Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,326 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating here in NC from Arkansas. I been looking for a place to live here in NC for a few months, my family lives in Jacksonville NC but there is no jobs for us here. The only job I know how to do is work in a factory or warehouse and drive trucks. My husband only knows how to drive trucks and work in the oil fields, which NC don't have oil and gas work here. I'm looking in the Greensboro or Greenville area. I don't won't to live in a huge city, but I want a town that you can walk downtown and look around without worry about someone asking you for money every step you take. So please can anyone give me their opinion where to live at that has warehouse, factory, trucking jobs, and housing is cheap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 04:14 PM

6,152 posts, read 7,144,847 times
Well Greensboro is a logistics and distribution hub and there are some trucking companies in Greensboro your husband could work for. You'll also find more manufacturing and warehouse jobs in Greensboro and with higher wages. Greensboro is a mid sized city. It's not big but it's not small. Downtown is currently undergoing major revitalization where there are plenty of restaurants, shops and entertainment options. Like in any city Greensboro's size or larger there will be panhandlers downtown. However downtown Greensboro is pretty safe. I've been a resident of downtown for almost 10 years now. I dont know too much about Greenville. It's a significantly smaller town and there will be far less restaurant, retail and entertainment options. I imagine it would also be more difficult to get a job there but there are manufacturing jobs in Greenville. The plus side is that Greenville is closer to your family and I imagine housing is cheaper in Greenville. But again jobs, particularly in the industries your husband is use to working in will be harder to find there. One thing both cities have in common is that they were both named after General Nathanael Greene, an American Revolutionary War hero.

Greensboro wiki page
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gree...North_Carolina

Greenville wiki page
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gree...North_Carolina

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-21-2017 at 04:35 PM..

Old 01-23-2017, 08:26 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,315,647 times
Just to be clear, you are talking about Greenville, NC and not Greenville, SC, right?

Old 01-25-2017, 07:17 PM

241 posts, read 335,456 times
I'm an ECU alumnus and lived in Greenville, NC for almost five years. I'm sure it's grown, but it's pretty much a small college town in a rural part of the state. The economy is far better in Greensboro. I agree with everything already posted about the cities. If pan-handlers is a concern, I don't think you'll find any more than usual in either city.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:59 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,532,284 times
I'd agree with most here that the preference would be Greensboro. Greensboro has about 150,000+ more people in the area compared to Greenville. Add in nearby Winston-Salem's population and you're talking a very heavily populated area. That brings a lot more in way of jobs and entertainment and dining and almost every other set of criteria you'd be looking for.

However, Greenville is growing at a very rapid pace right now. It's still a college town, and will probably always will be to a certain extent. But Greenville is slowly peeling itself away from being just a college town. Greenville's downtown is going through a major revitalization and several infrastructure projects are underway (10th street connector, SW Bypass). Housing is still cheap compared to other larger cities. By 2020, a good chunk of the urban core will be revitalized and almost unrecognizable. Greenville's metro is one of the fastest growing in the state.

All in all, Greensboro is still probably your better option, even with Greenville's rapid growth. I'd suggest visiting each to get a feel for the area.

I say all this as a big supporter of Greenville and a long-time former resident of Eastern NC and Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point