U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 11:24 AM

888 posts, read 1,070,282 times

Advertisements

I wonder what downtown high point would be like if they had a regular downtown with residential and commercial along with the furniture showrooms.

I feel like high point could've capitilized off of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 12:09 PM

4,668 posts, read 4,505,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Agreed that the lack of things to do around the ballpark hurts. Other than a Subway, there's little in walking distance. I understand a new bar will be opening soon over there. The food hall should be done in time for next season hopefully and that will be another attraction.

It's too bad Brown Truck and Sweet Ole Bills aren't just a little closer.
I know its difficult to build downtown because of all of the showrooms but in addition to restaurants a large public park space for music and events would attract people downtown. Such spaces have proven successful in other nearby cities. Start off small with Friday after 5 type events. Events attract people to downtown after hours and serves as an incentive for people to open up more restaurants.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:48 PM

125 posts, read 27,502 times
High Point is a complete ****hole.

The president of High Point University is very creepy in my opinion. Reminds me of a used car salesman.

Old 08-24-2019, 12:11 PM

439 posts, read 309,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjack View Post
High Point is a complete ****hole.

The president of High Point University is very creepy in my opinion. Reminds me of a used car salesman.
Just what did your post add to this forum pray tell? Perhaps you should look up some additional things to do in your own neighborhood. Or is your neighborhood so barren of activity that trolling message boards to draw attention to yourself is your greatest source of entertainment?

Sad.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:15 PM

3,020 posts, read 2,091,468 times
Getting the discussion back on track (hopefully), the furniture showrooms even take up the street level storefronts of much downtown real estate. If they were on the second and higher floors, it wouldn't create as much dead zone and restaurants, retail, and entertainment could be on the first floors.

Of course, the furniture market industry has had a lot of political clout in High Point, as such an economic driver, so it's unlikely the city would have told the owners, "No, you can't have a showroom on the first floor. That should be prime real estate for other uses" when these showrooms were expanding everywhere.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:37 PM

439 posts, read 309,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Getting the discussion back on track (hopefully), the furniture showrooms even take up the street level storefronts of much downtown real estate. If they were on the second and higher floors, it wouldn't create as much dead zone and restaurants, retail, and entertainment could be on the first floors.

Of course, the furniture market industry has had a lot of political clout in High Point, as such an economic driver, so it's unlikely the city would have told the owners, "No, you can't have a showroom on the first floor. That should be prime real estate for other uses" when these showrooms were expanding everywhere.
Which is what the ballpark is hopefully will kickstart. I mean, large parts of downtown are pretty much a lost cause. But if the northern part of downtown near the ballpark can become revitalized, then hopefully downtown High Point will have more of restaurants, apartments, etc. I'm hopeful that the Food Hall will be at least a bit of an attraction.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:

You would think that it would benefit the market having more restaurants, entertainment etc downtown for market buyers. I realize they want to use as much space as possible for the showrooms but I wish they would sacrifice some of that space for restaurants, retail and entertainment. This is what is holding downtown High Point back. The furniture market in High Point is like a double edge sword. At the very least, new showrooms being built should have the retail and restaurants on the ground level. Maybe even have more mixed use elements including apartments because downtown High Point also needs residential.

The people in High Point need to realize that having more restaurants, entertainment etc downtown will keep the market goers in High Point spending money. After hours they go to Greensboro or Winston-Salem. Downtown should have more hotels for the market but I do understand there is not a lot going on year round to make it feasible to start building a lot of hotels in downtown High Point.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 08-25-2019 at 08:45 AM..

Old 08-25-2019, 05:06 PM

3,020 posts, read 2,091,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
You would think that it would benefit the market having more restaurants, entertainment etc downtown for market buyers. I realize they want to use as much space as possible for the showrooms but I wish they would sacrifice some of that space for restaurants, retail and entertainment. This is what is holding downtown High Point back. The furniture market in High Point is like a double edge sword. At the very least, new showrooms being built should have the retail and restaurants on the ground level. Maybe even have more mixed use elements including apartments because downtown High Point also needs residential.

The people in High Point need to realize that having more restaurants, entertainment etc downtown will keep the market goers in High Point spending money. After hours they go to Greensboro or Winston-Salem. Downtown should have more hotels for the market but I do understand there is not a lot going on year round to make it feasible to start building a lot of hotels in downtown High Point.
Not only do market goers leave town for dining and entertainment, High Point residents are notorious for doing this. That is one of the main reasons High Point couldn't support a mall, along with the lack of trendiness of smaller regional malls.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:12 PM

587 posts, read 207,580 times
Quote:
Not only do market goers leave town for dining and entertainment, High Point residents are notorious for doing this.
Well, to be fair, there are so many market attendees that a lot of them have to leave. There are only so many restaurants that HP can support during the other 11 months. HP has never been able to support the market on its own; its always been a Triad-wide event.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Well, to be fair, there are so many market attendees that a lot of them have to leave. There are only so many restaurants that HP can support during the other 11 months. HP has never been able to support the market on its own; its always been a Triad-wide event.
You are right. High Point is the host city but it takes Greensboro, Winston-Salem and all their hotels to help support the market. This was why High Point at one time was scared of the Las Vegas market because there are so many hotel, dining and entertainment options within closer distance not to mention the allure and glitz of Las Vegas. Fortunately the two markets are no longer competing with each other because they are under the umbrella of the same market authority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or