U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-07-2017, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,584 posts, read 4,402,977 times
Reputation: 1488

Advertisements

The only example of Egyptian Rivival architecture in Greensboro and one of the few in the state will be demolished for a parking lot. The Masonic Lodge owns the building and says its too expensive to restore. It was designed by Charles Hartmann, the same architect who designed the Jefferson Standard Building. It was also his only example of Egyptian Rivival. What a terrible loss and a parking lot is replacing it. Hopefully funds will come from somewhere to help restore it. Dont know if its on the national historical register but if so there should be laws to ban the demolition of such buildings even if its privately own. Just like you cant change the character of your home if you live in a historical district. If you can't afford to fix it, sell it.

Unique downtown structure slated for demolition | Local News | greensboro.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-07-2017, 07:27 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,309,010 times
Reputation: 8896
Guess I need to hike over and get some good shots before it's hauled away. Not that attractive of a building overall, but it does have some nice detail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2017, 01:45 PM
 
29,944 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Reputation: 18502
Would be nice if it could be saved and redeveloped somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2017, 02:39 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,982 posts, read 27,269,275 times
Reputation: 9008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Would be nice if it could be saved and redeveloped somehow.
What a shame.

They should contact developers in Philadelphia to see if any would have an interest in buying it to restore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2017, 04:48 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,309,010 times
Reputation: 8896
On the way to the PO this morning I stopped and checked out the building. There is nothing great about it, exterior wise, other than some detail on the front. The rest of it is just plain, old, run of the mill red brick. However, I'm not opposed to restoration rather than demolition. Beats being a parking lot which, IMO, the church is just looking for an income generator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2017, 06:55 AM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,440,860 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The only example of Egyptian Rivival architecture in Greensboro and one of the few in the state will be demolished for a parking lot. The Masonic Lodge owns the building and says its too expensive to restore. It was designed by Charles Hartmann, the same architect who designed the Jefferson Standard Building. It was also his only example of Egyptian Rivival. What a terrible loss and a parking lot is replacing it. Hopefully funds will come from somewhere to help restore it. Dont know if its on the national historical register but if so there should be laws to ban the demolition of such buildings even if its privately own. Just like you cant change the character of your home if you live in a historical district. If you can't afford to fix it, sell it.
National Register offers no protection from demolition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2017, 09:58 AM
 
Location: North Greensboro
823 posts, read 1,018,387 times
Reputation: 307
Isn't this going to be one of the new parking decks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2017, 10:06 AM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,440,860 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
Isn't this going to be one of the new parking decks?
No. This building is located at 427 W. Friendly Ave. The decks are being built inside the "core" of downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2017, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,584 posts, read 4,402,977 times
Reputation: 1488
However one building is being demolished for the Westin deck. The building looks like it was built sometime in the mid 20th century. A vaping business currently occupys it. Its not architectural significant but does have some nice detail above the entrance on Davie St. In some cases developers have built around historic buildings instead of demolishing them. That was the case with old main fire staion on N Greene St. The Marriott Hotel was built around it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2017, 11:10 AM
 
29,944 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Reputation: 18502
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
On the way to the PO this morning I stopped and checked out the building. There is nothing great about it, exterior wise, other than some detail on the front. The rest of it is just plain, old, run of the mill red brick. However, I'm not opposed to restoration rather than demolition. Beats being a parking lot which, IMO, the church is just looking for an income generator.
Perhaps at least the facade could be saved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top