U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:02 PM

12 posts, read 187,342 times

Advertisements

Can anyone offer an opinion on Mebane?

How's the commute to Durham or Greensboro?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 09:18 PM

2,932 posts, read 6,909,720 times
Commute to Durham and Greensboro would be very quick. I just saw on the news they were possibly building a huge shopping development there.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:11 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,639,056 times
mebane is a quiet little town that is growning. i know agents say that about all towns. this is actually true for mebane. commute to southpoint area in durham is about 20 minutes. not sureabout greensboro

Old 02-26-2008, 08:04 AM

408 posts, read 1,327,231 times
Hi-

Depending on where you live in Mebane and where you are going, the commute to Durham could be 30 minutes, to Greensboro 35 or so. It's a pretty easy drive on 85/40.

We just moved from south of Mebane to out of state. We had easy commutes to Duke and UNC from that location.

Mebane and Efland both offer quite a lot of value for the $.

Good luck!

Old 03-27-2008, 10:39 AM

143 posts, read 444,039 times
Mebane's definitely on the way up but doesn't seem to be growing out-of-control yet. The downtown area is reviving, lots of the usual places to "get your stuff" (Lowe's, Wal-mart, etc.).

It does seem to be out of the path of the "super growth" phenomenon (Cary, Fuquay, etc. places immediately around RTP) but I like it that way.

Commutes are longer in the direction of Durham/Raleigh due to more traffic than the direction of Greensboro. RDU (Raleigh/Durham Airport) and GSO (Piedmont Trian Int'l Airport) are almost exactly the same distance apart and take about the same amount of time to reach. None of the commuting is "really bad" in the sense of LA or Boston traffic.

There is a small patch of Mebane that is in Orange County, the rest is in Alamance. Choosing your county may be important to you for different reasons (costs vs. services).

It's turning into quite an active town these days.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:39 AM

30 posts, read 69,941 times
From the Orange County side of Mebane you can be at Duke in about 15 to 20, Southpoint in 20, and Chapel Hill in 20 to 25. The nicest thing is not having any of the traffic that you see in Cary/Raleigh/Apex...even Durham to some extent. Several but not to many new Developments going up in and around Mebane. You are able to buy new homes in Orange County at a great value compared to the rest of the County (Ex: Hillsborough, Chapel Hill) If Buckhorn Village gets built there will be a mall slightly smaller than Southpoint about 3 miles from downtown. Great place to live.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:44 PM

12 posts, read 37,989 times
What I love about Mebane is that it is a small town, it's clean, great schools, convenient to Durham and Greensboro. It's just a feel good town. I plan to relocate there myself soon.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:05 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,125,980 times
I live on the Orange County side of Mebane in Ashbury. The commute to Duke is about 20-25 minutes for us, which is not bad at all, considering that it took us 15-20 minutes when we lived right in Durham. I have co-workers who live in Cary, Apex, and Carrboro, and it takes them twice as long to get to work because of all the traffic.

When/if they build the Buckhorn Village mall, it will be about 2 miles from my house.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:23 PM

130 posts, read 358,528 times
I have lived in Carrboro, Cary, Chapel Hill and have settled in Mebane. It is the best place I have ever lived and that includes Reston Va. and the south of France.

Schools are great. Crime is about non-existent. Home prices are silly low. Zero traffic. Easy drive to anywhere. Great people from all over the country and the natives are first-class folks. Superb community college one exit west. Real small town feel and some unique shopping and night spots. Low taxes, but great city and county services. The public library is new and first class. Perfect place to raise kids. New hospital. New mall on the drawing board. Growing, but not too fast. Real countryside comes to the edge of town. Business and jobs are starting to locate in Mebane slowly. Can't understand how anyone would not love it, frankly.

Fact: When I lived in Carrboro my drive to work in Chapel Hill was always 22-30 minutes because of traffic lights and traffic. My drive to the same place in Chapel Hill is 18-20 minutes max and little if any traffic. Gas and food prices are much lower than Chapel Hill....heck... Men's shirts dry-cleand and pressed are a dollar. When you call a local plumber, electrician or HVAC guy you get quality work for a shockingly low price compared to the "big city"---this I know for a fact.

Only downsides: Barnes & Nobel is twenty minutes east or west so we won't be getting one anytime soon. Mebane Enterprise is a pretty medicocre small town paper. No movie theatre---yet, but the Graham theatre has movies for two bucks a ticket 12 minutes up the road. Almost forgot...we have two real Bar-B-Que joints that are world class.

Last edited by 2BZee2Pee; 05-11-2008 at 10:36 PM..

Old 05-12-2008, 05:51 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,639,056 times
SHHHH
dont sell it TOO well--we dont want people rushing over here too fast--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point