Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 07:17 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,958,699 times

Advertisements

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/new...-strategy.html

In the wake of the outstanding ARCH Capital Group news, the city of Greensboro, has decided to shift it'S direct focus and resourses to Greensboros strength in business and growing existing companies, aswell as the growing aviation economy.

From the article :

The economic development priorities for Greensboro center around six focus areas: the Greensboro/Randolph County megasite, downtown Greensboro, the Piedmont Triad International Airport, Revolution Mill, Infill Development Areas and the Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering.

These focus areas will be carried out through the following initiatives:

Business recruitment – support and fund new business recruitment and strategic infrastructure investment activities.

Business support – focus and align resources and support services to ensure Greensboro is a destination where all businesses can flourish.

Marketing and branding – campaign to promote the many economic and community assets and amenities in Greensboro.

Innovative ideas and partnerships – explore new business ideas by cultivating and leveraging existing partnerships and relationships with community stakeholders.

I always said Greensboro needs to focus on it's strengths. Luring breweries and nightclubs are not going to grow a city. Luring big companies while supporting and growing existing ones are what drastically grows a city.

What are you thoughts CD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 07:50 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
I agree. It's always about jobs jobs jobs. City leaders need to think outside the box and try strategies other city's have used. I'd like to see tv ads running across the state about Greensboro. Asheville and more recently Charlotte has done it.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:41 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
IMO, focusing can be detrimental to a city's economy because while focus is place on an issue or segment others can get neglected. City leaders should have a mind set that is all encompassing. Hope this approach works.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:40 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
IMO, focusing can be detrimental to a city's economy because while focus is place on an issue or segment others can get neglected. City leaders should have a mind set that is all encompassing. Hope this approach works.
I think the city's approach makes sense; you want to capitalize on your strengths and build upon those, especially since resources are limited.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think the city's approach makes sense; you want to capitalize on your strengths and build upon those, especially since resources are limited.
I wasn't disagreeing with it on the level. City government can be guilty of focusing too much on one or two areas while others get neglected......as I said. Focus is one of those buzzwords I don't care to use unless you're studying for an exam.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:27 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I wasn't disagreeing with it on the level. City government can be guilty of focusing too much on one or two areas while others get neglected......as I said. Focus is one of those buzzwords I don't care to use unless you're studying for an exam.
I think you're reading waaaayyy too much into it. It's not like the city is going to neglect the day-to-day functions of municipal government just because they are fine-tuning their approach to economic development.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:50 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times
Quote:
I think you're reading waaaayyy too much into it. It's not like the city is going to neglect the day-to-day functions of municipal government just because they are fine-tuning their approach to economic development.
Exactly. Day to day function will still be a focus too. There will still be a focus on attracting restaurants/brewery/etc development as well. But this is more of a slight shift, especially now while the iron is hot with the addition of Arch. Perhaps over the next couple years we could hear another major announcement or two pertaining to new companies calling Greensboro home.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:49 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,958,699 times
I always thought Mack or Volvo should have made a secondary office downtown, but the airport area works better for their headquarters, but Quorvo could have definitely moved downtown, yet they just finished that massive suburban office building near the airport.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:19 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
I always thought Mack or Volvo should have made a secondary office downtown, but the airport area works better for their headquarters, but Quorvo could have definitely moved downtown, yet they just finished that massive suburban office building near the airport.
that huge 4 or 5 story Bank of America center in northern High Point at the edge of Greensboro was a wasted opportunity. The amount of office space in that building could have easily filled a 20-story plus building in downtown Greensboro.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Nobody said anything about day to day functions. But here's an example: High Point Rd- The once crown jewel area slid into despair while the city focused on other areas. With the addition of attractions at the coliseum the City finally started to pay attention to that area again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point