Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 05:29 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times

Advertisements

It's like a big bumper sticker, just one that someone spent a lot more effort and money on. Is it really that revolutionary of a concept and worth getting so bent out of shape that everyone isn't going to see things with exactly the same kind of perspective with this kind of thing?

And if seeing this message is the most "traumatic" encounter someone has to experience going out in public, the world just became a much more pleasant place than I thought it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 07:30 AM

75 posts, read 76,691 times
Real men are not afraid of strong women!

Old 02-26-2017, 02:58 PM

545 posts, read 594,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
That "expectation" belongs in a previous century and is no longer valid for the vast majority of people (men and women) in today's world. Beyond that, if you don't "get it" there's not enough space here to 'splain to you.
I'm quite sure that the women experiencing "outrage over this sexist, patriarchal" ad are the ones that demand special laws protecting women or the first one at the courthouse if the child support is 2 days late!!!

Old 03-05-2017, 06:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
New billboard is up -> Controversial billboard in Forsyth County replaced with new message | myfox8.com

Old 03-05-2017, 11:41 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
How silly. Looks like someone doesn't have the courage of their convictions.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:53 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,695,348 times
The fact is that our culture is changing. The last three decades in business I noticed a trend. Along with the increasing number of women in all types of business at all levels there was also an increasing decline in the number of positions available in which a man could generate a sufficient income alone to pay for a family in total. Thus all little girls should be taught to go out and earn the bacon.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:36 PM

241 posts, read 338,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'm a liberal and an atheist and I don't get the outrage. There is an expectation being bestowed unto men to handle their business for their household, there is an expectation bestowed upon women to be appreciative IF the men are out there handling said business. I don't get what is so wrong with that. Would you not want a man to provide and a woman to be appreciative of you providing?
I think they should just ignore it because protests highlight just as someone else mentioned. But the implication behind that sign is straight up sexist. It assumes that we are still living in a time where men are the primary providers. We all know it's been a LONG time since any American household, especially one with children, can subsist off of one income. Women continue to carry the majority of domestic work while holding down full time jobs outside of the home. That's due to patriarchy and the sexist behavior that accompanies it. Also, that sign ignores the LGQBT community. And really, ANY sign that starts with "real men or women...." nine times out of ten is going to be ignorant. Manhood and womanhood are built are much more than those antiquated ideals. We are more than our wallets and expectations of gratitude.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:06 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'm a liberal and an atheist and I don't get the outrage. There is an expectation being bestowed unto men to handle their business for their household, there is an expectation bestowed upon women to be appreciative IF the men are out there handling said business. I don't get what is so wrong with that. Would you not want a man to provide and a woman to be appreciative of you providing?
I've never heard of anyone under the age of 50 having this mentality that "men should be the sole breadwinners", so to speak. That is definitely a very socially conservative idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancenc
I'm quite sure that the women experiencing "outrage over this sexist, patriarchal" ad are the ones that demand special laws protecting women or the first one at the courthouse if the child support is 2 days late!!!
Laws setting an equal playing field are not "special laws protecting women". And I think it's very callous and sociopathic that some people feel the best way to punish mothers for perceived bad decision-making is to punish their children, who have done absolutely nothing wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point