U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-12-2006, 03:25 PM

9 posts, read 35,849 times
Thumbs up Winston-Salem is a Kept Secret

The people are so embracing here, and everything works so well, that you will love it. Where are you moving from?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 09:18 AM

22 posts, read 59,718 times
I'd like to know more about the Elizabeth City, Edenton and Ahoskie areas. Do these areas tend to flood? Are these considered "small towns"? I would like to be in an area where I know my neighbors well enough for the kids to play together and maybe hang out on occasion, but not so picky and nosey that I have to play twenty questions everytime I pull in the driveway. How are the middle schools?

Any info would be appreciated, My son and I could really use the input.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:41 PM

66 posts, read 237,058 times
Question Day Programs for Adults w/Dev. Disabilities-Winston-Salem

I'm considering possible relocation to NC.
My son is 29 and has autism.
How available are services/programs in the Winston-Salem area? Anyone know?

Viki-NYC

Old 01-27-2007, 07:41 AM

We are moving from NYC! So, Tell me more! I know people are embracing We love it for that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGays View Post
The people are so embracing here, and everything works so well, that you will love it. Where are you moving from?

Old 01-27-2007, 09:21 PM

26 posts, read 66,705 times
Default Toria/gmb

you probably want to look North of Greensboro in the Summerfield, Stokesdale, Rockingham County area
especially if you have horses, lots of open land, less expensive than Greensboro or Winston, no huge factories blowing smoke,
Country peaceful living, far enough to comfortable, yet close to everything to be convenient and close enough to the big cities that if you get a taste for a littler wilder life it's just 30 minutes down the road
I can provide a little more detail through PM if you require it

Old 01-29-2007, 09:55 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,737,786 times
My family lives in Winston (North Carolinians call it "Winston"). Winston-Salem has the second best skyline in NC, behind only Charlotte, largely because it was or is the headquarters for some major corporations like RJ Reynolds, Wachovia, and BB&T. Winston-Salem's proximity to the mountains is a plus, providing glimpses of the mountains on clear days. Also, you get more snow in Winston-Salem than in Charlotte or Raleigh, which I like. However, the Triad is culturally more conservative than Raleigh-Durham, which is a major negative to me. It is not the type of place progressives or young hip people flock too, which has meant I had to move away to DC. If they can attract a younger, hipper, more progressive group of people, Winston would be a very nice place to live.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:06 AM

699 posts, read 1,705,914 times
I feel the same as Tarheelhombre about Winston Salem...with the exception of progressives. I had to move away to get more of the big city amenities and lifestyle, but W-S offers a good bit in the way of arts, entertainment, and sports with Wake Forest. There is a large arts community there which makes the atmosphere somewhat more progressive than many other cities it's size.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:09 PM

26 posts, read 66,705 times
Default Fed X Hub

I expect when the Fed X Hub hits the Greensboro airport in 2009, you'll see another meaning for the word progressive

Old 02-11-2007, 04:17 PM

From Manhattan

Big change, but I love it. How about you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGays View Post

Old 02-11-2007, 07:14 PM

4 posts, read 10,213 times
Mocksville - (Davie County) has that old time feel. Still has the downtown courthouse square, gas lamps, sidewalks. Kernersville (between W/S & GSO), Summerfield, and if you can stand the constant "Mayberry" references, try Mt. Airy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point