U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to North Carolina: Greensboro, family, military, gso.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:00 PM

33 posts, read 147,035 times

Advertisements

I am curious to hear from some of you who have moved to this area and have had enough time to form a strong understanding and opinion of the triad. I have a great job opportunity in the area I think would pay well and give a great sense of personal satisfaction, but I now face a problem I have never experienced.

I am accustomed to moving after growing up in a military family. I get bored quickly and always feel the need to see or do more. I never liked living in the area in which I currently reside. Now is a chance to change everything, so what is the problem you ask?

I am hesitant to move for the first time in my life. My work has taken me to Greensboro and the surrounding areas before and I really enjoyed my stay in town. Almost everything, with a few exceptions is better in the triad than is here. Why is it such a problem to commit to this move? The only thing I can think of is that my family and I have buried our roots deep into the bedrock of this town. We have stable jobs, our kids were born here and we bought a home we really like.

I really want to work in the triad but it is not the place I look and say “WOW! I have never seen a better place to settle down with my family.” Unfortunately, the places I would love that much to live would not be an ideal choice for me to take my family.

Have any of you gone through the same situation? I would love to hear from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 05:21 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,620,612 times
i think that is your iinstincts telling you not to move. if you feel it wont be a good move for your family, then dont do something you may regret. you say you love your home etc. maybe you will find a good oprotunity where you are now or someplace even better.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:43 PM

2,031 posts, read 6,139,876 times
Default Making a Move

Yes I have gone through many of those issues. Today its almost commonplace for people to move away from their hometowns to find better opportunites, etc. I live about 2 hrs from the triad but I left this region and moved to Wash DC for a better career. I enjoyed DC when I was younger since it seemed to offer so much but now I do not regret moving back to this region. I guess it depends on one's stage of life. I don't know if you are from the South, Northeast, West, etc but believe me there are cultural differences.
We tend to be a lot more conservative in the South, our social interactions tend to revolve more around family, church, etc. In other words, the pace of life is much slower and less sophisticated than in other parts of the U.S.
In my opinion, Greensboro & the Triad is a great place to move and raise a family. You are not far from Myrtle Beach, the ski resorts, the Blue Ridge Pkwy
and other fun places. My suggestion is to give it some thought. If you've been to Greensboro and liked it then it sounds like it would be a good fit.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:45 AM

28 posts, read 152,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringgold View Post
I am curious to hear from some of you who have moved to this area and have had enough time to form a strong understanding and opinion of the triad. I have a great job opportunity in the area I think would pay well and give a great sense of personal satisfaction, but I now face a problem I have never experienced.

I am accustomed to moving after growing up in a military family. I get bored quickly and always feel the need to see or do more. I never liked living in the area in which I currently reside. Now is a chance to change everything, so what is the problem you ask?

I am hesitant to move for the first time in my life. My work has taken me to Greensboro and the surrounding areas before and I really enjoyed my stay in town. Almost everything, with a few exceptions is better in the triad than is here. Why is it such a problem to commit to this move? The only thing I can think of is that my family and I have buried our roots deep into the bedrock of this town. We have stable jobs, our kids were born here and we bought a home we really like.

I really want to work in the triad but it is not the place I look and say “WOW! I have never seen a better place to settle down with my family.” Unfortunately, the places I would love that much to live would not be an ideal choice for me to take my family.

Have any of you gone through the same situation? I would love to hear from you.
Ringgold : Honestly, I don't necessarily agree with the feedback above "your instincts are telling you to not move..." . I tend to believe more that it's the person, not the place, that makes you happy.

I too grew up in a military family,so I understand the "angst" you get every year to "do something" ... it's imbedded in us, and will never go away...but it can be addressed, even in Greensboro.

I live in South Florida (loving it) but I do miss GSo and may be back up there permanently someday. GSO is a fair sized city that still has a small-town feel. There is plenty to do and see in and around GSO.

The Zoo
Gold Tournaments
The Beach (3 to 4 hours drive)
The Mountains (1 hour drive)
The Furniture Market (1/2 hour drive)
Old Salem (1/2 hour)
Plenty of Shopping
Home Shows
Boat Shows
Car Shows
Art Shows
Bookstores ( love em)
Concerts, both indoor and outdoor
Downtown Park entertainers
Colleges
Parks galore
Nice Neighborhoods
TREES!! God I miss trees!!
Good Restaurants everywhere!
Coffee shops (I love coffee)
Bike Trails
Jogging Parks
Decent Hospitals
Traffic that's not quite as bad as other large cities

There's plenty for you and your family to do , you just have to GET OUT THERE and look for it, it won't look for you. LOL..

Best of luck on your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point