U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 01:21 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,302,282 times

Advertisements

I wonder how the elitist will act with having to tolerate commoners wandering near their establishment?
The proposed location is going to wipe out about 4 blocks from between Gatewood (N), Elm (E), English (S), and Lindsay (W). Think the Enterprise, Adams Millis, the tire store, and whatever the hell is on the other block.

There are 3 types of businesses in downtown High Point; showrooms, showrooms under construction, and misc businesses that will someday close and become a showroom.
Unlike a blighted, abandoned downtown there isn't anything to develop or revitalize because it is all showroom space. Yeah, it's empty 48 weeks out of a year but apparently the rent is sweet enough for these properties that opening for 4 weeks is all that is needed. This will prove a real hindrance to attract non-furniture related business downtown.
Let's not forget the previous bungled downtown revitalization effort, it tanked so rapidly it was moved north and called "uptown revitalization."
It should prove very interesting when the market comes to town and High Pointers are shut out of their own stadium so the marketeers can be entertained.

My two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 08:13 PM

647 posts, read 363,266 times
Stadium looks crappy compared to the one in Fayetteville that's only like 3 million dollars more.
Good for High Point though! It seems baseball is a trend in the state.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:28 PM

421 posts, read 293,107 times
So I found this article talking about the attendance among other teams in the Atlantic League. It actually appears to draw relatively well. The Long Island Ducks have the best attendance in the league the last two years. They have drawn a little over 5000 people a game the last two years. The Bridgeport Bluefish are the worst drawing team in the league at about 3000 a game in 2015 and down to about 2800 this year.

For the first year or two, the team should be able to draw at least 3000 a game. During the week, the team should draw 1000-1500 a game and then weekends could draw north of 4000/game. That kind of activity hopefully will be enough to be a catalyst for further development in downtown.

2016 Independent Attendance by Average | Ballpark Digest

As far as the renderings, they're just rough renderings as it is. They are not likely to be very representative at all of the final product. In fact, I read in another source that they are considering letting the builder take care of the design and build of the stadium which could lead to a very different appearance than what we are seeing. One reason why High Point's stadium is so expensive though is for the land acquisition in addition to demolition of what is there. If I'm not mistaken, Fayetteville is building on top of fresh land that isn't being redeveloped.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:00 AM

4,580 posts, read 4,395,902 times
So is the $10 million for the land in addition of the $30 million? As far as design goes. The retro ballparks have had there time. I think they should go for a modern contemporary ballpark which would stand out from what Greensboro and Winston-Salem have done.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:22 AM

93 posts, read 82,838 times
I can't get excited over this, even if I see the appeal of it. My family is not into sports at all but would have appreciated the concert venue aspect of this. However, they seem to be hyping it for "Christian Music" concerts in most of the articles I've read. Ugh.

It might be good as festival space (that beer festival we had for a year or two sure could have used it) but if they're not planning on bringing in anything but sports and bad music, I will never be excited about this personally. It's not as if I'm excited about what's in that area currently either, though. So... womp, womp for me. I'm glad it provides a small incentive for a bit of change in the area, though. I hope it works.

@WFW&P When I first moved to this area 5 years ago, I mentioned exactly that about how it seemed as if HPU and the Furniture businesses were strangling any economic development or potential in the area to a few different people. All of them gave me looks as if I had killed a puppy.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:11 PM

4,580 posts, read 4,395,902 times
I guess the question is where does downtown High Point go from there? Showrooms take up the rest of downtown. But if it were me I would talk to the showroom owners about incorporating retail, entertainment and restaurants on the ground levels. Could they sacrifice space for those kind of establishments?

Old 04-06-2017, 08:47 PM

421 posts, read 293,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL77 View Post
I can't get excited over this, even if I see the appeal of it. My family is not into sports at all but would have appreciated the concert venue aspect of this. However, they seem to be hyping it for "Christian Music" concerts in most of the articles I've read. Ugh.

It might be good as festival space (that beer festival we had for a year or two sure could have used it) but if they're not planning on bringing in anything but sports and bad music, I will never be excited about this personally. It's not as if I'm excited about what's in that area currently either, though. So... womp, womp for me. I'm glad it provides a small incentive for a bit of change in the area, though. I hope it works.

@WFW&P When I first moved to this area 5 years ago, I mentioned exactly that about how it seemed as if HPU and the Furniture businesses were strangling any economic development or potential in the area to a few different people. All of them gave me looks as if I had killed a puppy.
I'm fairly sure they did a beer festival at Harbor Park back in Norfolk and I know for a fact that it has been done in other ballparks around the country (Charlotte is one park I can confirm did this in the offseason). And while there will be quite a few Christian concerts at the park (it IS North Carolina afterall), I'm sure we'll get a few other acts as well.

But I'm excited about the ballpark. Both of the current teams around here are affiliated with major league teams that I couldn't care less about (in many cases, when I go to games I'll be rooting against the hometown team because they'll be playing the Baltimore affiliate). The High Point team will be its own entity.

However, even not caring about sports, the good thing the stadium will do at the least is bringing a couple thousand people downtown about 70 nights/afternoons a year. That could raise some demand for some newer restaurants and such.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL77 View Post
I've talked to a few residents over the years that feel the same way. High Point is extremely cliqueish, an overgrown Mayberry. But as long as the old money hangs on to the furniture market the downtown will never be anything more than showroom.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
I'm fairly sure they did a beer festival at Harbor Park back in Norfolk and I know for a fact that it has been done in other ballparks around the country (Charlotte is one park I can confirm did this in the offseason). And while there will be quite a few Christian concerts at the park (it IS North Carolina afterall), I'm sure we'll get a few other acts as well.

But I'm excited about the ballpark. Both of the current teams around here are affiliated with major league teams that I couldn't care less about (in many cases, when I go to games I'll be rooting against the hometown team because they'll be playing the Baltimore affiliate). The High Point team will be its own entity.

However, even not caring about sports, the good thing the stadium will do at the least is bringing a couple thousand people downtown about 70 nights/afternoons a year. That could raise some demand for some newer restaurants and such.
Have you heard of Hopfest in the Boro? It's a beerfest that started in High Point, by a High Point resident who wanted to bring a beerfest to High Point. I attended the first and only one because, despite the fact it actually had a good turnout for year one, the city denied the next year citing they wanted a nationally recognized beer festival.
So the High Point Hopfest moved to Greensboro and became Hopfest in the Boro. This is the kind of BS entrepreneurial types have to deal with in High Point.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:01 AM

93 posts, read 82,838 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. I support the stadium; I'm just not excited about it as an entity.
This area NEEDS entertainment options besides bowling, trampoline centers, and mini-golf. Hopefully this spurs more in that vein, as well.

Quote:
haha As WFW&P mentioned above, High Point already chased off one beer festival. It would probably take quite a bit of incentive to get that one back in HP. The organizers sounded pretty mad about it last time I saw. I'm sure some festivals will be held there eventually, though.
As far as concerts go, you know me and know that it's unlikely they'll bring in anything I'd be interested in(I always have to drive to Charlotte, Carrboro, Raleigh, etc to see bands I like) but yes, I hope they expand it past Christian concerts. An overly wholesome or religious vibe is not going to attract the kind of downtown most of us envision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or