U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 03:00 PM

247 posts, read 916,909 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from Memphis, TN and I guarantee you I've seen less racism in Winston Salem compared to there!

I have found Winston Salem to be a small city with big city conveniences. Less traffic, more family-oriented, and overall good community. As for the job market, I really can't answer that question. My husband is in education and has had no problems finding employment in the area. I work from home (and most of my business comes from out of state). What kind of work are you looking for?

$1200 does seem a bit high for rent. Do you wish to rent a house or an apartment? Have you checked out craigslist? That can give you a pretty good idea on rent costs.

craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 03:06 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,518,458 times
We're actually looking in Katy but also like Texas City and Galveston.

Anywhere you go in a city the size of Houston is bound to have its problems with gangs, crime, traffic, ect, ect. Like I said though, We're from Florida orig. so we're used to all of that stuff.

We're moving in a pact of 3 families, Me, My wife and kid, My sister, her husband and 3 kids, and my mother.

We'll either need a huge place or two smaller places. We're not people with careers like Teachers, Doctors, Lawyers, ect, ect so we're really just looking for jobs that pay more than $9-10 an hour and rent that's less than $800 a month, REALLY would like a house over apartment.

As for Memphis, tippster, I was sent to do work in Memphis for a construction company I worked for back in 2004, I'll never return to Memphis for anything. That says alot too because there's really no places I can honestly say I hate.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:49 PM

247 posts, read 916,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post
As for Memphis, tippster, I was sent to do work in Memphis for a construction company I worked for back in 2004, I'll never return to Memphis for anything. That says alot too because there's really no places I can honestly say I hate.
That's why we moved. My husband and I did not want to raise our children there. It was hard to leave family behind, but it's been worth it.

I do not think you will have a hard time finding a job in Winston Salem. It sounds like you all need a big place to rent. You may be better off renting two smaller places. Rent tends to run anywhere from $700 to upwards of $2000. It depends upon the area.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:32 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,518,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippster View Post
That's why we moved. My husband and I did not want to raise our children there. It was hard to leave family behind, but it's been worth it.

I do not think you will have a hard time finding a job in Winston Salem. It sounds like you all need a big place to rent. You may be better off renting two smaller places. Rent tends to run anywhere from $700 to upwards of $2000. It depends upon the area.
I'm also looking at the family aspect of it. While I'd love to be able to raise a family in the open country of N.C., I'd also like my kid(s) to be able to experience the diversity of one of the U.S. largest cities. Not to mention the weather, beaches, ect, ect...

I'm not sure what to do exactly because I have no idea what the job market is like in the triad area and I know I can get a job in Houston in no time. We were also considering moving back to Florida but I know that if we go there, yeah I can get a job there but $6 an hour doesn't really do it for me vs. $1200 a month rent.

I'd say that anything less than $900 a month is fine so long as all the jobs in Winston-Salem don't pay $7-8 an hour. You know ?

Old 03-03-2008, 09:03 PM

627 posts, read 1,864,582 times
A simple 'thank you' would have sufficed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLNative23 View Post
Yeah, Thanks... I guess if everyone in North Carolina is as friendly as you are, I should just consider going elsewhere...

Old 03-10-2008, 07:21 PM

12 posts, read 39,875 times
Hi...my husband is currently working in Houston and my daughter and I are still here living in Greensboro, NC. We go out there every few weeks to visit. We have lived all over NC, and other than the beach areas, the cost of living is MUCH lower than Houston. Not to mention we have large cities here, but not overwhelmingly big like Houston. I do not know if it is an option, but the Raleigh/Durham, Chapel Hill area was our favorite place to live by far. We went to college in Raleigh. You will not encounter racism in any way there and there is so much to do as well as lots of jobs. There are lots of opportunities here in the triad as well, but more in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill (triangle) or Charlotte. UPS is a great company to work for, so do check them out no matter where you go. On the note of Houston, I do like it there. Lots of different things than in NC....but it is really not a place I want to raise my now two-year-old. I cannot say that I have been to many of the suburbs of Houston, but I have heard the commute is a big problem if you will be working in Houston. Hope this helps. I just thought I might have a good angle since we are living in Greensboro half the month and Houston the other half. Good luck where ever you go!

Old 03-12-2008, 01:52 PM

779 posts, read 2,932,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_Random View Post
A simple 'thank you' would have sufficed.
No kidding! There is never any excuse for rudeness.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:36 PM

893 posts, read 446,116 times
Lexington, Davidson County are way behind the race issue compared to Winston. Lived in Davidson county 9 years total and had friends that I had to teach about equality. Worked in Winston and can't believe they are right next to each other.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,033 times
Question Want to move for better life for children and myself

Hi
I am a single parent of a two girls and I was thinking of relocating to winston-salem area. I have lived in Charleston,SC all my life and I am beyond ready to leave. I don't have any family that I am close to here and I real would like to make the move because I would like to make a better life for me and my 2 children. I just don't know where to start?

I have been on alot of websites and the information is helpful but, I would appreciate more first-hand knowledge. I need information about public housing and school districts as well as neighborhoods in general. Any and all information will be appreciated. I also think I should let everyone know I am african-american, if that makes a difference and I do not want to move for at least six months to a year from now (my oldest will be graduating from high school soon and I don't want to make a major move like this until she finishes her senior year and I am also attending college and I would like to finish school also).

Old 03-19-2008, 01:26 AM

1,261 posts, read 3,897,883 times
I would look around Kernersville, Clemmons and Lewisville. I don't know anything about public housing though. Sorry. I wish I could help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point