Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 11:20 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,036,005 times

Advertisements

'Brunch bill' proposes Sunday morning alcohol sales in restaurants | Blog: Short Orders | greensboro.com

Hopefully this bill can gain some traction. It would provide a nice little boost to restaurants for those who want to get up early for brunch and have a mimosa with their meal. I'm sure for the most part, the people that want to drink simply wait the extra couple hours, but this law is just an unnecessary drag, pushing the inevitable and making wait times even a few minutes after noon REALLY long.

Then again, if you head out at 11:15-11:30, you can beat the traffic and get your drink with your meal. But it would be nice to not have to wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 01:12 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,533,334 times
Red Oak is pushing to have the cap lifted on brewing capacity. IMO these are two antiquated laws that should disappear.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:41 PM

241 posts, read 337,130 times
I hope it passes. Blue laws are terribly old school, especially in the larger cities. I say this as a Christian who recognizes that not everybody is Christian. And as a lover of mimosas.

Reminds me of how I would forget that we weren't supposed to sell booze before noon on Sundays back in college. I'm an ECU alumnus and had more Sunday mornings than not barely functioning behind my register to remember why the computer wouldn't accept sales of wine at 11 AM bought by Jersey & NY transplants who never lived with blue laws. I'd tell them to go find the price and I rung it up anyway. A few hours later, I'd realize what I had done and felt like a dope. Lol. Could've been fired if the manager saw me. *smh*

Old 03-03-2017, 04:24 AM

185 posts, read 198,004 times
On this topic. Do u think nc will ever make liquor available at gas stations and stores other then abc stores? Sometimes at the last minute u forget u Need to make a ABC store run and they have already closed or will before u make it there.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:45 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,335,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfromnc View Post
On this topic. Do u think nc will ever make liquor available at gas stations and stores other then abc stores? Sometimes at the last minute u forget u Need to make a ABC store run and they have already closed or will before u make it there.

"Ever" is a long time. If you reframe your question to mean the next 10 years, I'd say there is pretty much a zero chance. Twenty years? Thirty? Who knows.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:47 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,716,942 times
Quote:
Which raises another issue: The ABC store system.
Get rid of it

Old 03-03-2017, 10:32 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,533,334 times
Quote:
The topic does come up with the legislature now and then but quickly goes away. Seems many law enforcement departments are against the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Which raises another issue: The ABC store system.
Get rid of it
Agreed. Imagine the increased revenue from privately owned liquor store/sales.
Toured a local distillery and the owner spoke of the rules and regulations behind selling liquor. One that comes to mind is the warning on the label must be the same size font as the brand(?) font and the state gets $13 of the proceeds.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:01 PM

241 posts, read 337,130 times
Quote:
A few years ago the state put it on a referendum or wanted to sell liquor on Sundays or do away with the wait until noon thing. But, of course, it was only for counties in urban areas: Guilford, Forsyth, Orange, Durham, Wake, and Mecklenburg. That's the area with most of the transplants who aren't as religious as small town folk, so it makes sense. I never thought we'd get the lottery, so things change. It certainly would inject some much needed revenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point