U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 08:49 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,084,360 times

Advertisements

You know, there are these pesky little things called "facts" that sometimes get in the way of stereotypical thinking:

Average SAT scores (2007 data):

NY--Math 505, Reading 491, Writing 482
NC--Math 509, Reading 495, Writing 482

SAT scores by state - USATODAY.com

I think we're doing just fine down here compared to those wonderful NY schools, don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 09:31 AM

254 posts, read 825,431 times
I'd rather see the data comparing our schools just to the students of those narrowly-focused schools. That would be a more appropriate comparison. I would imagine that those students are faring better than the average NY student.

It will be nice when Americans come to realize that not every kid should aim for college. We have the problem of parents not being able to honestly assess their children's potential. Everyone wants to believe that their kids are smart and talented. That's usually not the case.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:01 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,621,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
You know, there are these pesky little things called "facts" that sometimes get in the way of stereotypical thinking:

Average SAT scores (2007 data):

NY--Math 505, Reading 491, Writing 482
NC--Math 509, Reading 495, Writing 482

SAT scores by state - USATODAY.com

I think we're doing just fine down here compared to those wonderful NY schools, don't you?
Right because data like that can't be twisted and tortured - ever!

I guess the fact that those scores also include one of the largest urban areas in the nation and world doesn't skew them at all either. Or the fact that neither state has a 100% participation rate.

I mean they EVEN SAY IT in the article!
Here's a look at SAT scores from each state and Washington, D.C. The College Board cautions against ranking states by scores. The reason: Scores vary greatly by how many students take the exam. The more who take it, the lower the state's score is likely to be.

States are listed according to their participation rates, or the percent of graduating students taking the exam.

NC in the cited above "data" had a participation rate of 71% while NY had an 89%.

If you like you can compare participation rates and scores for CT, MA, NH and VT to NC.

Sorry to bother you with those pesky things called "facts".

Old 10-24-2009, 07:16 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,084,360 times
^ I'm simply making the point that NC schools aren't as backwards or inferior as some would suggest. The fact that the scores are so high for kids who took the exam indicates they are learning something.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:49 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,304,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakekub View Post
I could not agree with you more, I have been nothing but nice to folks down here... and we moved down here with a lot of "looking forward" to being here. But things have just turned for the worse and I have found that I personally cannot stand southern cuisine and the laid back lifestyle. I just like things so much more active than living in a retirement community. And if you don't believe me on the retirement community visit the Chamber of Commerce website, where I am a member. They congratulate Winston on being one of the top 10 Best Places for retiree's. That is a big reason why this area is so far behind the rest of the country. I know, I get most of my business elsewhere.

And I will certainly dig into a place and help build it up. Once I find that place... Winston-Salem has turned into a pit stop for the family, the sooner we can get out of here the better. I disagree/dislike almost everything the city and the area are about. I am not slamming the place to be rude, some areas just don't suit certain people, we unfortunately moved into one of those areas. I would not move here again if I were paid a million a year.
When you come from the outside and are accustomed to amenities not available or limited in availability here it does make you stop and wonder what all the fuss is about.
Answer: you're a johnny come lately so you haven't had the privilege of seeing the way it was. Being here nearly all my life I, as well as many others, have seen the growth and the change and its been phenomenal. Can it use improvement? You bet.
The retirement statistics are not an accurate reflection of the area in general. If you would pull your head out of your arse for 2 seconds you would realize that seniors have a tendacy to flock south. Why? They are tired of freezing their old arses off, the very same reason many transplants move here. Look a FL aka "God's waiting room," the abundance of blue hairs haven't stopped areas such as Miami from growing. Although you state otherwise, if this area has nothing you want and you aren't willing to "dig in" & be a positive influence here it is pointless to move to a community that already has all in which you seek. That's the easy part. Sounds like you want to take the credit and not do any work.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 753 times
I was born in Winston Salem and grew up there in the 60's and 70's. The town had very blue-collar roots and all that comes with that (religious fundamentalism, limited exposure to the outside world, overt and covert racism, etc). When I left it was one of the best things I ever did. Some of that small-mindedness still exists in pockets even 50 years later but to a much lesser extent since there are more white collar jobs coming in from other parts of the country and world (and they bring a lot of traffic). There has always been a homeless problem downtown, but the current a "hipster revitalization" is making things better, similar to Triangle cities like Durham. One very major difference between the Triangle and the Triad is that each Triangle city has a major, nationally ranked University in the center of town. The neighborhoods around those schools provide a very diverse, mostly educated group of people that make interesting neighbors and give greater stability to the core of the cities. They also comprise a creative and entrepreneurial class that is fun to be around. Winston Salem just isn't at the same stage of redevelopment, and I think the fact that WFU is out in the older 'burbs is one of the reasons why. Bottom line: if you want to live in a low cost area that is just starting to figure out how to reinvent itself, go for it.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:19 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,432,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by last leaf View Post
I was born in Winston Salem and grew up there in the 60's and 70's. The town had very blue-collar roots and all that comes with that (religious fundamentalism, limited exposure to the outside world, overt and covert racism, etc). When I left it was one of the best things I ever did. Some of that small-mindedness still exists in pockets even 50 years later but to a much lesser extent since there are more white collar jobs coming in from other parts of the country and world (and they bring a lot of traffic). There has always been a homeless problem downtown, but the current a "hipster revitalization" is making things better, similar to Triangle cities like Durham. One very major difference between the Triangle and the Triad is that each Triangle city has a major, nationally ranked University in the center of town. The neighborhoods around those schools provide a very diverse, mostly educated group of people that make interesting neighbors and give greater stability to the core of the cities. They also comprise a creative and entrepreneurial class that is fun to be around. Winston Salem just isn't at the same stage of redevelopment, and I think the fact that WFU is out in the older 'burbs is one of the reasons why. Bottom line: if you want to live in a low cost area that is just starting to figure out how to reinvent itself, go for it.
Welcome to City-Data! Not sure if you noticed or not, but this thread was started in 2006 and last posted on in 2009...the questions asked then and the reality now are quite different.

