Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2014, 07:49 PM

6,152 posts, read 7,157,148 times

Advertisements

Piedmont Triad International Airport in Greensboro will get a multi million makeover. Out with the 1980s interior design and in with a 21st century modern look. I have been wanting to see this happen for years. The PTI terminal is an embarrassment to the Triad with its 1980s interior design. The ceiling in the terminal will be raised 8 feet.

Modern look, metallic skin arches coming to PTI terminal ceiling - Greensboro - Triad Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 08:43 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,511,776 times
This is badly needed but so is air traffic.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:01 PM

The "new" terminal opened in 1982 and still looks pretty much the same today. Before 1987 it was called "Greensboro – High Point – Winston-Salem Regional Airport" and became an international airport in 1987. The terminal is very outdated today and doesn't look as nice as RDU and Charlotte Douglas airport terminals. I can't wait for the new look. But you right, more air traffic is needed to. Unfortunately the Triad doesn't have an active business/corporate climate like the Charlotte and Raleigh areas and the fact that both those airports are less than a hundred miles from PTI can be a problem.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:12 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,615,359 times
I love flying out of PTI; it's so much easier to navigate. Norfolk VA is another nice, smaller airport. I had a flight out of PTI not long ago for a job interview. When I got to the security checkpoint, there were NO other people waiting - the TSA employee was just sitting back in his chair, waiting for someone to come through the "line."

But this past summer, we had a flight from PTI, connecting at CLT, flying internationally. Got a call early in the a.m. that the flight was cancelled because they didn't have a flight crew available. Apparently this is not all that uncommon. We drove to CLT to get our flight, which isn't a bad drive but certainly more of hassle to deal with parking, security, etc.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:02 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,511,776 times
What little flying I do is out of PTI because when I come home the last thing I want to do is drive another 1.5 hours.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:59 PM

58 posts, read 98,367 times
Great to hear, PTI is so convenient easy to get in and out of compared with the larger airports I'm used to

Old 11-09-2014, 05:55 PM

84 posts, read 216,228 times
Hopefully this will be in time to save weather observing in Greensboro- it's likely to get chopped next year (this means the hourly weather reports will be replaced with inaccurate machines)

Air Traffic at PTI is increasing, but mostly due to FedEx flights.
Loss of observing services might also cause FedEx to scale back expansion due to increased safety risk.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:34 PM

ACC Cafe to open at PTI. Great concept, wrong location.....an idea I had for downtown 15 years ago. An ACC Cafe along with a sports bar belongs downtown preferably near the ballpark and hotels. My idea included an ACC Hall of Fame downtown. Instead it was built at the colieum. More visitors would check it out if it had been built downtown. I also wasn't aware that the airport has a PGA Tour Grill. Its another theme restaurant similar to ESPN Zone or NASCAR Cafe that belongs downtown. Apparently all the PGA Tour grills are located at airports. Other PGA Tour restaurants are located in Boston, San Diego, Las Vegas, Honolulu, El Paso, Jacksonville and Savannah.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/new...ng-at-pti.html

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-02-2017 at 11:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point