U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2017, 10:14 AM
 
3,114 posts, read 4,144,898 times
Reputation: 2568

Advertisements

Protesters are expected to demonstrate near a billboard on Business 40 between Greensboro and Winston-Salem that reads "Real men provide, real women appreciate it."

According to Triad City Beat, the billboard is a paid advertisement and the company that owns the sign is standing by the message calling it "freedom of speech."

A Facebook group is organizing a protest on Sunday at the sign.

"We are protesting patriarchy and sexism, and that this antiquated way of thinking about women exists at all," organizers said on the Facebook page. "We are protesting the implied demand that women be silent and appreciate, regardless of whatever circumstances, their role as non-providers.

Controversial 'real men provide' billboard raises eyebrows, objections | abc7chicago.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2017, 08:34 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,302,282 times
Reputation: 8896
That can be interpreted more than one way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2017, 05:15 AM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,487 posts, read 62,101,894 times
Reputation: 32143
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
That can be interpreted more than one way.
Not really.

But the sponsors do warrant some reps for making their point
more interestingly than they have in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2017, 07:03 AM
 
2,647 posts, read 6,083,157 times
Reputation: 3408
It's a dumb sign, put up by dumb people, but the people protesting it are probably just as dumb in the sense that they are bringing added attention to it.

But they both have the right to do what they're doing. Free speech is a wonderful thing, and it often reminds us how much dumb there is in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2017, 07:11 AM
 
7,281 posts, read 13,521,972 times
Reputation: 3610
The sign was clearly designed to stir up protest. Why else would it be done anonymously? Don't "real men" stand behind their words?

Don't take the bait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2017, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,628 posts, read 33,413,509 times
Reputation: 32335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Protesters are expected to demonstrate near a billboard on Business 40 between Greensboro and Winston-Salem that reads "Real men provide, real women appreciate it."

According to Triad City Beat, the billboard is a paid advertisement and the company that owns the sign is standing by the message calling it "freedom of speech."

A Facebook group is organizing a protest on Sunday at the sign.

"We are protesting patriarchy and sexism, and that this antiquated way of thinking about women exists at all," organizers said on the Facebook page. "We are protesting the implied demand that women be silent and appreciate, regardless of whatever circumstances, their role as non-providers.

Controversial 'real men provide' billboard raises eyebrows, objections | abc7chicago.com
I'm a liberal and an atheist and I don't get the outrage. There is an expectation being bestowed unto men to handle their business for their household, there is an expectation bestowed upon women to be appreciative IF the men are out there handling said business. I don't get what is so wrong with that. Would you not want a man to provide and a woman to be appreciative of you providing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2017, 07:29 AM
 
Location: NC High Country
3,863 posts, read 6,654,997 times
Reputation: 3819
The billboard is owned by Bill Whiteheart, a very conservative former county commissioner. This is not unexpected from him or people who would choose to do business with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2017, 07:33 AM
 
Location: NC High Country
3,863 posts, read 6,654,997 times
Reputation: 3819
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'm a liberal and an atheist and I don't get the outrage. There is an expectation being bestowed unto men to handle their business for their household, there is an expectation bestowed upon women to be appreciative IF the men are out there handling said business. I don't get what is so wrong with that. Would you not want a man to provide and a woman to be appreciative of you providing?
That "expectation" belongs in a previous century and is no longer valid for the vast majority of people (men and women) in today's world. Beyond that, if you don't "get it" there's not enough space here to 'splain to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2017, 07:44 AM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,487 posts, read 62,101,894 times
Reputation: 32143
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
There is an expectation being bestowed unto men to handle their business for their household,
there is an expectation bestowed upon women to be appreciative
IF the men are out there handling said business.

I don't get what is so wrong with that...?
At face... nothing whatsoever.
This is what makes it a great advertisement.
The issue... is that the problems go deeper than that surface simplicity.
---

A lot of people who observe that wealthier people tend to own their homes.
The surface simplicity they conclude from this observation tells them
that if they too want to be wealthy then they they should buy a home too.

They don't appreciate how much effort and job skills and personal responsibility were required
to allow the owner to earn the money needed to buy let alone the stability of their work needed
to keep up with the mortgage and the other costs of home ownership over time.

They confuse the incidental with the causal.
It's a common logical fallacy.
Here's a link to some more: https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/


Similar applies when some people will see a successful family like the one implied by the billboard.
This advertisement is attempting to equate a traditional marriage with success.
It may correlate... but it surely isn't causal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2017, 12:29 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,302,282 times
Reputation: 8896
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
It's a dumb sign, put up by dumb people, but the people protesting it are probably just as dumb in the sense that they are bringing added attention to it.

But they both have the right to do what they're doing. Free speech is a wonderful thing, and it often reminds us how much dumb there is in this country.
Yeah, I suspect most will interpret it as condescending. People can have a tough time understanding there is good and bad with free speech, free speech isn't always agreeable, and free speech does not mean a person(s) must accept belligerence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top