U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 07:20 AM

79 posts, read 53,247 times

Advertisements

Where do you live now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila greer View Post
This is in response to the lady that said she and her family are thinking about moving to WinstonSalem area but, didnít know much about it. I donít want to be negative but I was in Winston Salem for one year and 8 months and I hated it. There were no jobs unless you worked for BB&T bank or baptist hospital. Itís super small and what came along with stat was narrow minded people. There was nothing to do but go for nature walks. The beach is 3 hours away and so is the mountains. I just didnít like it. They treated you differently if your from somewhere other than the south. They feel so intimidated by people from other places. I just didnít have time for that. Now I do like Charottle and you can find some nice spots in Charottle. Thatís just my opinion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 09:29 AM

552 posts, read 309,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS View Post
The crime rate in Raleigh is about the same as in Greensboro if you look at the crime index on the city-data.com city summaries. Also, Raleigh isn't that much larger than GSO - the Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point area ("Triad") actually has a larger population than the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area ("Triangle").

Again, almost all of the crime problems in GSO are limited to the "bad side" of town, and I honestly don't have any need to go on that side of town. Unlike some larger cities, we don't have a gang problem where the crime spills out into other parts of the city. I read crime reports every week in a small weekly newspaper published in NW GSO and Guilford County, and most of the crime in this area of Greensboro and the county are DWI's, domestic problems, petty theft - virtually no violent crime our house break-ins. It is probably similar in W-S from what I've gathered.

North High Point is a formerly rural area that is now suburbs (although there is still open space in many areas), but High Point "proper" has a very high crime rate.

The schools in the Triad are hit-or-miss depending on where you live. It's often a common sense decision - the worst schools are on the bad side of town; the better schools aren't on the bad side of town. The only exception is north High Point, where the school Board is redistricting the area and shipping kids to one of the poorly-rated inner-city HP schools -- this has been a controversy for a few years. The Board hasn't done that with GSO, however. One probelm with the schools - as is the case throughout NC from what I've seen - is overcrowding.

The Triad as a whole is extremely family-friendly. My wife is a stay-at-home mom, and our 5-yr-old daughter will start kindergarten in a few months. There is a stay-at-home mom's network in GSO that she joined shortly after our child was born, and she is still very good friends with a few of the people that were part of her small group.

Our daughter has been enrolled in a "mother's morning out" preshool program offered at a local church - these are very popular here - she goes 3 days a week from 9:00 - 1:00. Other activities are the GSO Children's Museum, GSO Science Center, numerous parks and playgrounds, the NC Zoo (a large zoo that is only 45 minutes away), plays, etc. W-S also has a Children's museum and Science Center. Old Salem is also a neat place to walk around.

GSO has a very good reputation as being family-friendly -- that is a common theme that I've heard from transplants to the area.
Are you basing your statements on facts, or emotion?

Here are the current CSA populations of each metro:

#29 Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC Combined Statistical Area 2,199,459

#33 Greensboro–Winston-Salem–High Point, NC Combined Statistical Area 1,663,532

So exactly how is the Triad bigger in population than the Triangle? Don't think that was the case in 2006, but it's definitely not the case in 2018.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:15 AM

4,580 posts, read 4,395,902 times
20 years ago or so the Triad population was larger than the Triangle. Explosive growth in the Triangle is the cause of the Triangle surpassing the Triad. The Triad has been stuck at 1.6 million for at least the past 20 years. As far as Greensboro and Winston-Salem. They have different vibes. Crime rate is slightly lower in Greensboro but both cities are relatively safe compared to larger urban cities such as Atlanta or Baltimore. Most serious crimes in the Triad involving murder are drug related and sometimes it involves gangs. In Baltimore or Chicago there is a fear just walking out your door.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:01 AM

29,881 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Are you basing your statements on facts, or emotion?

Here are the current CSA populations of each metro:

#29 Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC Combined Statistical Area 2,199,459

#33 GreensboroĖWinston-SalemĖHigh Point, NC Combined Statistical Area 1,663,532

So exactly how is the Triad bigger in population than the Triangle? Don't think that was the case in 2006, but it's definitely not the case in 2018.
They were probably going by the official 2000 stats, in which case the Triad was still bigger. The Triangle inched past the Triad by a few thousand in 2005 according to the annual estimates. In either case, the post you're responding to is 12 years old and a lot has changed since then.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:07 AM

29,881 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
20 years ago or so the Triad population was larger than the Triangle. Explosive growth in the Triangle is the cause of the Triangle surpassing the Triad. The Triad has been stuck at 1.6 million for at least the past 20 years. As far as Greensboro and Winston-Salem. They have different vibes. Crime rate is slightly lower in Greensboro but both cities are relatively safe compared to larger urban cities such as Atlanta or Baltimore. Most serious crimes in the Triad involving murder are drug related and sometimes it involves gangs. In Baltimore or Chicago there is a fear just walking out your door.
That totally depends on where you live in each city. Most of Chicago is relatively safe. Baltimore is a bit of a different story but there are several neighborhoods in the city where you need not have fear "just walking out your door."

Old 10-23-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That totally depends on where you live in each city. Most of Chicago is relatively safe. Baltimore is a bit of a different story but there are several neighborhoods in the city where you need not have fear "just walking out your door."
I've spent a lot of time in Chicago and most areas of the city are very safe. On the other hand, some areas in the south and western regions are the most unsafe places in the country.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:50 AM

939 posts, read 502,893 times
I think Greensboro had the highest murder rate of all the large cities in NC last year.

I think WS was somewhere middle of the pack

Old 10-23-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
I think Greensboro had the highest murder rate of all the large cities in NC last year.

I think WS was somewhere middle of the pack
I think that many people in Greensboro are in denial about crime in that city. All you have to do is read the local paper and there is some sort of violent crime reported on almost a daily basis at this point.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:00 PM

939 posts, read 502,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
I think that many people in Greensboro are in denial about crime in that city. All you have to do is read the local paper and there is some sort of violent crime reported on almost a daily basis at this point.
It's still not anywhere near the notoriously high crime rate cities throughout the country but something to keep an eye on as crime seems to be on the rise lately.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
It's still not anywhere near the notoriously high crime rate cities throughout the country but something to keep an eye on as crime seems to be on the rise lately.
For the country, no, but for a southern state like NC and in a city with the demographics of Greensboro it should definitely raise eyebrows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point