Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 02:39 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,815,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
US 29 is planned to be upgraded to I-785 between G'boro and Danville, but no funding exists for actually doing a majority of the work. A short section of I-785 exists in Danville, and the new G'boro outer loop will carry both the I-840 and I-785 designation from I-85 to US 29. The section in between is not on NCDOT's funding plan.
The US-29 freeway around Danville between the state line and Blairs still needs upgrading before it can be signed as I-785 due to the interchanges being woefully substandard due to short acceleration ramps and an at-grade access at Elizabeth Street needs to be closed off. There are no plans in VA to do any upgrades and the "Future I-785" signs on US-29 around Danville are gone now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Okay. So is US 29 north of the Beltway, a freeway to Virginia? I understand U.S. 220 is being transformed into a freeway/interstate to VA?
US-29 is interstate standard between the US-29 Business interchange just south of Reidsville and the US-58/US-29 Business interchange in Danville just across the state line. The section between Reidsville and I-840 is the only part of US-29 that needs upgrading before NCDOT can sign their section of I-785.

As for US-220, it's planned to become I-73 between where the current I-73 construction project ends and the VA state line. However, NCDOT would just be wasting money if they upgrade US-220 to VA. There's no support at the state level in VA for I-73 except for one vocal state senator, Bill Stanley, who keeps hitting one dead end after another. Poor guy is borderline delusional at this point.

I support I-73, but VA is waaay behind NC when it comes to highway transportation. The fact that southside VA is at the bottom of the political totem pole in Richmond doesn't help either.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:41 AM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times
Thanks, LM. While NC is the only state really making headway on I-73, I-73 is already a substantial reality in NC, and I see no reason not to go ahead and complete it within the state. It already a reality from Greensboro to near Rockingham, and is a great asset for that corridor. Might as well complete it within our state.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
New portion of i-73 (US220/Hwy 68 connector)connecting Greensboro to Rockingham is schedule to open in May.

http://www.wfmynews2.com/img/resize/...et=video-still

Old 12-14-2016, 08:40 AM

126 posts, read 199,852 times
Hey gang!

I've been following up on the progress of the interstates in NC and I must say that NCDOT gets their projects done! Makes me feel bad that Virginia keeps pussyfooting on their end but I digress. I need some help regarding some of these projects and "where" they are at.

I took a trip down to Greensboro on yesterday and my g/f and I took a different route to the city and I noticed several major construction points and wanted to ask exactly what the name of the locations are and what interstate section is being built? If that makes any sense?!

I'm one of them "visual/landmark" people versus the "directional/road name" people PLUS I'm still learning how to get around Greensboro myself after all these years. It's sad but I only knew how to travel through Greensboro via I-85 to i-73 back to I-40 to NC 68 to US 220 to Virginia (or vice versa/albeit the opposite direction) to SC. The only other thing I knew was how to get to Four Seasons Mall or Friendly Center (VIA Google Maps and the lady giving me directions)

*Keep in mind, I'm giving the best descriptions (SOUTH BOUND into Greensboro)

Anyways....I noticed a new "flyover ramp" (if this is the right terminology) when I was on US 220 and normally I would take NC 68 (at the radio tower) but decided to take Battleground Avenue. Is this construction apart of the new I-73 that is supposed to eventually connect to Virginia?

From the start of Battleground Avenue, I noticed a new set of lanes on my far right with Noise Barrier walls? Is this still I-73?

Then further down for about a few miles, I saw what looks to be a new highway grade intersection being built and it looked like we went over a flyover ramp on the right.

Then going past Summerfield crossing over the lakes looks to be US 220 Highway widening???

Finally the kicker....right at Kensington Place apartments there are two massive bridges being built for what interstate?

I hope I didn't confuse any readers here but these were the best descriptions I could give. I was so impressed by the construction projects, I was taking a lot of pictures while in the passenger seat!

*BONUS question. What are the bridges/roads being built by PTI airport??? The area I'm referring is between Leaborne Road (Donald W. Cameron Campus) and Pleasant Ridge Road.

Thank you!!!!!

Old 12-14-2016, 09:57 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,375,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlscrkeva View Post
Finally the kicker....right at Kensington Place apartments there are two massive bridges being built for what interstate?

That's the new Greensboro Urban Loop. https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/greensborourbanloop/

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlscrkeva View Post
*BONUS question. What are the bridges/roads being built by PTI airport??? The area I'm referring is between Leaborne Road (Donald W. Cameron Campus) and Pleasant Ridge Road.

I think that's future I-73. https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/futureI73/

Old 07-24-2017, 12:37 PM

New spending plan focuses on wrapping up big projects | Government | greensboro.com

Old 08-03-2017, 06:13 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,219,632 times
Economic developer proposes another interstate coming into Greensboro. His proposal would upgrade hwy 421 to interstate standards and link I-95 with Piedmont Triad International Airport. It would likely be a triple digit interstate like I-895 or something like that. A number of the state's industrial megasites are along the corridor including the Greensboro-Randolph megasite which is being marketed to attract an automobile plant. This is the main purpose for his proposal, to make these sites attractive for big manufacturers. If his proposal were to become a reality, Greensboro would have highways with six interstate designations. (I-40, I-85, I-73, I-840, I-785, hwy 421 corridor/I-895? ) It would also mean that a section of Greensboro's beltway would have three interstates on the same stretch.

The corridor would come very close to linking Greensboro with Fayetteville via interstate highway. I think the route should directly connect Greensboro with Fayetteville.

Is there a Megasite Highway in the region's future? | Business | greensboro.com

Last edited by gsoboi78; 08-03-2017 at 07:00 PM..

Old 08-03-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The corridor would come very close to linking Greensboro with Fayetteville via interstate highway. I think the route should directly connect Greensboro with Fayetteville.

Is there a Megasite Highway in the region's future? | Business | greensboro.com
I agree and it might get more support for it since the new corridor could be pushed as a way to link Fort Bragg to the Midwest via connections to I-73, I-40, and US-52 (Future I-74). I don't see this new interstate happening otherwise. Having the support of the military would go far toward making this new interstate a reality. Eastern NC was very successful in that regard with future interstates I-42, I-87, and I-795's future extension to I-40. Future I-587 is the only new interstate in eastern NC that did not involve the military.

Linking to Fayetteville would require upgrading NC-87 to interstate standards as well, in addition to US-421, and a new bypass of Spring Lake with a new interchange with NC-295 (Future I-295).

Old 08-04-2017, 03:56 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,219,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I agree and it might get more support for it since the new corridor could be pushed as a way to link Fort Bragg to the Midwest via connections to I-73, I-40, and US-52 (Future I-74). I don't see this new interstate happening otherwise. Having the support of the military would go far toward making this new interstate a reality. Eastern NC was very successful in that regard with future interstates I-42, I-87, and I-795's future extension to I-40. Future I-587 is the only new interstate in eastern NC that did not involve the military.

Linking to Fayetteville would require upgrading NC-87 to interstate standards as well, in addition to US-421, and a new bypass of Spring Lake with a new interchange with NC-295 (Future I-295).
That interstate link would be more beneficial to Fayetteville than Greensboro because right now there is no interstate that directly connects Fayetteville to other big population centers in the state. The city is kind of isolated. In fact additional interstate spurs between Charlotte and Fayetteville and Raleigh and Fayetteville would really give the city the kind of transportation network it needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point