U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 06:37 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,447,386 times

Advertisements

Exciting Stuff!

"Winston-Salem Mayor Allen Joines announced Thursday that local business leader Don Flow and Charlotte-based developer Grubb Properties will redevelop the former GMAC building and an adjacent site extending to Fourth Street into a business center with retail spaces and apartments.

Flow will buy the 18-story GMAC building, to which he plans to relocate all Flow Companies corporate services that are currently housed at locations throughout North Carolina and Virginia.

In a second project, Grubb will develop a $48 million residential and retail project on the site just south of the tower, including the surface parking lot. The project will include 240 residential units and storefronts along Fourth Street.

The residential project will involve removing the existing six-story building beside the 18-story GMAC tower. The city of Winston-Salem is being asked to assist with the cost of removing the building. The work on the apartment project would start within a year of the city granting assistance.

Flow said his companies will occupy about 90,000 square feet of the available 300,000 square feet of space in the tower building. Other companies will occupy the rest of the space.

“We have other folks we are in discussion with who want to be part of this,” Flow said.

Flow will provide 35,000 square feet of space in the GMAC tower to create a business accelerator organization called Winston Starts, which will be a nonprofit organization focused on starting and growing companies in Winston-Salem.

The space will be provided at no charge to the companies that go through Winston Starts. In particular, Winston Starts will focus on providing opportunities for students at local universities and colleges to create companies."

Redevelopment of GMAC building in downtown Winston-Salem announced | Local News | journalnow.com

Last edited by BC1960; 03-17-2017 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 07:55 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,107,448 times
It's great to finally see this building getting used for something.
Apparently locals aren't excited about the loss of street level parking, but I guess that's progress.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:36 AM

7,279 posts, read 13,532,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
It's great to finally see this building getting used for something.
Apparently locals aren't excited about the loss of street level parking, but I guess that's progress.
Who's complaining?

Old 03-17-2017, 11:45 AM

240 posts, read 226,708 times
Lot's of potential for growth here. I especially like the affordable living spaces that they plan on having, as well.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:30 PM

2,650 posts, read 6,091,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
Who's complaining?

Haha, that lot is my go-to parking spot for downtown dining and drinking. Hate to see it go, but I'm always excited for more development downtown. There are plenty of other free parking options if you know where to look, so I'm not complaining.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:20 PM

Yeah, I just don't see parking as an issue. Then again, I spent a lot of years in big cities, so free on-site parking isn't an expectation. The garages usually have plenty of room, and we often get lucky enough to find a parallel spot within a block or two of our destination.

It's hard to have both a walkable, urban downtown and ample free surface parking. And such a minor complaint distracts from the point that this is a pretty big deal! The GMAC Building (or Integon Building for the old timers) has been empty for far too long, and this is a win on many levels.

Old 03-17-2017, 05:45 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,107,448 times
I've learned that locals don't like parking garages...they much prefer surface level parking. To me, a "city" means high real estate values, which necessities going up, as in parking decks. I've never had an issue with parking in downtown W-S, but I guess it's a matter of what you're used to and one's expectations.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
I've learned that locals don't like parking garages...they much prefer surface level parking. To me, a "city" means high real estate values, which necessities going up, as in parking decks. I've never had an issue with parking in downtown W-S, but I guess it's a matter of what you're used to and one's expectations.
No one likes parking garages at first. They seem weird and expensive. But they get used to them if they're the most convenient option. My hometown built a parking garage at the hospital and it was the only one in town. For a while (a few years even), people would park elsewhere and walk while the garage sat half full. Now the garage is full all the time and they're contemplating a second one.

I will say that some of our downtown parking garages could stand to be a little speedier on egress. I was at a banquet at the Embassy Suites downtown and thanks to several hundred people all trying to exit the garage around the same time, it took forever to get out. Pre-pay kiosks (where you pay for parking before you get back to your car and simply insert a prepaid ticket) could help a lot. Additional exits could help too, though that takes more effort and planning. But other than that, I've always found garage parking downtown to be easy.

I don't see this being a big problem, long term. People will come around. Or they won't, in which case, they've always got Hanes Mall.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:41 PM

31 posts, read 40,086 times
I'm sure a chunk of the $10 million in upgrades will go towards new elevators. I heard they were in horrible shape!

City Council approved incentives for the project on Monday night. I can't wait to see the official rendering from Grubb of the $48 million mixed-use building.

Winston-Salem council approves $1.65 million in incentives for GMAC project | Local News | journalnow.com

Old 02-02-2019, 05:36 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,749,078 times
What's the latest on this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or