U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2017, 04:03 PM

25 posts, read 18,943 times

Advertisements

I finally made it to the Greensboro area and am totally in love with the oak ridge and Summerfield areas but I'm curious parents, what do your kids do when they are not in school? And what public schools are best? Fingers crossed I'll be working at Cone Health in Greensboro but am thinking home in oak ridge or Summerfield so schools and activities in those areas is what I'm curious about. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 04:25 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,447,386 times
Twelve Oaks community in Oak Ridge NC
Moving to Oak Ridge. Help
Summerfield/Northern Guilford County
Possible move to the Greensboro area

Old 03-15-2017, 09:29 AM

Thank you BC1960!

Old 03-16-2017, 12:30 PM

149 posts, read 201,563 times
You might post your kids ages and interests. Oak Ridge and Summerfield both have great recreation associations. Softball/baseball is big down here, as is basketball, soccer and even lacross. There is a great YMCA (spears) that has a lot of activities.

There are a lot of drama and art opportunties in Greensboro. The natural science center has a lot of cool opportunities for volunteering. (it is a must visit when you get here. It's a natural science+zoo+aquarium place.

One more thing...after doing homework...your kids have extra free time!!!

Old 03-17-2017, 07:52 AM

Thank you booney56! My kids are 10 and 4 both girls. They currently play tennis. The older one plays the clarinet at school and the younger one takes gymnastics at the rec center. Tennis is probably something they would want to continue but at this point I'm not positive. When I was there I heard ads on the radio for the natural science center we will most definitely visit once we are settled! Thanks again

Old 03-21-2017, 12:28 PM

149 posts, read 201,563 times
This is a great area for Tennis. The high school (NW) just got a large number of courts. There are public courts at Bur-Mil also. At Bur-Mil there is a golf and Tennis academy. At Jaycee Park there is the J Spencer Love Tennis center. Both of these places have programs for juniors. There are a number of swim and tennis clubs that require you to join. The ones closest to Summerfield are Ridgewood, Cardinal and Lake Janette. In the summer many people join pools. (Bur-Mil has a large public one).

Both Northwest and Northern High schools have large, very popular Marching Band programs if your older daughter is still interested in a few years.

There is a very nice Greenway that runs from Summerfield to downtown Greensboro. It's great for walking or bike riding. On the weekends there are always a lot of families using it.

With kids 10 and 4 you might have to get a family membership. (you can pay per visit also). It is a fantastic place to drop in on a rainy day with kids or just anytime for a quick visit.

Welcome to Summerfield!

Old 03-22-2017, 02:54 PM

Thank you for all the information Booney56, we are excited!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point