U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 08:46 AM

25 posts, read 18,927 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to the Greensboro area in a couple months and while trying to find a rental in an area with great schools is starting to be a frustrating matter I thought I would ask you all about the schools and rely less on greatschools.org. So how are the schools in Mcleansville and Brown Summit? Brightwood is ranked 2 out of 10 is it really that bad? How are the schools in Jamestown? What about Millis Road Elementary? O Alamance?

Any information or direction for me to look would be greatly appreciated. My kids and their education is my top priority when deciding on an area for us to move. My daughter who will be in 5th grade in the 2017-2018 school year is currently in an accelerated school with traditional curriculum here in Arizona. Do schools in the area use common core?

Again thank you for any information to help me have more direction in securing a place for us. I am really all over the place at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 07:08 PM

55 posts, read 35,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsCollins View Post
My family and I are moving to the Greensboro area in a couple months and while trying to find a rental in an area with great schools is starting to be a frustrating matter I thought I would ask you all about the schools and rely less on greatschools.org. So how are the schools in Mcleansville and Brown Summit? Brightwood is ranked 2 out of 10 is it really that bad? How are the schools in Jamestown? What about Millis Road Elementary? O Alamance?

Any information or direction for me to look would be greatly appreciated. My kids and their education is my top priority when deciding on an area for us to move. My daughter who will be in 5th grade in the 2017-2018 school year is currently in an accelerated school with traditional curriculum here in Arizona. Do schools in the area use common core?

Again thank you for any information to help me have more direction in securing a place for us. I am really all over the place at this point.

Hello Mrs. Collins,

Sorry I don't have any feedback for you but please know you aren't the only one feeling overwhelmed and frustrated. I am in the same situation, my husband is relocating for work in Greensboro but I won't be moving until the summer of 2018.

My son will be in 10 grade by then and I'm looking for a good HS school. I have read through several forums that schools on the west part of Greensboro are best and the schools on the east side is not the best, hence the poor school ratings. I'm also trying to decide if we should rent or buy. I live in New York and I've always lived in an apt, so buying a home is all new to us.

I will be following this thread and I hope you get some good feedback.

Good luck!!

Old 05-03-2017, 09:36 PM

3 posts, read 2,277 times
Good HIgh schools. Southwest, northwest, northern, grimsley, page and western. Consequently the elementary and middle schools that feed them are good. My kids went to Southwest. Two got into Chapel Hill and one to Duke.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:42 AM

103 posts, read 193,830 times
I am a HS teacher in the GCS system (20 years). Look at high schools when deciding where to live. While I realize that lines can always be redrawn, that's where to start. I would look at Northern, Northwest, Southwest, Ragsdale, Southern Guilford. To answer your question, Millis Road is a wonderful elementary school and Jamestown is a great community to live in. There are many magnet schools in th county also. However, there is no guarantee your child can get in, and in the current climate they may not be around too much longer.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
I am a HS teacher in the GCS system (20 years). Look at high schools when deciding where to live. While I realize that lines can always be redrawn, that's where to start. I would look at Northern, Northwest, Southwest, Ragsdale, Southern Guilford. To answer your question, Millis Road is a wonderful elementary school and Jamestown is a great community to live in. There are many magnet schools in th county also. However, there is no guarantee your child can get in, and in the current climate they may not be around too much longer.
Hello,

I'm moving to GB too and I have been looking for schools 1st. So I can narrow down where to live.
Are you saying even with Zone schools kids are not guarantee to get in? How would that work out?

Old 05-16-2017, 09:49 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,429,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess69 View Post
Hello,

I'm moving to GB too and I have been looking for schools 1st. So I can narrow down where to live.
Are you saying even with Zone schools kids are not guarantee to get in? How would that work out?
No, I think the poster is saying there is no guarantee of admission to a magnet school, not your assigned school. Greensboro is not growing so rapidly that assigned schools are full, although that is happening in places like Cary.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
No, I think the poster is saying there is no guarantee of admission to a magnet school, not your assigned school. Greensboro is not growing so rapidly that assigned schools are full, although that is happening in places like Cary.

Oh!! Ok got it. Thank you for claritying that for me.

So if a zone is full, they wouldn't deny student?

Old 05-16-2017, 11:10 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,429,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess69 View Post
Oh!! Ok got it. Thank you for claritying that for me.

So if a zone is full, they wouldn't deny student?
I'm not aware of any school in Guilford County denying enrollment to student who lives in the attendance zone based on the school being full. You might want to call GCS and confirm that.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I'm not aware of any school in Guilford County denying enrollment to student who lives in the attendance zone based on the school being full. You might want to call GCS and confirm that.
Thank you ! I will def give them a call

Old 05-18-2017, 07:07 AM

25 posts, read 18,927 times
Skimbro Thank you Millis has been coming up for me in my search lately I am glad to get confirmation it's a good school.
Jess69 I hope you are having luck with your search and your plans to move are coming along with minimal stress.
Have a great day y'all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or