That said, I think you're being a bit too harsh on the Twin Cities. The reality is that W-S had far less racial strife than many other cities, due to the progressive influence of the Moravian culture that imbued the city, as well as a large African-American middle class, created largely by the quality jobs that Reynolds offered to both blacks and whites. Wachovia Bank, Piedmont Airlines and other companies provided lots of white collar jobs.

W-S had the first Arts Council in the country. Museums like MESDA, SECCA, Reynolda House aren't signs of a city that was small minded and inward looking.

I don't know what the distance from downtown and the universities has to do with anything, (and by the way, NCSU is 3 miles from downtown Raleigh and WFU is 4 miles from downtown W-S...no real difference) but I do know you can thank Research Triangle Park for the Triangle's growth and rise as a center of technology, entrepreneurism and creativity.

W-S has made great strides in the past 20 years to revitalize downtown, encourage entrepreneurs and the creative class, build up an urban research park and generally improve the City. Its done a great job and deserves lots of credit.

Last edited by BC1960; 07-13-2017 at 10:45 AM..

Old 07-13-2017, 11:29 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,523,592 times
I am having a hard time coming up with a single city of any size that hasn't undergone massive changes in the last 50 years. Heck, Winston-Salem has undergone massive changes since this thread started. And WFU has been a big driver of those changes, leading the effort in the Innovation Quarter and attracting all sorts of people to the community both through the university and the medical center.

I'd also mention that we're all a little harder on the towns we're from than an outsider might be. Goodness knows I don't plan on relocating to my hometown, and I probably don't give it a fair shake.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:06 PM

6 posts, read 2,717 times
Default WinstonSalem

This is in response to the lady that said she and her family are thinking about moving to WinstonSalem area but, didnít know much about it. I donít want to be negative but I was in Winston Salem for one year and 8 months and I hated it. There were no jobs unless you worked for BB&T bank or baptist hospital. Itís super small and what came along with stat was narrow minded people. There was nothing to do but go for nature walks. The beach is 3 hours away and so is the mountains. I just didnít like it. They treated you differently if your from somewhere other than the south. They feel so intimidated by people from other places. I just didnít have time for that. Now I do like Charottle and you can find some nice spots in Charottle. Thatís just my opinion

Old 10-21-2018, 07:30 PM

421 posts, read 293,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila greer View Post
This is in response to the lady that said she and her family are thinking about moving to WinstonSalem area but, didn’t know much about it. I don’t want to be negative but I was in Winston Salem for one year and 8 months and I hated it. There were no jobs unless you worked for BB&T bank or baptist hospital. It’s super small and what came along with stat was narrow minded people. There was nothing to do but go for nature walks. The beach is 3 hours away and so is the mountains. I just didn’t like it. They treated you differently if your from somewhere other than the south. They feel so intimidated by people from other places. I just didn’t have time for that. Now I do like Charottle and you can find some nice spots in Charottle. That’s just my opinion
I've lived in the Triad for two years and I haven't gotten that impression at all. I wouldn't say that there are a ton of jobs in the area, but it isn't like there's nothing to be found either.

The mountains are also much closer than 3 hours away. More like AN hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point