U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 08:57 PM
JAS

569 posts, read 1,774,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme
I noticed the high crime rate on the internet too! Especially compared to Raleigh which is a lot bigger. Is it a bad place to raise a family? How are the schools? We have been thinking about the Triad area, but the crime rate seems high in all three cities. Does anyone know of neighboring small towns that are nice?
The crime rate in Raleigh is about the same as in Greensboro if you look at the crime index on the city-data.com city summaries. Also, Raleigh isn't that much larger than GSO - the Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point area ("Triad") actually has a larger population than the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area ("Triangle").

Again, almost all of the crime problems in GSO are limited to the "bad side" of town, and I honestly don't have any need to go on that side of town. Unlike some larger cities, we don't have a gang problem where the crime spills out into other parts of the city. I read crime reports every week in a small weekly newspaper published in NW GSO and Guilford County, and most of the crime in this area of Greensboro and the county are DWI's, domestic problems, petty theft - virtually no violent crime our house break-ins. It is probably similar in W-S from what I've gathered.

North High Point is a formerly rural area that is now suburbs (although there is still open space in many areas), but High Point "proper" has a very high crime rate.

The schools in the Triad are hit-or-miss depending on where you live. It's often a common sense decision - the worst schools are on the bad side of town; the better schools aren't on the bad side of town. The only exception is north High Point, where the school Board is redistricting the area and shipping kids to one of the poorly-rated inner-city HP schools -- this has been a controversy for a few years. The Board hasn't done that with GSO, however. One probelm with the schools - as is the case throughout NC from what I've seen - is overcrowding.

The Triad as a whole is extremely family-friendly. My wife is a stay-at-home mom, and our 5-yr-old daughter will start kindergarten in a few months. There is a stay-at-home mom's network in GSO that she joined shortly after our child was born, and she is still very good friends with a few of the people that were part of her small group.

Our daughter has been enrolled in a "mother's morning out" preshool program offered at a local church - these are very popular here - she goes 3 days a week from 9:00 - 1:00. Other activities are the GSO Children's Museum, GSO Science Center, numerous parks and playgrounds, the NC Zoo (a large zoo that is only 45 minutes away), plays, etc. W-S also has a Children's museum and Science Center. Old Salem is also a neat place to walk around.

GSO has a very good reputation as being family-friendly -- that is a common theme that I've heard from transplants to the area.

Last edited by JAS; 04-29-2006 at 09:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2006, 11:37 AM

676 posts, read 2,801,846 times
Thanks JAS! What a relief to hear from a local and know that the crime stats are skewed. I compared them to a local town near me that I never want to go to because of their high gang rate and I got scared when I saw the Triad actually had higher crime stats. So, besides Greensboro, the Triad area isn't experiencing the same problems with their schools like the Research Triangle area? I would hate for my child to be shuffled around. I can feel the pain for those parents and understand their anger. Another question, I was shocked to learn that Raleigh can experience the tail end of some hurricanes. Do hurricanes also get to the Triad area? Next to high crime, I fear hurricanes the most!

Old 04-30-2006, 02:04 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,668,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme
Thanks JAS! What a relief to hear from a local and know that the crime stats are skewed. I compared them to a local town near me that I never want to go to because of their high gang rate and I got scared when I saw the Triad actually had higher crime stats. So, besides Greensboro, the Triad area isn't experiencing the same problems with their schools like the Research Triangle area? I would hate for my child to be shuffled around. I can feel the pain for those parents and understand their anger. Another question, I was shocked to learn that Raleigh can experience the tail end of some hurricanes. Do hurricanes also get to the Triad area? Next to high crime, I fear hurricanes the most!
Some hurricanes are so massive that the whole state is in danger regardless of where the eye is located. I remember seeing a photo for one hurricane in which the only visible part of the state was the very western tip around Murphy, NC. The entire rest of the state was engulfed. The lenght of NC is almost 600 miles.

http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/office/newsletters/2004Fall/hurricane.gif (broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 04-30-2006 at 02:27 PM..

Old 04-30-2006, 04:08 PM
JAS

569 posts, read 1,774,809 times
Default hurricanes

There has historically been little damage to the Triad because of hurricanes. The mountians get a jolt from flooding that may occur when a hurricane passes through - ask anyone who lived in the mountains last year - and Raleigh would get more damage since it is about 75 miles to the east of Greensboro/Winston-Salem (therefore, that much closer to the heavier winds). Wilmington and the eastern part of the state are hammered on occasion, with Floyd in 1999 causing massive flooding. There was a stretch of storms in the 1990's that seemed to hit Wilmington once or twice per year, but it goes in cycles.

