U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2017, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 511 times

Advertisements

Hey!
Just moved to Greensboro on Friday (and new to city-data.com). I'm looking for a gym but I don't want to go a gym-chain. I just want a basic, no frills, no thrills type of gym. The gym I went to when I lived in Texas was owned by a firefighter and had free weights and squat racks as soon as you stepped through the door and then in a room off to the left was all the machines LOL. It was just your basic gym and that's what I'm looking for. Are there any that exist like that here?

Thanks!
Naomi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 11:02 AM

12,577 posts, read 13,313,001 times
Planet Fitness is the closest I can think of to compare. The ones you describe were around decades ago and I'm not sure if they still exist.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:34 AM

86 posts, read 60,748 times
Yes it's a chain but check out planet fitness. There are two locations here in Greensboro and ones fairly new and the market st location just got all new machines around Christmas time. For ten bucks a month it couldn't hurt to try them out until u can find a gym more suited to ur needs.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:41 AM

149 posts, read 201,563 times
Check out the YMCAs in the area. They are all slightly different. Spears has a very large weight room with lots of free weights and squat racks. They have enough racks and benches so you never have to wait.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:53 PM

3,867 posts, read 6,663,842 times
YMCAs are great but are generally more expensive than most basic gyms or fitness centers. If you just want to work out, why pay for a lot of facility expense (swimming, etc) that you won't be using? Been there... done that.

OTOH, many of the Y's in NC & VA now offer reciprocity. So if you travel in the region on business or otherwise, you have wide availability of other Y's for no extra cost.

I don't have any personal knowledge of the following gym but it looks like what you're seeking:

Workout Anytime Greensboro | 24-hour Gym & Fitness Center $15/mo for a basic membership

Last edited by roadpony; 01-31-2017 at 02:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point