Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 10:17 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times

Advertisements

Toyota and Mazda eyeing U.S. plants with North Carolina being on the short list. Of the state's mega sites, the Greensboro-Randolph mega site is most prepared for an auto mobile manufacturer. More reason to turn Hwy 421 into an interstate.

A major announcement that will bring 4,000 jobs to the U. S. is suppose to happen Friday. If either car manufacturer selects the Greensboro area site, I could see a research development center being built at Gateway University Research Park. Greensboro already manufactures Honda Jets and High Point manufactures buses at Thomas Built Buses so the area has a trained workforce for automobile manufacturing.

Greensboro-Randolph Megasite ideal for Toyota, Mazda plant, experts say – myfox8.com

Last edited by gsoboi78; 08-07-2017 at 10:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 12:16 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Toyota and Mazda eyeing U.S. plants with North Carolina being on the short list. Of the state's mega sites, the Greensboro-Randolph mega site is most prepared for an auto mobile manufacturer. More reason to turn Hwy 421 into an interstate.

A major announcement that will bring 4,000 jobs to the U. S. is suppose to happen Friday. If either car manufacturer selects the Greensboro area site, I could see a research development center being built at Gateway University Research Park. Greensboro already manufactures Honda Jets and High Point manufactures buses at Thomas Built Buses so the area has a trained workforce for automobile manufacturing.

Greensboro-Randolph Megasite ideal for Toyota, Mazda plant, experts say – myfox8.com
Keeping my fingers crossed! This would be awesome for the area!

Old 08-08-2017, 06:18 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:

Take a cold shower Derek. First all, the "announcement" that the news story talked about happening on "Friday" refers to last Friday's announcement of the plant, not an announcement this Friday of the location of that plant. Secondly, there is no "short list" that anyone outside of the project knows anything about.

Third, there is only one plant, not two. Its a joint venture between Toyota and Mazda.

NC is a long shot to land this plant, due to our current political situation. I do not see the General Assembly signing off a large enough incentive package to land this plant. I hope I'm wrong, but it would be a major surprise if we land this project.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:09 AM

North Carolina is the only state in the southeast without an automobile plant so maybe that helps us stand out. Im terms of incentives, its been a stumbling block in the general assembly regardless of whether democrats or republicans are in control. State politicians seem to always under bid for these automobile plants. I don't think anyone is a big fan of incentives but thats how the game is played and we have to do it to attract companies. Just maybe our current general assembly will have a change of heart and put together a deal Toyota and Mazda can't refuse.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:14 AM

4,587 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Does Virginia have an auto plant? West Virginia? Florida?

Old 08-08-2017, 09:17 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
North Carolina is the only state in the southeast without an automobile plant so maybe that helps us stand out.
And why do you think we are the only state without an automotive manufacturing plant? We've been looked at for several of the most recent ones...our incentive packages haven't been competitive. There's no reason to think that will change.

SC's incentive package for Volvo was over $200 million. The Toyota/Mazda plant is 2 to 3 times larger, so I suspect it will command $500 million in incentives. Phil Berger isn't writing that check.

Quote:
I'm terms of incentives, its been a stumbling block in the general assembly regardless of whether democrats or republicans are in control. State politicians seem to always under bid for these automobile plants. I don't think anyone is a big fan of incentives but thats how the game is played and we have to do it to attract companies. Just maybe our current general assembly will have a change of heart and put together a deal Toyota and Mazda can't refuse.
Just maybe lots of things will happen. History and logic suggest otherwise.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:29 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Does Virginia have an auto plant? West Virginia? Florida?
I'm not sure about Florida, but Virginia and West Virginia aren't really southeast. Granted, Norfolk used to have a Ford plant.

Also, I agree with BC. As much as I would love for a major auto manufacturer to choose the mega-site for their next plant, I can't see it happening anytime soon. Not in this political climate. Strategically, the site could be a home run. But the incentives package just isn't even going to be remotely competitive.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:05 PM

4,587 posts, read 6,414,204 times
For certain, the great bulk of people consider Virginia part of the Southeast. West Virginia is debatable; Virginia is not.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:40 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times
You sure that Virginia isn't up for debate? I see Virginia included in some maps of the southeast, and not included on others. In fact, most entities that put Virginia in the southeast also put West Virginia in it. But there are plenty of people who do not include Virginia in the southeast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southe..._United_States (Yes, I know it's Wikipedia)
https://www.bls.gov/regions/southeast/
Do you consider Virginia to be a Southeastern State geographically? (here's a debate on this very forum about the topic)
https://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/...-in-the-south/ ("Virginia, Arkansas and Kentucky hovered at about 50 percent.")

Clearly this is debatable. And I think it could be argued either way. I've always felt that the state didn't really fit in either the north or the south. As far as the article in question, clearly the author was not considering Virginia to be southeastern.

And of course, there are plenty of examples that DO include Virginia in the Southeast. I'm just saying that it isn't as cut and dried as you say. And by the way, a few years ago I probably would have agreed with you.

Last edited by HRVT; 08-08-2017 at 10:54 PM..

Old 08-09-2017, 08:09 AM

Often I hear Virginia being called a Mid-Atlantic state like Maryland. Technically its in the south because its below the Mason Dixon line. The south is divided into two regions. The upper south and the deep south. Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee and North Carolina are considered the upper south. South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi Arkansas, Louisiana and Florida are considered the deep south. The culture of West Virginia is very southern but West Virginia is debatable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point