U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 04:59 PM

240 posts, read 225,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
Sure Winston could sustain another shopping center. If anything, the "problem" (if you see it as one) is that Hanes isn't dying quickly enough. Had Hanes been in dire straits 10 or 15 years ago, it might have gone the way of Oak Hollow or someplace, and another developer might have attracted some of those big anchors and built something else.

I do think it will continue to peter out, frankly. People just don't go to indoor malls like they used to. No biggie. I'd rather see growth downtown, myself. I prefer to avoid the whole Hanes Mall Blvd/Stratford cluster when I can. And with all the development happening around the Little Creek area, I'd be surprised if a new lifestyle center didn't eventually pop up out that way. Heck, The Shoppes at Little Creek could grow into one with some infill and a few big anchors.
Yeah, that's part of what I meant. But, I also meant that there's a good mix of high and low end retail in those other locations. An outdoor mall would have Hanes Mall stores and those found in say Reynolda Village all in the same location. At times, Winston just feels too stratified economically to do that. The Little Creek area is basically the same area as the mall, Thruway, etc. I'd be nice to see more commercial economic investment in other parts of town. I do avoid those areas because the traffic is just ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 07:15 PM

304 posts, read 158,383 times
Developers may not build anymore large regional malls anywhere. Why? The middle class is under attack. There are not enough people with high enough incomes to support them. Have you heard recently. Macy's is closing 400 stores, Walmart is laying off 1,000 people at its headquarters and shutting down stores, Lowes' Home Improvement is laying off people, Sears sold its Craftsman Tool Division to try to stave off bankruptcy, K-Mart is barely hanging on by a thread and the airline industry is beginning to also feel the pain. Yes folks the ill effects of NAFTA are real. You have to ask yourself the question......why did our political leaders sell out America and create NAFTA? Why are our political leaders and news media still propagating the free trade agreements? Prior to NAFTA, the US and Mexico had a similar amount of trade with each other in dollars. Now, the US has a $75 million shortfall with Mexico. The problems in America are real. If you do not understand why America is being intentionally sold out, you should do some research or contact me.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:41 PM

421 posts, read 293,107 times
Well, to explain the layoffs coming from the stores you mentioned, they are largely attributed to the increase in online shopping and a shift away from brick and mortar. There are a lot of people these days (I'm not one of them) who would rather shop from the comforts of their own home and have the stuff they buy simply delivered to them (I'd rather see and touch what I'm buying... but I digress). As people shop more and more online, there's less reason for Macy's to have three different stores in a certain area when two, or even one, would work just fine.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:26 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,302,282 times
Not to mention the 90s & 00s saw the era of airplane hanger shopping. Seemingly new retail store were always superstores. Massive square footage means massive overhead. There is a former Big K store that is now occupied by three retailers. It's funny people criticize NAFTA yet not so much as a peep about tech jobs lost to India.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:35 PM

I agree that on line shopping may affect Macy's but, I do not think it affects Lowe's, Walmart or the airline industry and many other small retailers that are also suffering. The media may want us to believe this but, I do not totally buy it.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:41 PM

I am not happy about tech jobs being lost to India either. But NAFTA has destroyed the manufacturing in the US. It has hit NC particularly hard. But it has affected many states. I did not buy into the propaganda when they were selling it. The middle class has been decimated. If the free trade agreements are allowed to continue, the middle class will shrink more.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:57 PM

Also, the trickle down affect must be considered. Dr Paul Craig Roberts explains this. A middle income person will spend a portion of his/her income on goods and services that keep others employed. Those people do the same to help keep yet more people employed. And so on and so on. The trickle down affect continues. Perhaps 10,000 high paying mfg jobs were lost. The trickle down affect of 10,000 jobs goes pretty deep into the economy. Also, these people are not paying federal, state and local taxes. Cities become more like third world cities. The infrastructure in America becomes old and out dated and in some cases dangerous. (I-35 bridge collapse during rush hour in Minneapolis) Unemployed are not paying into the social security system. Many of the jobs created now are low paying and part-time. Does the news media mention this? The US Government changed the way they report unemployment rates. Unemployment rates are much higher than the government reports. Mega corporations are using child labor in China.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:57 AM

421 posts, read 293,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
I agree that on line shopping may affect Macy's but, I do not think it affects Lowe's, Walmart or the airline industry and many other small retailers that are also suffering. The media may want us to believe this but, I do not totally buy it.
It absolutely does affect Lowes and ESPECIALLY Wal-Mart. Why go to the store where there's a limited selection anyways when you can go online and have full access to the full inventory the company has? You can go to your local Lowes and have the choice between about 10-12 grills, or you can browse online and have the choice of literally hundreds of grills. Don't like the pavers designs your local Lowes has? Online has dozens if not hundreds more.

Online shopping is affecting just about every single type of retail shopping.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
I am not happy about tech jobs being lost to India either. But NAFTA has destroyed the manufacturing in the US. It has hit NC particularly hard. But it has affected many states. I did not buy into the propaganda when they were selling it. The middle class has been decimated. If the free trade agreements are allowed to continue, the middle class will shrink more.
We also have to remember that advances in automation and the lack of unions are significant factors, as well. NC has always been a right to work state and the doesn't bode well for labor in general, particularly those without legal protections like say state employees.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
It absolutely does affect Lowes and ESPECIALLY Wal-Mart. Why go to the store where there's a limited selection anyways when you can go online and have full access to the full inventory the company has? You can go to your local Lowes and have the choice between about 10-12 grills, or you can browse online and have the choice of literally hundreds of grills. Don't like the pavers designs your local Lowes has? Online has dozens if not hundreds more.

Online shopping is affecting just about every single type of retail shopping.
Agreed. It's what Netflix did to Blockbuster and iTunes did to most music stores. I like online shopping for some things, but as a woman, I know I gotta try clothes on. Everything else, it's easier to shop online. No crowds, no forever long walks from grocery to electronics departments trying to find an associate, no more mile hikes to the car. People like convenience and the internet provides that. Also, it's easier to comparison shop between retailers online. I'm a single person on a budget, so every dollar I save counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point