U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2017, 10:56 AM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,314,882 times
Reputation: 8901

Advertisements

There was an outdoor mall on Hanes Mall Blvd towards Jonestown Rd. When I worked in that area several years ago development had slowed. Did development get back on track? Has the place built out?

The original post seems much ado about nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2017, 11:23 AM
 
7,279 posts, read 13,532,516 times
Reputation: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
There was an outdoor mall on Hanes Mall Blvd towards Jonestown Rd. When I worked in that area several years ago development had slowed. Did development get back on track? Has the place built out?
I think you might be talking about Shoppes at Little Creek. And yes, it has been built out significantly in the last year or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2017, 12:03 PM
 
3,118 posts, read 4,151,556 times
Reputation: 2577
Quote:
Originally Posted by nita0312 View Post
Yeah, I've noticed that, too. I don't know if Winston has the economy to sustain a more modern outdoor shopping center at this point. They have small ones like Thruway and Reynolda Village, but neither offer the variety of retail, service, restaurants, and movie options of a Friendly Center or Southpoint.
Uh, it's illogical to think Greensboro can sustain a lifestyle center, but not Winston-Salem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2017, 05:57 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,314,882 times
Reputation: 8901
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
I think you might be talking about Shoppes at Little Creek. And yes, it has been built out significantly in the last year or so.


Thanks. Couldn't remember the name of the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2017, 06:40 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
2,917 posts, read 2,020,323 times
Reputation: 5880
Something I've noticed about the owner of Hanes Mall (CB&L Associates) is that they are uneven in how aggressively they promote certain properties in their advertising and don't promote other ones. I mentioned in the Oak Hollow Mall (High Point) thread that a few years ago, they were advertising Hanes Mall and Friendly Center, but neglecting Oak Hollow. Could the same thing be starting with Hanes Mall?

As for "lifestyle centers", I have to wonder how long that trend will last, especially since NC's climate isn't particuarly suited for outdoor activities year round the same way that say, Southern California's is? Fundamentally, these lifestyle centers seem like glorified strip shopping centers with a fancier facade that makes them superficially appear a little more like an older downtown business district. Yet, few people can or do actually walk to them. So, for example, in the pouring rain, they force people to drive from store to store even more than enclosed malls. Friendly Center isn't exactly easy or pleasant to navigate if you're trying to get from one end to the other. Take going from the Apple Store to Barnes and Noble/Old Navy on a rainy day. It would be much more doable if it were in an enclosed space that used more than one floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2017, 07:48 PM
 
421 posts, read 294,666 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Something I've noticed about the owner of Hanes Mall (CB&L Associates) is that they are uneven in how aggressively they promote certain properties in their advertising and don't promote other ones. I mentioned in the Oak Hollow Mall (High Point) thread that a few years ago, they were advertising Hanes Mall and Friendly Center, but neglecting Oak Hollow. Could the same thing be starting with Hanes Mall?

As for "lifestyle centers", I have to wonder how long that trend will last, especially since NC's climate isn't particuarly suited for outdoor activities year round the same way that say, Southern California's is? Fundamentally, these lifestyle centers seem like glorified strip shopping centers with a fancier facade that makes them superficially appear a little more like an older downtown business district. Yet, few people can or do actually walk to them. So, for example, in the pouring rain, they force people to drive from store to store even more than enclosed malls. Friendly Center isn't exactly easy or pleasant to navigate if you're trying to get from one end to the other. Take going from the Apple Store to Barnes and Noble/Old Navy on a rainy day. It would be much more doable if it were in an enclosed space that used more than one floor.
Friendly Center is not really a lifestyle center in the way most of the lifestyle centers are actually set up. Friendly Center, while nice, does fit the description to me of being a glorified, super shopping center. GSOboi brought up a great example with Peninsula Town Center in Virginia. I used to live there and it's basically a mall, but no roof and there are a few roads you can drive around. It was actually built on the footprint of a dead enclosed shopping mall (Coliseum Mall). That said, PTC isn't doing as well as it may look at first glance. A lot of the shops ARE full, but turnover has been crazy there. I know of several store fronts that have changed hands 3 or 4 times in the 10 years PTC has been there. On top of that, one of their two anchors just closed (Macy's... which was the lone remnant of the old mall).

I think a better blueprint for Winston Salem though may be Short Pump Town Center in Richmond. It really is set up more like a mall, just without a roof. Period. Granted, I don't see Winston-Salem bringing in a Nordstrom or anything, I think a setup like that would work well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2017, 08:44 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,314,882 times
Reputation: 8901
Friendly has been around for 50 years and it's seen much growth in recent years so the concept isn't going anywhere anytime soon. The path you describe was never intended seeing how Apple is located at the Shoppes at Friendly, added several years ago, and B&N is in Friendly Center. Technically they are not the same shopping center. The Shoppes portion is very walkable while Friendly is walkable although a bit cumbersome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2017, 09:52 PM
 
5,290 posts, read 3,324,925 times
Reputation: 6474
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
wth is a "life center"?
Think fancy Strip Mall!

Like others have said, it's basically an "outdoor shopping center" that sometimes looks like a faux downtown with stores tightly packed together along pedestrian streets. Examples would be the outdoor part of the The Streets at Southpoint in Durham, the outdoor part of Triangle Town Center in Raleigh, and Park West Village in Cary.

"Lifestyle Center", reminds me somewhat of the switch that occurred years ago from "used" cars to "previously owned" cars. While most/some of these centers can be really nice and the developers go above and beyond to create the faux downtown like atmosphere, it's still just a name for an outdoor/open mall or group of stores/restaurants not connected inside.

Last edited by cjseliga; 01-30-2017 at 10:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2017, 12:52 AM
 
Location: Mauldin/Greenville
3,471 posts, read 4,357,318 times
Reputation: 1410
Perhaps Hanes Mall is in need of renovation. But it still has major anchors Belk, Dillard's, Macy's, and JCPenney. Unless these stores close down or relocate, I think the mall will be around for a while. In most regions, one strong destination mall is still surviving. But additional subpar malls are declining or closing, and Macy's and Sears are reducing their store count by closing underperforming stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2017, 05:17 AM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,508 posts, read 62,217,072 times
Reputation: 32200
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Think fancy Strip Mall!
...it's still just a name for an outdoor/open mall or group of stores/restaurants not connected inside.
I'm old enough to remember when such "lifestyle centers" were the norm...
and were then enclosed and covered and heated and air conditioned...
to make them more appealing to shoppers.

As to Hanes Mall (and probably most malls) the problem is access TO the space not how the space
is laid out or being enclosed once there... and the perception of price gouging with the selections.

I'll go out of my way to avoid the stretch of Stratford Road and Hanes Mall Blvd immediately nearby...
especially so during the sort of regular business hours they need customers to come in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top