U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 10:42 PM

699 posts, read 2,341,403 times

Advertisements

In reference to the original question...I've always thought that both Winston-Salem and GSO have a quiet laid back presence in N.C. The other major metros are very aggressive in recruiting and sharing their great cities with anyone who will listen, while the Triad cities are quietly growing at a steady, healthy rate both economically and in population. There isn't as much "My city is better than your city" kind of boosterism...although there is some of that between W-S and GSO.

Last edited by autumngal; 09-09-2008 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: link removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 10:25 AM

75 posts, read 356,899 times
Autism Society of NC: http://www.autismsociety-nc.org/

Old 02-18-2007, 12:24 AM

8 posts, read 24,294 times
Default Who won't like it here

If you are thinking about moving to W-S do not come here if you are interested in technology. While BIO and Banking are big here and support the large population of retirees, any kind of technology is sorely lacking and the pay is terrible. I am not sure how folks live on what they do down here. I was in IT in the north and salaries were MUCH higher. I am not even talking about big cities either. There also is not a heck of a lot to do here, it is a relatively boring place to live unless you enjoy frolicking in the past of the Moravian culture. This is just my personal opinion of course but that tradition is essentially dull and very boring. There are only a handful of folks that are interested in that subject, which adds to the lackluster feel you get while walking through old Salem. You can really get the idea that there is not a lot of interest because there are not many people walking around, and those that are there look like they might be sleep walking. Its just not a very uplifting or interesting place. Its kind of like, ok done that and got it out of the way.
There are also a ton of retired people here as well, which is not to say that is bad. BUT that does give way to a lot of strip mall, cheesy restaraunts, and convenient stores and such. There are a ton of doctors and hospitals to take care of the aging so if you are in the medical or pharma occupation you might like it.
Winston-Salem also does its fair share of taxing. The outer areas, like Clemmons for example, does not tax nearly as much as W-S. So that is something to consider.
As for friendly people, I cannot say that I found it to be any friendlier than where we were up north. And I cannot say it is any less-friendly. I can say that I have been called a yankee many times, and some of those times were said with disgust. And we don't even live in a rural area, a place you might expect to find that behavior. So there is definately an element of some northern distaste. One thing I can say as an incontrovertible fact, they majority of folks drive terrible down here, and I mean TERRIBLE. Most of them do not use turn signals so I have seen some pretty stupid wrecks. So you really have to be careful. Seriously it is really bad.
The looks of the area, comparatively speaking, are not the best. The city itself really looks beat. There are areas that area decent but most buildings both in and out have the dingy, wash out 70's feeling. Again there are parts and buildings that are nice but style down here is not top of mind. Old Salem is the most scenic and nicer of areas.
Service, in my estimation and that of many others (even southerns) the service is for the most part bad. There is a real sense of nothing is too important. Even where there is decent service, the idea of a job well done tends to really be lacking. From restaraunts all the way to Lowes type stores there are very few places that give good service. The ones that do, like the Home Depot on Hanes Mall Blvd, are worth the trip. The food, this is a shocker, is very expensive and really quite bad. Another negative! Coming from the north we figured with longer growing seasons that we would get much better produce and much better pricing that upstate NY but we were mistaken. You have to be very picky of the food you buy here. And the seafood is just plain bad. My wife and I are shocked at how bad the seafood is down here. That one hit us because we love seafood and figured being so close to the ocean we would have better tasting seafood.
The weather is hotter than "HE double hockey sticks" and is sticky like peanut butter in the summer. So if you like to be outside in the summer, be ready for a BIG shock or to live inside during the summer. Something so wrong about living inside during the summer. I know understand the saying, living in the south will make you soft. So if you want to be soft this is the place for you.
So BE CAREFUL before you move here. I personally cannot stand it as you might have imagined, but my wife likes it here. However many of my points that I made she agrees with but can overlook for the time being. But we have both realized that we have to move somewhere else where we can both make money and enjoy the area. So as soon as we are able our family will be moving elsewhere.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:29 PM

3,114 posts, read 4,145,903 times
The weather is not hotter than hockey sticks, comparatively speaking. As someone from W-S, I can tell you that it is only hot there from Mid June through late August. The peak average high temperature in DC is 87 or 88 degrees in mid/late July, which is lower than DC or Baltimore's average. THe area receives a little less than a foot of snow on average per year, sometimes significantly more. Yeah it's humid in the summer, but three months is not a big deal. Don't exaggerate or misrepresent.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:01 PM

My husband is in IT and is very glad for the move here from "up North." He would like to get a tech job in Winston-Salem, but so far there is little hope for that. Greensboro and High Point are a lot better for IT jobs. My husband has found almost no prejudice toward him as someone born and raised a Yankee. He expected it and was glad when he didn't find it. The Yankees who are rude to locals will get rude behavior back. I worked in Winston-Salem and almost all of my bosses at at least one job were from NY or PA. There is a significant portion of Yankees who have moved down here and love it.

