U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 02:06 PM

4,592 posts, read 4,407,771 times

Advertisements

I think the surrounding development in the renderings are just there to show what will eventually surround the stadium. Maybe the hotel is a future phase. I agree that there isn't enough business activity downtown at the moment for a hotel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 02:23 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,313,001 times
Since HP is not about to kick vendors out of the showrooms perhaps new growth shoots could sprout towards the dead West End. Other than that it's an uphill battle with medical facilities to the north, Main St to the east, RR tracks to the south.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:34 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,313,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
True, downtown highpoint is completely dead, not in the sense that it does not have anything, just decades of zoning issues and no loitering laws killed any hope of downtown HP becoming a thriving and vibrant place like it's bigger neighbors, a plan like this should have been put into action a decade or two ago before downtown just became one big showroom. But I still have hope, however. It took Winston Salem and Greensboro 20+ years to get their downtowns to where they are today. High Point has a long way to go.

This could definitely benefit nicely from the furniture market.
I don't know if HP just didn't think through the long term pitfalls of the entire downtown becoming a showroom or didn't care. Even as plants vacated the city, the city kept forging ahead with this pattern. The only way I can see this changing is market attendance decreasing sharply enough for property owners to look for tenants other than furniture.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:29 AM

Forward High Point buys two tracts if land for mixed use development near planned downtown ballpark.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/new...mixed-use.html

Old 06-24-2017, 01:36 PM

94 posts, read 83,815 times
conceptual layout
Attached Thumbnails
 Million Stadium Coming to Downtown High Point-screen-shot-2017-06-23-122213  

Old 06-24-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL77 View Post
conceptual layout
Did they nix the soccer field?

Old 06-24-2017, 03:51 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,040,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
The Triad could certainly have enough support for AA (frankly the difference in fan support between High-A and AA isn't much at all). However, one of the big differences between High-A and AA is the locations of the leagues. Granted, the Eastern League's Richmond Flying Squirrels are about three and a half hours away and Kodak in the Southern League is slightly further. But I'm not sure I see either league expanding to NC. Especially with the Charlotte Knights and Durham Bulls already here.
Location is the problem. Zebulon's AA team moved to Pensacola to cut down on exorbitant travel costs. Any trip over a certain amount of miles (500, I think), the team is required to fly. Bus trips are much cheaper. Other than the two AAA teams, NC's minor league options are Carolina, South Atlantic, Appalachian, and the Independents - purely from a travel expense standpoint.

The strongest candidate to bump up to AA is the Wilmington (Del.) Blue Rocks. They came close to moving out of the Carolina League a couple of years ago when the original effort by the Texas Rangers to bring a team to Kinston fell through because of shenanigans in the three-way-deal by the owner of the Binghamton (NY) team.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:48 PM

I don't see the Triad ever going as high as AAA and thats mainly due to territorial rights. For example, a AAA team in Greensboro would mean that Winston's team would have to move unless it switched to an independent league. AAA in Durham is the reason there is no baseball team in Raleigh. AAA requires more regional support as oppose to city support.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:29 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,323,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
For example, a AAA team in Greensboro would mean that Winston's team would have to move unless it switched to an independent league.
Not necessarily, I might be mistaken, but I think the minor league territorial rule, also known as the "35 mile rule" is the same regardless if teams are AAA, AA, High A, Low A, etc. The territorial range doesn't increase or decrease based on class size.

Many teams already violate this rule, and you say how can that be, they get waivers and/or one teams off the other team or they mutually agree to coexist. It is already just a ~30 mile distance from where the Grasshoppers play to where the Dash play, with one team being Low A and other High A, clearly violating the "35 mile rule".

Old 07-06-2017, 07:37 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,106,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Not necessarily, I might be mistaken, but I think the minor league territorial rule, also known as the "35 mile rule" is the same regardless if teams are AAA, AA, High A, Low A, etc. The territorial range doesn't increase or decrease based on class size.

Many teams already violate this rule, and you say how can that be, they get waivers and/or one teams off the other team or they mutually agree to coexist. It is already just a ~30 mile distance from where the Grasshoppers play to where the Dash play, with one team being Low A and other High A, clearly violating the "35 mile rule".
Some teams may have been grandfathered in when the "35 mile rule" was enacted (I have no idea when that was). Also, I think an existing team can approve a team within the 35 mile radius if they so desire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or