U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2017, 09:40 AM

4,111 posts, read 2,001,465 times

Advertisements

We drove through Elkin, NC yesterday and wonder if anyone could tell us about the town. It seemed like a neat little area and wonder what it's like living there. Was very quiet for a Sat afternoon - very little traffic in downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 09:46 AM

3,740 posts, read 2,558,854 times
I spent my summers of college working at a Summer Camp in the blue-ridge mountains about 20 minutes away from Elkin; Elkin was the nearest "big town" to get to on break times and where we would take stayover campers on the weekends between sessions for a "night out".

Elkin has the largest wal-mart on the east coast!..or at least it was at that time (2008-2012)

Theo's Italian restaurant is pretty good and right next to the movie theater in town.

Not a whole lot going on. Fine little town though.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:00 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,654,997 times
They have a nice wine festival.

There has been a long-time, strong resistance to merging the three school systems in Surry County (Surry Co, Mount Airy City, & Elkin City). I haven't kept up in recent years, but Elkin City schools always ranked high in various ratings.

Chatham Manufacturing (blankets and other textiles) was the major employer for many, many years. A trip to the Chatham factory store used to be a special treat a looooong time ago. The Chatham family (and executives) were very philanthropic and community-minded, e.g. Chatham Hospital, etc.

Brendle's used to be an important regional chain of catalog showroom stores locally owned and headquartered in Elkin. They closed in the mid-90's.

Like most other small, southern towns, the textile industry is no longer the predominant employer. I don't know who the important private employers are today. I do know that there has been a dedicated group of small business owners who have worked hard over the years to fix up and maintain downtown Elkin to the best of their abilities.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:38 PM

272 posts, read 684,558 times
I've lived in the area for 8 years and watched Elkin go... nowhere unfortunately. Just when things start to get going they peter out. People try to start new businesses and they coast along for a bit then gradually die. My impression is that there's a group of people in the city who like things the way they are so they discourage change.

It's a shame. I had high hopes when I moved here and even sent my kid to school there but I wasn't impressed.

Biggest employer now is Walmart and Hugh Chatham Memorial hospital which is in partnership with Novant.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:12 AM

4,111 posts, read 2,001,465 times
We went back through Elkin again to check it out one more time. The downtown (on a Sunday morning) was void of humans - only one person on the street and all shops closed except for restaurant at the end of town. Guessing 1/6th of stores were empty and a few changing tenants. We'll have to check it out during the week at some point.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:24 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,654,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
We went back through Elkin again to check it out one more time. The downtown (on a Sunday morning) was void of humans - only one person on the street and all shops closed except for restaurant at the end of town. Guessing 1/6th of stores were empty and a few changing tenants. We'll have to check it out during the week at some point.
Sunday mornings in small town NC - people are in church.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:30 PM

182 posts, read 142,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I spent my summers of college working at a Summer Camp in the blue-ridge mountains about 20 minutes away from Elkin; Elkin was the nearest "big town" to get to on break times and where we would take stayover campers on the weekends between sessions for a "night out".

Elkin has the largest wal-mart on the east coast!..or at least it was at that time (2008-2012)

Theo's Italian restaurant is pretty good and right next to the movie theater in town.

Not a whole lot going on. Fine little town though.
Cherrio by any chance?
Went there when I was so young, LOVED it !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point