I personally think Greensboro drivers are worse than Winston-Salem drivers. Some more rural areas have horrid drivers who drive on the wrong side of the street, have never heard of a turn signal and pay no attention to speed limits.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:21 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,859,230 times
Thumbs up W-S is pretty

Now if you like big trees, as I do, and if you like history, and if you like access to vineyards and mountains, and like good eating, then maybe, like me, you'll like W-S.

Since moving to NC from No. CA, I've found the people who like NC and find it friendly and congenial are those who bring a happy, friendly attitude with them.

The grouches and the grumps usually don't enjoy NC too much. Seems to me, life's like a mirror--you get back what you reflect. Being out-going and friendly myself, I've gotten nothing back except courtesy and kindness. I'm at home here.

The food's good--and some of it is different from what I was used to. Doesn't mean it's bad. The first time I tried to cook collards, they were just plain nasty-- and bitter. But it wasn't the collards fault. Because then someone took pity on me and told me about adding in some ham hocks and a bit of sugar and some salt. And cooking some for a good long time. Now I love them.

And pig picking? Since I love pork, I took to pig picking the way a duck takes to water.

And yes, it's true, a couple of time's I have been called a Yankee. But I just said, "Well bless your heart, I'm a North Carolinian now, so you'd better be calling me a Yankee Belle." If that doesn't get a smile, then, well heck, there's grumpy people everywhere. No one's ever cut me off in traffic here the way I used to get cut off in San Francisco.

So, not to ramble, but W-S seems a fine city to me, though I'm living right now on the coast. Just bring your smiles and you'll find lots of smiles to meet yours.

And if there's something you don't like about W-S--join up and help with revitalization. There's no better way to make friends and build community.

Last edited by LittleDolphin; 02-20-2007 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 02-20-2007, 05:24 PM

699 posts, read 2,341,403 times
Someone called you a yankee and you're from San Francisco? That's hilarious! And it reveals the name-caller's level of intelligence. Nice informative post from a recent transplant...I think you hit the bullseye with your advice!

Old 03-10-2007, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,973 times
Thumbs down ws is a dump

jakekub,

I here ya. You are dead on with your comments. I've been here 2 years and grow to like it less with every passing day. I'm in the tech field and continue to commute since there are few, if any, opportunities here. The main problem is the overall look and feel of the city. There is a major lack of style and class throughout it. You've got strip mall fever everywhere or just very poor planning with development. The lack of control and oversight by the city government is obvious when you look at how the area has developed over the years. It's very poor with not much of a middle class. This results in having low-income subsidized housing across 1st street next to the mansions on stratford rd. This same thing exists everywhere downtown. For some reason my wife likes it here. I'm just glad I didn't buy a house downtown. We were originally looking in west end. What a joke. Not sure why anyone lives there. People are delusional and somehow find comfort in living 3 blocks from the projects. Plus, I'm sure this city will be the last bastion against banning smoking in public establishments. What more needs to be said?

Old 03-11-2007, 03:15 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,115,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooaway View Post
jakekub,

I here ya. You are dead on with your comments. I've been here 2 years and grow to like it less with every passing day. I'm in the tech field and continue to commute since there are few, if any, opportunities here. The main problem is the overall look and feel of the city. There is a major lack of style and class throughout it. You've got strip mall fever everywhere or just very poor planning with development. The lack of control and oversight by the city government is obvious when you look at how the area has developed over the years. It's very poor with not much of a middle class. This results in having low-income subsidized housing across 1st street next to the mansions on stratford rd. This same thing exists everywhere downtown. For some reason my wife likes it here. I'm just glad I didn't buy a house downtown. We were originally looking in west end. What a joke. Not sure why anyone lives there. People are delusional and somehow find comfort in living 3 blocks from the projects. Plus, I'm sure this city will be the last bastion against banning smoking in public establishments. What more needs to be said?
Kinda makes one wonder why you chose to move here.....

Old 03-25-2007, 09:53 AM

Default Seafood

Winston-Salem is not close to the ocean, so not sure why anyone would expect fresh seafood this far inland. For great seafood try heading to the beach for the weekend. I cannot recommend a single seafood place in W-S I would guarantee a good meal at every time you go. Uncle Harvy's near the colosseum is unique and worth a try for a nice lunch.

I would agree we need more restaurants and diversions. Lately it seems people are more and more willing to pay high prices for substandard food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point