U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-31-2017, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,579 posts, read 4,395,902 times
Reputation: 1488

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
I'm really interested to see what's going to happen with Arch Capital/United Guaranty. Its been six months or so and I haven't seen a whole lot of news. However, they seem to be advertising for higher level executive jobs here. Perhaps once those are filled, we'll hear the announcements about other jobs becoming available. Perhaps it will coincide with the announcement of Project 561 (or perhaps a slightly scaled down version of it)?
Arch Capital would likely be on the top of Roy Carroll's list for an anchor tenant for project 561. The nation's largest mortgage insurance company deserves a new signature tower for its corporate headquarters. I still think the Aloft project across the street from the ballpark is Project 561. The number of floors appears to be the same and the Aloft mixed use tower will sit on an 8 story deck just like what is proposed for Project 561 not to mention a hotel is suppose to be a part it. If Im correct, Project 561 is likely going to happen because the Aloft and the deck is moving forward. If its not, Roy Carroll is planning for two 28 story towers. Having an upscale hotel in a corporate tower is certainly a good idea. Arch Capital executives from around the country or executives from whoever is the corporate tenant could stay right at the Aloft in the same building while they are in town on business.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-31-2017 at 10:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2017, 10:21 AM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,426,379 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Arch Capital would likely be on the top of Roy Carroll's list for an anchor tenant for project 561. The nation's largest mortgage insurance company deserves a new signature tower for its corporate headquarters. I still think the Aloft project across the street from the ballpark is Project 561. The number of floors appears to be the same and the Aloft mixed use tower will sit on an 8 story deck just like what is proposed for Project 561.
There's been no evidence that Arch Capital is bringing any jobs to G'boro. Its most likely simply a paper transaction. In fact, the press release last year said Arch "anticipates maintaining a significant presence in North Carolina". It said nothing about expanding or moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2017, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
1,255 posts, read 2,103,476 times
Reputation: 624
I'm surprised at only a 20% projected increase in 30 years. I'm not complaining since I don't want the Triad to get as crowded as the two larger metros in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2017, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,579 posts, read 4,395,902 times
Reputation: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
There's been no evidence that Arch Capital is bringing any jobs to G'boro. Its most likely simply a paper transaction. In fact, the press release last year said Arch "anticipates maintaining a significant presence in North Carolina". It said nothing about expanding or moving.
Actually the press did say they are relocating their headquarters to Greensboro. Its more than a paper transaction and they aren't going to have a duel headquarters. Arch Capital is currently not even based in the United States. Its based in Bermuda and the article also states it will be the largest mortgage insurance company in the United States.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...4XEokBwNmHsWag
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2017, 12:11 PM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,426,379 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Actually the press did say they are relocating their headquarters to Greensboro. Its more than a paper transaction and they aren't going to have a duel headquarters

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...4XEokBwNmHsWag
Umm, lets see...

1. I never said Arch wasn't shifting its headquarters to G'boro.
2. I never said they would have duel (sic) headquarters.
3. Nothing in that very brief article says anything about jobs being moved to G'boro. Nor has any subsequent information come to light in the 10 months since the sale of United Guaranty was announced.

A company can have its corporate headquarters located in a city without any significant investment or employment being located there. In this case, Arch can file paperwork establishing Greensboro as its "headquarters", while keeping virtually all its corporate staff in their current location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2017, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,579 posts, read 4,395,902 times
Reputation: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Umm, lets see...

1. I never said Arch wasn't shifting its headquarters to G'boro.
2. I never said they would have duel (sic) headquarters.
3. Nothing in that very brief article says anything about jobs being moved to G'boro. Nor has any subsequent information come to light in the 10 months since the sale of United Guaranty was announced.

A company can have its corporate headquarters located in a city without any significant investment or employment being located there. In this case, Arch can file paperwork establishing Greensboro as its "headquarters", while keeping virtually all its corporate staff in their current location.
I did a simple search and found that Arch Capital is hiring for positions in Greensboro, the job postings are from this month. So it looks like they just started posting positions. Companies typically consolidate operations particularly after acquisitions. I expect a number of jobs in Bermuda will be moved to Greensboro

Btw u did say they said nothing about relocating.

" there's been no evidence that Arch Capital is bringing any jobs to G'boro. Its most likely simply a paper transaction. In fact, the press release last year said Arch "anticipates maintaining a significant presence in North Carolina". It said nothing about expanding or moving."

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-31-2017 at 12:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2017, 12:18 PM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,426,379 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I did a simple search and found that Arch Capital is hiring for positions in Greensboro. Companies typically consolidate operations particularly after acquisitions.
I'm sure AIG was hiring before the sale, too. That means nothing.

There's no way a large, international company is going to move its full corporate headquarters to a city with an airport like Greensboro's.

Last edited by BC1960; 05-31-2017 at 01:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2017, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,579 posts, read 4,395,902 times
Reputation: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I'm sure AIG was hiring before the sale, too. That means nothing.

There's no way a large, international company is going to move its full corporate headquarters to a city with an airport like Greensboro's.

Huh? I take that as sarcasm Greensboro is already home to a number of companies with international offices. One if them is a fortune 500 company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2017, 03:03 PM
 
29,874 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Reputation: 18427
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I'm sure AIG was hiring before the sale, too. That means nothing.

There's no way a large, international company is going to move its full corporate headquarters to a city with an airport like Greensboro's.
I'd say that if this were one of the largest F500 domestic companies. But seeing as though the company was based in Bermuda and Greensboro is already home to a few corporate headquarters, it doesn't seem far-fetched to me. Of course, that doesn't mean every single job affiliated with the company is coming to Greensboro as that isn't what usually happen in these cases but I can see a few hundred key positions relocating to Greensboro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2017, 08:24 PM
 
421 posts, read 292,681 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I'm sure AIG was hiring before the sale, too. That means nothing.

There's no way a large, international company is going to move its full corporate headquarters to a city with an airport like Greensboro's.
There are plenty of large companies with large international presences that are headquartered in medium sized cities with small airports. Heck, Smithfield Foods is headquartered in Smithfield, VA (about 45 minutes from Norfolk Airport and an hour from Richmond's). Norfolk Southern is based in... you guessed it, Norfolk (and was based in Roanoke for a couple decades). Capital One... headquartered in Richmond (though I'll conceed their larger scale operations are in Tyson's Corner... but they still have a hefty presence in Richmond).

#1 in the Fortune 500.... HQed in Bentonville, Arkansas.

For what it's worth, no I don't expect this company to bring thousands upon thousands of high paying jobs to the Triad. But I seriously doubt you're going to see simply a paper transaction either. Right now they're hiring for more executive leadership positions. Once those are in place, I would guess you'll start seeing more hiring at the next levels down. The timing is actually working out quite conveniently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top