 10:24 AM

well first i have to specify that we live in mebane, so we are not in big cities like durham and greensboro where there are more restaurants etc.
as for schools, we are in the orange county district and my son is too young so i am not sure. but i havent really heard any complaints like in wake county.
some people complain that durham is crime ridden. i havent had any problems there myself, but not there too often. but there are planty of problems right here in alamance--especially burlington. (mebane is part of both orange and alamance counties)
we get the news from greensboro/high point and hear of drug, gang crimes as well as theivery--so no place is safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point