U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 07:49 AM

28 posts, read 152,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschas View Post
Hi
I am a single parent of a two girls and I was thinking of relocating to winston-salem area. I have lived in Charleston,SC all my life and I am beyond ready to leave. I don't have any family that I am close to here and I real would like to make the move because I would like to make a better life for me and my 2 children. I just don't know where to start?

I have been on alot of websites and the information is helpful but, I would appreciate more first-hand knowledge. I need information about public housing and school districts as well as neighborhoods in general. Any and all information will be appreciated. I also think I should let everyone know I am african-american, if that makes a difference and I do not want to move for at least six months to a year from now (my oldest will be graduating from high school soon and I don't want to make a major move like this until she finishes her senior year and I am also attending college and I would like to finish school also).
MSCHS - Maybe this is info that you and FutureTexan can use? Not sure:

I currently live in Ft.Laud,but have a place in GSO and go there often. I lived in GSO for 25 years and love the area. GSO is about 20 miles East of Winston, but might be a good alternative for Future Texan as well.

Although the crime in GSO is not really lower than even here in Ft.Laud, it seems to be concentrated in the Eastern neighborhoods, near the Hwy 29 Corridor. If moving, I recommend staying West and North (Battleground Corridor area. )

The North and West part of town has newer, nicer neighborhoods, but rent/mortgage will be a bit higher. Around $1000 to $1500 for a 2 bedroom is pretty normal. You can rent a house for less if further away from town.

There are several large employers in GSO:

American Express - a diverse culture, one of GSOs largest employers.
UPS - Hub at Piedmont Triad INtl Airport, and expanding.
Visa -
Replacements Ltd - be aware, it is gay owned, but varied culture, well respected, and decent pay
Bank of America
Wachovia
Various Retail all over GSO - large concentration at 4 Seasons Town Center or Friendly Center
Moses Cone Hospital Corp - medical and non-medical positions
Real Estate Firms - various - large relatively healthy market in GSO

For public housing, contact GSO Housing Auth at Greensboro Housing Authority

Pros : Decent sized Metro area (1.2 million people) and growing past
Good airport,
6 hours drive to Atlanta and 6 hours to DC
Plenty of housing, both public and private
Clean city with plenty of trees, parks, lakes, and decent Hwys (many under construction.)
Good colleges to attend (UNC/G - Greensboro College - NCATSU ...)
Relatively friendly environment and populace
Becoming less and less bigoted as time goes on. BiRacial , Gay, Minoritys are finding fewer problems than in smaller cities that surround GSO or WS.

Cons: Cost of living in GSO and WS is not too far from other larger sized metro areas - tends to be a bit high in several areas, except for housing.
Fairly high crime, but again, concentrated to western neighborhoods
Tends to be mismanaged by City Gov't (watch them on the Gov't channel, they tend to be clueless.) ..but again, what large city isn't mismanaged these days?

All in all , GSO is not a bad place to call home.

I am less familiar with WinstSlm, though my feel for WS when I visited is that it tends to be a bit more progressive than GSO. Old Salem is a great place to visit. WinstonSalem downtown is less attractive and developed that GSO, but the city is making progress. WS has several nice parks and lakes, tends to be hilly, and is close to the mountains of NC / Blue Ridge Pkwy is about 40 minutes north. WS has some absolutely beautiful neighborhoods just west of downtown.

I wish you both luck in your search, and I hope the advice you got in here was helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 12:39 PM

779 posts, read 2,935,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallblondeguyFL View Post
MSCHS - Maybe this is info that you and FutureTexan can use? Not sure:

I currently live in Ft.Laud,but have a place in GSO and go there often. I lived in GSO for 25 years and love the area. GSO is about 20 miles East of Winston, but might be a good alternative for Future Texan as well.

Although the crime in GSO is not really lower than even here in Ft.Laud, it seems to be concentrated in the Eastern neighborhoods, near the Hwy 29 Corridor. If moving, I recommend staying West and North (Battleground Corridor area. )

The North and West part of town has newer, nicer neighborhoods, but rent/mortgage will be a bit higher. Around $1000 to $1500 for a 2 bedroom is pretty normal. You can rent a house for less if further away from town.

There are several large employers in GSO:

American Express - a diverse culture, one of GSOs largest employers.
UPS - Hub at Piedmont Triad INtl Airport, and expanding.
Visa -
Replacements Ltd - be aware, it is gay owned, but varied culture, well respected, and decent pay
Bank of America
Wachovia
Various Retail all over GSO - large concentration at 4 Seasons Town Center or Friendly Center
Moses Cone Hospital Corp - medical and non-medical positions
Real Estate Firms - various - large relatively healthy market in GSO

For public housing, contact GSO Housing Auth at Greensboro Housing Authority

Pros : Decent sized Metro area (1.2 million people) and growing past
Good airport,
6 hours drive to Atlanta and 6 hours to DC
Plenty of housing, both public and private
Clean city with plenty of trees, parks, lakes, and decent Hwys (many under construction.)
Good colleges to attend (UNC/G - Greensboro College - NCATSU ...)
Relatively friendly environment and populace
Becoming less and less bigoted as time goes on. BiRacial , Gay, Minoritys are finding fewer problems than in smaller cities that surround GSO or WS.

Cons: Cost of living in GSO and WS is not too far from other larger sized metro areas - tends to be a bit high in several areas, except for housing.
Fairly high crime, but again, concentrated to western neighborhoods
Tends to be mismanaged by City Gov't (watch them on the Gov't channel, they tend to be clueless.) ..but again, what large city isn't mismanaged these days?

All in all , GSO is not a bad place to call home.

I am less familiar with WinstSlm, though my feel for WS when I visited is that it tends to be a bit more progressive than GSO. Old Salem is a great place to visit. WinstonSalem downtown is less attractive and developed that GSO, but the city is making progress. WS has several nice parks and lakes, tends to be hilly, and is close to the mountains of NC / Blue Ridge Pkwy is about 40 minutes north. WS has some absolutely beautiful neighborhoods just west of downtown.

I wish you both luck in your search, and I hope the advice you got in here was helpful.
The western neighborhoods, really? I kept hearing it be the Eastern neighborhoods to cause more crime trouble. More info??

Old 03-20-2008, 03:09 PM

1,261 posts, read 3,902,089 times
Earlier in Tallblondeguy's post he said:

Quote:
Although the crime in GSO is not really lower than even here in Ft.Laud, it seems to be concentrated in the Eastern neighborhoods, near the Hwy 29 Corridor.
So he probably meant to say eastern instead of western there at the end of his post. And I would agree with him.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:41 PM

18 posts, read 104,508 times
F.T. -
At least come and look at Winston-Salem... we moved here 32 years ago from Connecticut, which was very good... but we stayed here... plenty for families, outdoorsmen, and sports fans... not to mention the extra special medical care available
right in town... you won't be sorry, but we do other things than the internet, which probably caused the delay... we grew up in the Great Lakes area and do not miss the snow and the Wind ..

Good luck,
tim

Old 03-23-2008, 08:27 PM

210 posts, read 446,801 times
I just left a lengthy message in another subject area: moving to NC - final thoughts. You may want to check it out. I came here for a good job opportunity, but my husband is still looking for reasonable employment. He is rather frustrated with the job market, but we are still hopeful for him. Other than that, it has been nothing but positive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point