U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2008, 08:59 PM

36 posts, read 106,702 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
I am graduating in May from the University of Central Oklahoma. Most likely I am going to be getting a big internship at Wake Forest Univerity. I will be moving in late June to the area. I am a single 23 year old male. From what I hear it is a beautiful area of the country and the people are friendly. Could everyone help me out as to what the area is like and some basic things that would help me out? Thanks so much your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 09:12 PM

3,021 posts, read 10,097,862 times
I can't tell you much about Winston-Salem specifically, but as a UCO alumna I figured I should pop my head in to say hello. I moved to NC a couple of years ago & found the transition to be quite easy. The people here are very similar to those I knew in Oklahoma (fairly friendly & polite, strangers hold open doors & may randomly start talking to you in line at the grocery store, etc.). The summers here are virtually identical to what you've experienced in Edmond. The winters are more mild, though. The landscape is much different; there are many more trees in NC than in central OK. There are numerous other things that are different (the BBQ, for one), but all in all I found it a very easy move. I hope it's easy for you, too!

Old 03-11-2008, 09:03 AM

10 posts, read 50,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgastelum07 View Post
Hey everyone,
I am graduating in May from the University of Central Oklahoma. Most likely I am going to be getting a big internship at Wake Forest Univerity. I will be moving in late June to the area. I am a single 23 year old male. From what I hear it is a beautiful area of the country and the people are friendly. Could everyone help me out as to what the area is like and some basic things that would help me out? Thanks so much your time
Well, WS is not the singles mecca of the world (not a lot of bars and night clubs), however there is plenty to do...i recommend checking out this site. it's updated weekly and has a lot of good information about WS.

Smitty's Notes: What's Happening in Winston-Salem, North Carolina

i've lived in WS most of my life and i wouldn't lifv anywhere else (although i have :-))

Old 03-14-2008, 09:11 AM

Default Thanks

Hey thanks very much for the help. I think it will be great. Go Bronchos !!! Any more information from anyone will help me out so much.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:48 PM

210 posts, read 445,906 times
Default some more information for you

[quote=Bgastelum07;3058382]Hey everyone,
I am graduating in May from the University of Central Oklahoma. Most likely I am going to be getting a big internship at Wake Forest Univerity. I will be moving in late June to the area. I am a single 23 year old male. From what I hear it is a beautiful area of the country and the people are friendly. Could everyone help me out as to what the area is like and some basic things that would help me out? Thanks so much your time[/quo

We moved here from Massachusetts in May, and I am in love with this city. Of course, we are older than you are, and I am married, but you can still learn from my viewpoint. I know nothing about Oklahoma, so I can't do a comparison.

Yes, it is beautiful, and the weather is temperate. 4 Seasons, but no extremes like we were used to in New England. Love the people.

Wake Forest campus is gorgeous; it is close to shopping centers and to downtown, where there are so many opportunities to be involved in the arts and crafts. Friday night is big for eating out, and downtown seems to be a big hangout for people in your age group.

In the summer on weekends, they close off the streets downtown and have festivals, so again you have more opportunity to mill around and meet all kinds of people. I find the people to be open and friendly, but you have to have a smile on your face too.

Getting around town is easy once you know the road layout, and many roads go on for miles, so you can find familiar names and not be lost. Very different from New England where a street is one name, then turns into another in a few blocks.

Hope you enjoy your internship!

Old 04-08-2008, 05:35 PM

Thanks, very much for the information. I hear a lot of great things about Winston-Salem and I am excited to be going there. I think of it as an adventure. Keep up the great posts and information. I hope everyone has a great day

Old 05-26-2008, 03:30 PM

Default Housing

As my posts have stated, I am moving to Winston-Salem. If anyone could help me on great areas to rent from that would be great. I will be on limited income and I am looking for something close to Wake Forest University since I will be working with their athletic program. I am looking for a nice 1 bedroom or a studio. Thanks so much.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:18 PM

3 posts, read 5,220 times
I just graduated from App State and moved back to W-S, but I grew up here, so maybe I can help. There are some apartments around WFU, mostly along Reynolda Rd or Silas Creek. The main thing to keep in mind is to stay west of University Parkway (crime), for the most part. The area around Wake/Mount Tabor High School is really quite nice, but a little pricey. However, moving any further away from the area will mean a commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point