U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 08:55 PM

239 posts, read 212,957 times

Advertisements

I think in 3-5yrs Greensboro and the triad will start to get noticed a lot because of the location, it's a better location then Charlotte and Raleigh. Reminds me of how Columbia md used to be 15yrs ago now it's a red hot spot in between Baltimore and dc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 05:59 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,426,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Huh? I take that as sarcasm Greensboro is already home to a number of companies with international offices. One if them is a fortune 500 company.
No sarcasm at all. I'm well aware of the companies that call G'boro home, but virtually all of them are either "home grown", or are the result of mergers and acquisitions. Major companies are not moving headquarters to places like G'boro today.

Look at Aetna for example. They are looking to relocate their corporate headquarters out of Hartford, CT. Boston and NYC are rumored to be the frontrunners. Greensboro, despite its history as an insurance hub (The Hartford of the South, at one time) wasn't even considered.

Or look at Metlife, which moved its retail insurance headquarters and operations from NYC to Charlotte. Again, Greensboro wasn't even in the running.

Arch may move a few jobs to G'boro, and their overall employment may increase, but they won't be moving all the C-level jobs and hundreds of support staff to G'boro.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpe16 View Post
I think in 3-5yrs Greensboro and the triad will start to get noticed a lot because of the location, it's a better location then Charlotte and Raleigh. Reminds me of how Columbia md used to be 15yrs ago now it's a red hot spot in between Baltimore and dc
Better location in what way? Better location for what? Better location for whom?

Old 06-01-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
There are plenty of large companies with large international presences that are headquartered in medium sized cities with small airports. Heck, Smithfield Foods is headquartered in Smithfield, VA (about 45 minutes from Norfolk Airport and an hour from Richmond's). Norfolk Southern is based in... you guessed it, Norfolk (and was based in Roanoke for a couple decades). Capital One... headquartered in Richmond (though I'll conceed their larger scale operations are in Tyson's Corner... but they still have a hefty presence in Richmond).

#1 in the Fortune 500.... HQed in Bentonville, Arkansas.

For what it's worth, no I don't expect this company to bring thousands upon thousands of high paying jobs to the Triad. But I seriously doubt you're going to see simply a paper transaction either. Right now they're hiring for more executive leadership positions. Once those are in place, I would guess you'll start seeing more hiring at the next levels down. The timing is actually working out quite conveniently.
Yes, but those companies didn't recently relocate to those locations. Most grew organically from small companies in those locations. And when companies relocate their headquarters, they move to larger cities with better talent and transportation. Look at Aetna, which recently announced plans to leave its long time home in Hartford, CT. They are going to either Boston or NYC, not a medium sized city.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:08 AM

239 posts, read 212,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Better location in what way? Better location for what? Better location for whom?
Better location as in centrally located in the middle of a very large state top 10 in size and also with in a hour of almost 7milliom people. Charlotte can't say that niether can raliegh. Being in the middle has its advantages for big companies and family looking to relocate.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Better location as in centrally located in the middle of a very large state top 10 in size and also with in a hour of almost 7milliom people. Charlotte can't say that niether can raliegh. Being in the middle has its advantages for big companies and family looking to relocate.
In economic development terms, thats completely irrelevant. Everywhere is in the middle of something.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:51 AM

29,874 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
No sarcasm at all. I'm well aware of the companies that call G'boro home, but virtually all of them are either "home grown", or are the result of mergers and acquisitions. Major companies are not moving headquarters to places like G'boro today.

Look at Aetna for example. They are looking to relocate their corporate headquarters out of Hartford, CT. Boston and NYC are rumored to be the frontrunners. Greensboro, despite its history as an insurance hub (The Hartford of the South, at one time) wasn't even considered.

Or look at Metlife, which moved its retail insurance headquarters and operations from NYC to Charlotte. Again, Greensboro wasn't even in the running.

Arch may move a few jobs to G'boro, and their overall employment may increase, but they won't be moving all the C-level jobs and hundreds of support staff to G'boro.
And that is what is happening with Arch. Again, I think it's entirely feasible that they will move a couple hundred key positions to Greensboro.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And that is what is happening with Arch. Again, I think it's entirely feasible that they will move a couple hundred key positions to Greensboro.
By mergers and acquisitions, I meant cases like Lincoln Financial acquiring Jeff-Pilot. There's been no great increase in jobs in G'boro as a result of that, for example.

We'll see what happens with Arch. I don't know that I'd use the feasible...more like possible. It would be great if it happens, but there have been no signs of it after almost a year.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:07 AM

666 posts, read 578,416 times
Quote:
Charlotte is centrally located to the Carolinas which has a population of 15 million with 9 million of that within the hour or so range. So how exactly is the Triad a better location?

Old 06-01-2017, 12:04 PM

4,579 posts, read 4,393,634 times
Greensboro is pretty much between Charlotte and Raleigh and its almost exactly midway between Atlanta and Washington DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or