U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-28-2017, 09:29 PM
 
Location: NC High Country
3,867 posts, read 6,661,069 times
Reputation: 3824

Advertisements

I also think the OP is confusing growth and development with political leanings. They really don't necessarily go hand in hand. An area that's open to new real estate development isn't necessarily "progressive" in the political sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2017, 03:30 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,584 posts, read 4,402,977 times
Reputation: 1488
True but however but not always, highly developed cities do lean more liberal as we see in the presidential elections. Policies that lead to urban development and rapid growth are strongly supported by liberals. If youll notice, the conservatives on Greensboro city council seem to be against big initiatives particularly when it involves any kind of public money and most big civic projects do. Conservatives also tend to be against incentives that attract companies and development. If Republicans still controlled city council, we would not be seeing a ground breaking for the performing arts center next month which would also mean that we wouldn't be seeing new hotels downtown or Roy Carroll's Carroll at Bellemeade. Carroll has publicly stated the performing arts center was a major factor in his current downtown investments. A conservative controlled city council would have never supported this performing arts center deal. Everything is political. Republican Pat McCrory who was mayor of Charlotte took credit for Charlotte's prosperity during his tenure. But what people dont realize he was outnumbered on city council by democrats and he voted against many of the things that led to development and growth in Charlotte.

Rural less developed areas are more conservative. Thats a common trait we see all over the country. But of course urban cities are more diverse as well.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 03-29-2017 at 03:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2017, 04:23 AM
 
Location: The City of Medicine
1,195 posts, read 831,979 times
Reputation: 1003
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I also think the OP is confusing growth and development with political leanings. They really don't necessarily go hand in hand. An area that's open to new real estate development isn't necessarily "progressive" in the political sense.
Case in point: Greenville, SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2017, 06:39 AM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,440,860 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
Case in point: Greenville, SC.
Yes, and case in point on the other side: Portland, OR. Very politically liberal with very restrictive growth policies. I don't see the connection between political ideology and resistance/acceptance of growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2017, 06:45 AM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,440,860 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
well no, i'm not basing the entire southern experience on my experience of growing up in a small town, i mean the way of life and pace, i'm not trying to make it sound like a bad stereotype, i just noticed that Greensboro has been increasingly more urban and not just in the city center where i only felt it before 5 years ago, It's just the Vibe of the area in general. when i first arrived in Greensboro i got the vibe of a medium sized conservative city best for going to school and raising families, but that's just my opinion, however now it feels like a completely different area.

I just started thinking about this in my recent stay in baltimore maryland, the vibe kind of felt the same.
Greensboro has always had a bit of a "liberal" streak (perhaps due to its early Quaker influence), and has largely always been open to newcomers and growth (perhaps due to its founding a political seat and development as a hub of commerce and industry). It also developed an important Jewish community, which further cemented its somewhat progressive stance (especially for a smallish southern city).


I'd say Greensboro is still much the way it has been for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2017, 07:05 AM
 
29,944 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Reputation: 18507
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
True but however but not always, highly developed cities do lean more liberal as we see in the presidential elections. Policies that lead to urban development and rapid growth are strongly supported by liberals. If youll notice, the conservatives on Greensboro city council seem to be against big initiatives particularly when it involves any kind of public money and most big civic projects do. Conservatives also tend to be against incentives that attract companies and development. If Republicans still controlled city council, we would not be seeing a ground breaking for the performing arts center next month which would also mean that we wouldn't be seeing new hotels downtown or Roy Carroll's Carroll at Bellemeade. Carroll has publicly stated the performing arts center was a major factor in his current downtown investments. A conservative controlled city council would have never supported this performing arts center deal. Everything is political. Republican Pat McCrory who was mayor of Charlotte took credit for Charlotte's prosperity during his tenure. But what people dont realize he was outnumbered on city council by democrats and he voted against many of the things that led to development and growth in Charlotte.
This is VERY off. Two Southern cities known for their revitalized downtowns with tons of development are overall conservative cities: Greenville, SC (already mentioned) and Chattanooga. And "conservatives also tend to be against incentives that attract companies and development"??? You can't be serious; Southern states and cities, which lean more conservative, are champions of using incentives to lure economic development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2017, 07:38 AM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,440,860 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is VERY off. Two Southern cities known for their revitalized downtowns with tons of development are overall conservative cities: Greenville, SC (already mentioned) and Chattanooga. And "conservatives also tend to be against incentives that attract companies and development"??? You can't be serious; Southern states and cities, which lean more conservative, are champions of using incentives to lure economic development.
Indeed. Just look at our neighbor to the south. Nikki Haley offered up huge incentive packages to Boeing, Volvo, Continental Tire, Gitti, etc., etc. And Texas has the largest economic development incentive programs in the country. Plus, Georgia, Alabama, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2017, 07:57 AM
 
29,944 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Reputation: 18507
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Indeed. Just look at our neighbor to the south. Nikki Haley offered up huge incentive packages to Boeing, Volvo, Continental Tire, Gitti, etc., etc. And Texas has the largest economic development incentive programs in the country. Plus, Georgia, Alabama, etc.
Absolutely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2017, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,584 posts, read 4,402,977 times
Reputation: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is VERY off. Two Southern cities known for their revitalized downtowns with tons of development are overall conservative cities: Greenville, SC (already mentioned) and Chattanooga. And "conservatives also tend to be against incentives that attract companies and development"??? You can't be serious; Southern states and cities, which lean more conservative, are champions of using incentives to lure economic development.
The point I was trying to make is that in general pro growth/development cities tend to lean liberal. Southern cities are indeed more conservative than northern cities but even Greenville and Chattanooga have a liberal streak when compared the smaller southern cities. But like I said in my last post its not always the case. Maine is a rural state but its also liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2017, 08:58 AM
 
29,944 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Reputation: 18507
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The point I was trying to make is that in general pro growth/development cities tend to lean liberal. Southern cities are indeed more conservative than northern cities but even Greenville and Chattanooga have a liberal streak when compared the smaller southern cities.
Cities in general lean liberal, and of course Greenville and Chattanooga are "more liberal" than small backwater towns where everybody is related. But for midsized cities, they are rather conservative.

Quote:
But like I said in my last post its not always the case. Maine is a rural state but its also liberal.
I think Vermont is a better example. Maine isn't as liberal as some folks make it out to be; their governor is like a mini Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top