U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

For sale by owner, seeking information on switching from for sale by owner to real estate agent, hoping for faster sale, reasons to use a listing agent

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,069 times

Advertisements

What, other than a discount broker fee/smaller commission, would entice you to list with a broker after you have tried selling on your own with not much luck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 04:31 PM

22 posts, read 54,122 times
I have FSBO in the past. I am using a realtor now in the hopes it will speed the process. That's not working, so I may go back to FSBO. The ONLY thing that made me list was a hope for increased foot traffic/speedier sale. I did have "buyers agents welcome" on my FSBO sign, and did sell it that way, so I paid out 2.5%. Still a big savings to me, and had a lot of realtors drop in. So if you're a realtor asking, I would say to market yourself as being able to bring in more lookers and make a faster sale. If you're a seller, I say go for it, but be open to paying a buyer's agent or you could be on the market a long time.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:15 AM

525 posts, read 1,924,689 times
Remember, if you advertise "buyer's agents welcome" then expect to a) pay a fee (usually in this area it's 3%) and b) still have no representation. The agent who you will be paying represents the BUYER.

The reason you should pay a commission is protection- If you know the contracts and the laws about disclosure and have attorneys at your disposal and can deal with the problems and negotiations surrounding repairs and contracts, if you can schedule appointments and feel comfortable letting total strangers in your house... Then go FSBO.

Lord knows, us agents go to bed every night on a huge pile of your money.

There's no emoticon to reflect the above sarcasm, is there?

Old 02-26-2008, 11:30 AM

I wasn't trying to argue the point of realtor vs. FSBO. I was trying to tell the poster what would make me go to a realtor. Since you are a realtor, perhaps you should note what I said. If you are trying to convince someone not to go FSBO, protection, strangers, etc. are not going to get the convince them to use a realtor. Convincing them you can market it better and sell it faster will.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosadelic View Post
I wasn't trying to argue the point of realtor vs. FSBO. I was trying to tell the poster what would make me go to a realtor. Since you are a realtor, perhaps you should note what I said. If you are trying to convince someone not to go FSBO, protection, strangers, etc. are not going to get the convince them to use a realtor. Convincing them you can market it better and sell it faster will.
I wasn't trying to convince anyone of anything- just pointing out what we do besides marketing. There's a lot to what we do, and most of us aren't rich by any stretch. "Selling Faster" isn't the answer for everyone- priced right, staged, and properly marketed sells, but the price matters. If you price it too low, yeah it will sell faster but that may not get you the bottom line that you need.

76% of buyers in 2006 used the internet to buy or sell their home, find an agent, or find a loan. So if you have an agent who is putting an ad in the paper, that just isn't enough. And many of us do a lot more than just put a sign in the yard.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:24 AM

Going through the FSBO process before, I received a lot of flyers from realtors. Most of them pushed the security issues or the fact they could value the property accurately. Those were not things that really appealed to me. Now, if I had received a flyer that stated they could bring in the foot traffic, they could get more showings, etc. through their marketing abilities, I would have been persuaded. It just didn't seem like any of the flyers touted that as a benefit, which totally befuddles me.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:32 AM

718 posts, read 1,804,458 times
Because it would have been a lie. Realtors do not have "magic wands" in this neighborhood. How fast or how slow your property sells is totally up to you and the price you ask. Every property sells when properly priced.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
Because it would have been a lie. Realtors do not have "magic wands" in this neighborhood. How fast or how slow your property sells is totally up to you and the price you ask. Every property sells when properly priced.
and there you are. In some cases, you will have LESS foot traffic with a realtor. Because our job is to find a ready, willing and ABLE buyer for your home. I prefer to make sure every single person who walks in the door is qualified to buy the home before I bother to show it. And unless you are doing that, you may be getting tons of foot traffic, but not qualified foot traffic. I prefer to put fliers out in front of every home and put a visual tour online (not a virtual tour- an actual video tour of the home) so that the phone doesn't ring all the time. When it DOES ring, it is someone who is actually interested in the home.

Increased foot traffic? I can do that by letting in every lookeeloo on the planet. Waste of your time and my time and MONEY.

Just saying.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:51 PM

In selling FSBO, I had about 2 showings a week. 90%+ of these were realtors with clients already viewing similarly priced homes in the neighborhood. Now that I have mine listed with a realtor, I've had 3 showings in 3 months, and 2 no shows. The other homes in the neighborhood have had more showings and all sold. So, now I have "accurate" pricing, a flyer box that's never been refilled, not one showing by my realtor himself, and not one instance where I've received feedback. I am reluctantly going back to FSBO tonight, when his contract expires. But the benefits of this realtor have been a little less than apparent to me. Now, IF, in the course of FSBO, a realtor left a flyer stating "hey, I'll get the showings, I'll bring the traffic, I'll refill your little box, and I'll keep in touch" then I would likely go for it, simply because dh is already gone, and I am eager to GO. Pricing? Whatever, we have it priced barely over what we paid, and that was a huge chunk off the list price back then. We're talking a 2yo home with zero flaws and kept spotless. I have pets, but I erase all signs of their existence when a showing is scheduled. I even bought a steam cleaner so the carpet looks brand new at all times. So this week I had yet another no-show, fake showing that involved me loading a terminally ill dog in the car and parking away from the house for an hour and a half just sitting there. The dog died. Not in a real realtor friendly mood. In the duration of the contract, the only time I heard anything was when he called to see if I wanted to renew. That was it, the one contact. So, YES, I want someone to LIE TO ME and say they will show my house more than I can myself! Bring in the lookieloos, at least I can have the illusion that you're doing something. I understand this guy was a crap realtor, not indicative of the trade as a whole, but I can figure out the value, I know to have neutrals and flowers and spotless, odor free home. I don't give a darn about security, even though I should. I think I represent a lot of homeowners who simply want or need to get the heck out of here. And I DO believe that some realtors have a magic wand. It's called charisma and work ethic, and it's what gets them into the million dollar club, and top salesperson of the year, etc. That doesn't come on the internet, or from a flyer, it comes from a talent for sales and the drive to make it happen, and it's a very, very valuable magic wand. I want a realtor who says, "Yes, I have a magic wand. I am the best and I will sell your house." I can put the thing on craigslist and realtor.com. I can get CMAs all day long. It IS the magic wand that I, and people like me, are looking for. I want a salesman, not a listing agent.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:54 AM

12 posts, read 35,368 times
Default I feel your pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosadelic View Post
And I DO believe that some realtors have a magic wand. It's called charisma and work ethic, and it's what gets them into the million dollar club, and top salesperson of the year, etc. That doesn't come on the internet, or from a flyer, it comes from a talent for sales and the drive to make it happen, and it's a very, very valuable magic wand. I want a realtor who says, "Yes, I have a magic wand. I am the best and I will sell your house." I can put the thing on craigslist and realtor.com. I can get CMAs all day long. It IS the magic wand that I, and people like me, are looking for. I want a salesman, not a listing agent.
I have a house in Philly currently being rented for this same reason. Have you considered renting? Do you have a link to your ad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point