U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 07:18 AM

86 posts, read 60,873 times

Advertisements

Sorry to the person who thought my original post was much ado about nothing.. but it did get a great conversation started ��.. I have enjoyed reading all the replies. Now back on topic. Wish thruway shopping center would add more green spaces and then it could kinda be like friendly center. Just needs a few cosmetic touches but considering its mostly parking lot, they would have to take up all of parking spaces to add lil touches. Look forward to seeing what shops on little Creek looks like after its done growing.. by the way was the kernel custards and brewnards coffee on the land they used for shops on little Creek or did that get turned into something else. That was a cute mini outdoor place. Not sure why that didn't grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 07:58 AM

28,555 posts, read 62,318,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfromnc View Post
Wish thruway shopping center would add more green spaces and then it could kinda be like friendly center.
Just needs a few cosmetic touches...
Thruway needs FAR MORE than mere cosmetic touches.
It's a horrible layout with far more retail space per acre than the land can support.

To the degree they could improve the PARKING lot... and they should...
that would require eliminating about 30% of the current spaces for the needed traffic lane work.

On the whole... it should probably be razed altogether.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:56 AM

7,279 posts, read 13,541,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfromnc View Post
Look forward to seeing what shops on little Creek looks like after its done growing.. by the way was the kernel custards and brewnards coffee on the land they used for shops on little Creek or did that get turned into something else. That was a cute mini outdoor place. Not sure why that didn't grow.
No, the former Kernal Kustard/Brewnerds space was a part of the Shoppes at Little Creek space, and those buildings are still there. They're now the home of Food Freaks and Beer Geeks, which started as a food truck and has been a brick-and-mortar for a few months now. I'm not 100% sure what happened to Kernal Kustard and Brewnerds, but they had locations of both downtown, also, and the whole company (they were owned by the same folks, a former Krispy Kreme exec) folded about 5 years ago. It's a pity. I liked both.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:30 AM

12,577 posts, read 13,325,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'm old enough to remember when such "lifestyle centers" were the norm...
and were then enclosed and covered and heated and air conditioned...
to make them more appealing to shoppers.

As to Hanes Mall (and probably most malls) the problem is access TO the space not how the space
is laid out or being enclosed once there... and the perception of price gouging with the selections.

I'll go out of my way to avoid the stretch of Stratford Road and Hanes Mall Blvd immediately nearby...
especially so during the sort of regular business hours they need customers to come in.
I see what you did.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:33 AM

I think the expansion of HM inadvertently cut off the original part. On my last trip there that is where most of the vacancies were; maybe a remodel would be in order.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:22 PM

2,937 posts, read 2,029,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I think the expansion of HM inadvertently cut off the original part. On my last trip there that is where most of the vacancies were; maybe a remodel would be in order.
It is the only mall I know of that requires walking through a department store (JC Penney) in order to get to the rest of the mall. There is a history concerning how an alternate design was looked at so that wouldn't be the case, but in the end, it wasn't workable. Related link below:

Hanes Mall; Winston-Salem, North Carolina | Labelscar

Old 01-31-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
It is the only mall I know of that requires walking through a department store (JC Penney) in order to get to the rest of the mall. There is a history concerning how an alternate design was looked at so that wouldn't be the case, but in the end, it wasn't workable. Related link below:

Hanes Mall; Winston-Salem, North Carolina | Labelscar
The article mentioned another mall that has a walk through connector store. I had to snicker at the statement of Oak Hollow ever being a threat......fat chance.
JCPenny used to set up two choices. Option a) you got a fairly, unobstructed pass through the store; option b) you were forced to weave through displays to get through to the other side.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:48 PM

2,937 posts, read 2,029,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
The article mentioned another mall that has a walk through connector store. I had to snicker at the statement of Oak Hollow ever being a threat......fat chance.
JCPenny used to set up two choices. Option a) you got a fairly, unobstructed pass through the store; option b) you were forced to weave through displays to get through to the other side.
Woops, yes you are absolutely right. I must have been thinking of another article that didn't mention those, but thanks for correcting me.

Maybe the thinking in 1990 when Oak Hollow Mall's impact was unknown before it was built was that it could be a threat to Hanes Mall, even though time obviously showed it was being threatened by other competitors rather than being the competition that would threaten the other malls. In an earlier era, I remember Oak Hollow Mall was marketed as a "hassle free" neighborhood mall to surrounding communities such as Kernersville, northeast Davidson county, etc. who would also be in Hanes Mall's trade area.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:38 PM

65 posts, read 39,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Im surprise they haven't built a major lifestyle center similar to Friendly in Greensboro. Indoor malls are falling out of popularity and people feel less safe. Winston-Salem should build a lifestyle center downtown with real streets similar to Peninsula Town Center in Hampton, Virginia. Business I-40 and Hwy 52 intersect downtown so maybe something like this could be built in the innovation quarter in two to three block area.

Image of some of the store fronts at Peninsula Town Center. You can't even tell its a mall or lifestyle center. This may be the future of lifestyle centers as retail returns to downtowns in cities across the country.

http://visithampton.com/workspace/up...enter-full.jpg
Yes, indoor Malls are fading sadly. Its funny you mention the Pennisula Town Center in Hampton. This center is regarded as a model for a dying indoor Mall here in Roanoke. The major indoor Malls operated by CBL are selling their unprofitable properties
and re:designing the empty space from vacated department stores. Big restaurant chains like Cheesecake Factory can bring
In more revenue than a Sears. I hope HM will be o.k. but the trends look challenging. I know these Lifestyle Centers have replaced some big indoor Malls in Northern Va. years ago.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Woops, yes you are absolutely right. I must have been thinking of another article that didn't mention those, but thanks for correcting me.

Maybe the thinking in 1990 when Oak Hollow Mall's impact was unknown before it was built was that it could be a threat to Hanes Mall, even though time obviously showed it was being threatened by other competitors rather than being the competition that would threaten the other malls. In an earlier era, I remember Oak Hollow Mall was marketed as a "hassle free" neighborhood mall to surrounding communities such as Kernersville, northeast Davidson county, etc. who would also be in Hanes Mall's trade area.
True, OHM's billing also included points south such as Archdale, Randleman, Trinity. I don't know if the incomplete 311 by-pass threw a wrench in that plan or if it just simply didn't take hold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point