Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 04:10 AM

464 posts, read 520,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
It wasn't so long ago that Greensboro was larger than Raleigh. Go back another decade from then and I think that W-S was also larger. Growth over time accumulates. Durham is no longer positioning for 4th and soon it will be battling for 3rd. The only caveat is that cities can no longer annex at will and Greensboro does have 19 more square miles of land than Durham. Durham started this decade with a lot of runway in regard to ppl/sm. It wasn't all that densely populated. Will its relatively small land area eventually slow its growth rate? Time will tell. Then there's the monster that's lurking....Cary!
100% agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 12:25 PM

554 posts, read 620,990 times
The times I visited Winston-Salem I have never been impressed.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:43 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,329,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyDee View Post
The times I visited Winston-Salem I have never been impressed.
Your visits must have been a long time ago, or not very in-depth.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:01 PM

241 posts, read 336,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
no jobs

I dont consider it much different from say roanoke VA

no diversity either can feel pretty bible belt ish
This. I'm a WS native and it is far and away better than it was in 80s and 90s. There's much more activity downtown than in those times in terms of nightlife, lots of bars and restaurants.

That being said, I think the history of the city has left some deep impressions. Winston is provincial for a city of its size, IMO. I think it's slow to change and adopt innovate ideas like RTP and Charlotte. It is less diverse than Greensboro, which boasts not only a well-established Jewish community, but other international communities. Greensboro is a college town with a couple more universities than Winston. The large public university aspect, I believe, adds a certain flavor and liveliness to a city that you don't see in places without one. I can say this being an ECU alumnus and was dumbfounded to see a relative abundance of eclectic businesses and activities in a small rural town a fraction of the size of WS. WS and it's colleges are economically stratified and historically have served specific groups of people: an HBCU, small public arts college, private small women's school, and a private elite university.

Couple that with the history of tobacco and textiles which are blue collar industries that don't really exist anymore and you have a city that feels a little smaller than it is. The class and race divisions created by those factory jobs still remains. I do believe service industry jobs are the most plentiful. The Winston area isn't really known for quality employment and the Triad is pretty much the most food insecure location in the nation. That speaks to a persistent inequality in opportunity for people, as a whole. I think that's why it feels kinda stagnant.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:12 PM

241 posts, read 336,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Over the many decades and despite the balance of the park between Durham and Wake Cos., RTP has done more for Raleigh's growth than for Durham's. Durham has made a conscious and focused effort starting a couple of decades ago to transform itself that has changed its trajectory.
Agreed. However, its proximity to Raleigh definitely helped. The median income of Winston and Durham household are noticeably different by over $10K. I really liked the creativity and time they took to convert a huge tobacco warehouse facility into a bunch of trendy little restaurants called American Tobacco district. There's a little waterway that runs through it. In warm months, you can watch a Bulls game from the patio of Tobacco Road restaurant. It's really cool. Also, they have a two relatively large concert venues downtown and Winston doesn't. Those things make a city feel like a city, IMO.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:26 PM

239 posts, read 304,705 times
Honestly Winston salem and durhams downtowns are number 2 and 3 to me above raliegh and Greensboro.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:15 PM

6,152 posts, read 7,180,557 times
I don't think Winston-Salem is stagnant. But I have heard that outside of the downtown area there is not thay much going on and the city outside of downtown doesnt have a lot of urban qualities.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:21 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,346,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I don't think Winston-Salem is stagnant. But I have heard that outside of the downtown area there is not thay much going on and the city outside of downtown doesnt have a lot of urban qualities.
You've heard? You're a half hour away. You can always go see for yourself.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:24 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,329,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post

Those statements are so vague as to be meaningless.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:06 PM

6,152 posts, read 7,180,557 times
I guess what i meant was you don't see the wide freeways and heavy development coming into the city like you do in Charlotte Raleigh and Greensboro. Its almost like you see a lot of trees and then boom you are downtown. Thats not a bad thing btw. Winston-Salem has the opportunity for better urban development outside the center city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point