Not to say that the Triad has never had, nor will ever have, significant damage from a hurricane, but it isn't something to be concerned about in my opinion. I believe that Hugo was the last hurricane to cause damage in the Triad, and that was back around 1989. Remnants of a few others may have passed through since then, but nothing significant.

Apart from an occasional ice storm during the winter that may bring down tree limbs, the weather in the Triad is very moderate. Summer thunderstorms are probably not any more dangerous or different than any other place in the eastern U.S.

I can understand someone not wanting to move to the Triad because it is not a "hot" market and the economy may not be as thriving or diverse as Charlotte and Raleigh, but hurricanes shouldn't be a reason to not come here.

Getting away from hurricanes for a moment, the primary criticisms I have heard about the Triad are (with my personal comments):
1) I would rather live in Raleigh or Charlotte due to better job opportunities (I believe that is valid to a degree);
2) The pace is too "slow" - not a fast-paced way of living (yes, that is true);
3) Crime is bad (it is in certain parts, but it isn't widespread);
4) The schools aren't good (they aren't any different than the other metro areas of NC - there is a direct relationship between the neighborhood in which you live and the quality of that particular school).
5) There isn't anything to do for fun (Raleigh and Charlotte may have some offerings that the Triad doesn't, but the Triad isn't devoid of entertainment options - besides, CLT and RAL are short drives from the Triad if there is a specific art exhibit or NFL/NHL game you want to attend).

The Triad certainly isn't for everyone - if you're accustomed to a fast pace, this area may drive you crazy! However, it is a better option than Raleigh or Charlotte in some instances. I can live in almost any metro area of NC due to my job, but I live in the Triad by choice.

A lot of newcomers would rather live in RAL and CLT since they will meet more transplants like themselves, which makes them more comfortable with the transition to a new place. I certainly don't mean any disrespect by that - if I were packing up and moving halfway (or the entire way!) across the country, I would probably also seek an area where others have done the same. The Triad hasn't seen the same degree of relocation as RAL and CLT.

Old 05-02-2006, 05:52 PM

5 posts, read 14,555 times
Can anyone advise on the Clemmons area? It appears to fairly low in crime, and the homes seem to be quite reasonable.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:26 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,183,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISH872
Can anyone advise on the Clemmons area? It appears to fairly low in crime, and the homes seem to be quite reasonable.
Clemmons is an old village – founded in 1802 – that has become more a burb of W-S; largely residential. It’s wedged between the burgeoning shopping area of Hanes Mall Blvd in W-S, where the mall, Big Box stores, restaurants and hospitals are located and the affluent eastern side of Davie County. It is a diverse area, having easy access to mega-shopping, median priced homes, good hospitals and recreation. Clemmons is near Tanglewood Park, an estate that once belonged to a member of the RJ Reynolds family but is now run by Forsyth County http://www.co.forsyth.nc.us/tanglewood/ (broken link). It hosts several festivals, was once the location of the Bing Crosby Golf tournament (the adjacent bridge spanning the Yakin River is named for his wife, Kathryn), and is now known as a family-oriented recreation area. If you want to look at an attractive housing development, check out Kinderton Village (I have no affiliation with the development. We’ve driven through it several times and noted that it might be a nice area to move into once our critter population drops). Kinderton is located near the intersection of 801 and I-40 in Davie County, just down the road from Clemmons. The developers have built it in more a “village” scheme. There is a mix of free standing homes, patio homes, and condos. Most of the freestanding homes have detached garages behind the house that are accessed by an alley. Facing the street, lined with sidewalks on both sides, all you see is the front of the house with a large porch. You don’t have those yawning garages facing the street. At the front of the village is a shopping area with grocery, bank, etc. There have been rumors that a large Walmart was to be located there, but it hasn’t appeared yet.

To find out more about Clemmons, check this link for the municipality http://www.clemmons.org/

Old 05-03-2006, 09:33 AM

404 posts, read 2,457,106 times
thanks for info on clemmons,if you go to realtor.com and you look at the cheapest lots available-are their any of those that you can recommend(lots of land that are in a good area)

Old 05-03-2006, 04:43 PM

404 posts, read 2,457,106 times
just bumping up to top

Old 05-19-2006, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 4,664 times
Hi, everyone. I am moving to W-S from Gastonia, where I have lived for the past 3 years. Before living in the 'gasshouse' I have lived in DE, SC, CT, NY and TX. So we have seen a few different types of living sceanrios. Im wondering about the town of Lewisville....it seems like a town that wants to stay small but upper scale? We are looking for a nice community with decent access to north W-S proper as my wife will be working for Sara Lee in that area.......anyfeedback is appreciated.....

Old 05-20-2006, 09:54 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,183,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canine7
thanks for info on clemmons,if you go to realtor.com and you look at the cheapest lots available-are their any of those that you can recommend(lots of land that are in a good area)
Canine check your inbox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point