U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 07:54 PM

239 posts, read 212,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
You're hilarious! Keep the yucks coming, loser. I'm saying you don't know what the h**l you're talking about, and you make ridiculous claims that you can't back up. Virtually everything you have posted on here has been proven wrong, and yet you continue to attack and (attempt) to belittle me. Give up, dude, its over. Stop digging.
Lol you did the digging for me I just used your own site against you then you had to scramble and make up info to make it seem like you were right. But it's been over I won 3 days ago I was just having fun with you good day sir or ma'am
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 04:13 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,426,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpe16 View Post
Lol you did the digging for me I just used your own site against you then you had to scramble and make up info to make it seem like you were right. But it's been over I won 3 days ago I was just having fun with you good day sir or ma'am
Its been a blast schooling you to no end. Too bad you can't man up and admit you're wrong. Maybe one day you'll grow up and move out of your mom's basement. But I doubt it. Buh-bye!

Old 06-05-2017, 05:36 AM

239 posts, read 212,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Its been a blast schooling you to no end. Too bad you can't man up and admit you're wrong. Maybe one day you'll grow up and move out of your mom's basement. But I doubt it. Buh-bye!
There you go with the alternative facts again smh i wish I could move back in with my parents and save 8,000 a month that would be great!!!!

Old 09-21-2018, 08:53 PM

4,579 posts, read 4,395,902 times
Looked at the current city data. Greensboro cracked 290,000 this year (290,222). This city is getting closer and closer to 300,000. If the GOP had not changed annexation laws, the city would have likely tried to annex 10,000 people into the city so Greensboro could have a population of 300,000 by 2020 for the next U.S. census. In 1998 Greensboro had a population of 198,000 but by the year 2000 the city's population jumped to 223,000.

By comparison, Durham has a population of 267,000 and Winston-Salem around 246,000. Durham is breathing down Greensboro's neck.

https://www.greensboro-nc.gov/depart...ion-statistics

Once a city cracks 400,000 with around 2 million in its MSA or CSA, it starts getting into the low end of the "major city" category. We have about 100,000 to go and at the "current" growth rate it would take about 20 years to get to 400,000. By that time Charlotte will have well over 1,000,000 people and Raleigh will likely have a population close to or at 800,000. Durham will have surpassed Greensboro (if current growth rates hold)

Some "major" cities are about equal in population to Greensboro but they have a much larger metro population. Pittsburgh for example has a population of 303,000. Some might but surprised to know that Birmingham, AL has only 212,000 people.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 09-21-2018 at 09:27 PM..

Old 09-21-2018, 11:34 PM

939 posts, read 502,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Looked at the current city data. Greensboro cracked 290,000 this year (290,222). This city is getting closer and closer to 300,000. If the GOP had not changed annexation laws, the city would have likely tried to annex 10,000 people into the city so Greensboro could have a population of 300,000 by 2020 for the next U.S. census. In 1998 Greensboro had a population of 198,000 but by the year 2000 the city's population jumped to 223,000.

By comparison, Durham has a population of 267,000 and Winston-Salem around 246,000. Durham is breathing down Greensboro's neck.

https://www.greensboro-nc.gov/depart...ion-statistics

Once a city cracks 400,000 with around 2 million in its MSA or CSA, it starts getting into the low end of the "major city" category. We have about 100,000 to go and at the "current" growth rate it would take about 20 years to get to 400,000. By that time Charlotte will have well over 1,000,000 people and Raleigh will likely have a population close to or at 800,000. Durham will have surpassed Greensboro (if current growth rates hold)

Some "major" cities are about equal in population to Greensboro but they have a much larger metro population. Pittsburgh for example has a population of 303,000. Some might but surprised to know that Birmingham, AL has only 212,000 people.
I always find stats and numbers like these so interesting. Looking at trends and what not....For example like you said, Greensboro is 290k people and Durham is 267k. Now I personally hate just looking at city populations because they usually are deceiving as to which city is actually larger or more influential. But by most metrics Greensboro is the defacto 3rd largest city in the state. But the GDP says Durham’s economy is the 3rd largest in the state. Grossing more then Greensboro at a figure of $43B vs $41B in 2017. Yet Greensboro’s economy apparently has grown significantly faster over the past 5 years at a rate of ~30% vs Durham’s ~16%. I can’t remember exactly. Yet now it’s been stated in another forum that apparently the census has added Granville Co. to Durham’s metro. (I can’t seem to find 100% proof of that but seems legit. Yet take with a grain of salt.) Which would make the MSA numbers even closer now at somewhere in the 700k for Greensboro and somewhere well into the 600k for Durham. Yet will Greensboro’s economy surpass Durham even though Durham will surpass it in population both in city and metro eventually?? None of it matters really and it’s all just random facts but it’s fun to ponder about for nerds like me I guess

Old 09-22-2018, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
I always find stats and numbers like these so interesting. Looking at trends and what not....For example like you said, Greensboro is 290k people and Durham is 267k. Now I personally hate just looking at city populations because they usually are deceiving as to which city is actually larger or more influential. But by most metrics Greensboro is the defacto 3rd largest city in the state. But the GDP says Durham’s economy is the 3rd largest in the state. Grossing more then Greensboro at a figure of $43B vs $41B in 2017. Yet Greensboro’s economy apparently has grown significantly faster over the past 5 years at a rate of ~30% vs Durham’s ~16%. I can’t remember exactly. Yet now it’s been stated in another forum that apparently the census has added Granville Co. to Durham’s metro. (I can’t seem to find 100% proof of that but seems legit. Yet take with a grain of salt.) Which would make the MSA numbers even closer now at somewhere in the 700k for Greensboro and somewhere well into the 600k for Durham. Yet will Greensboro’s economy surpass Durham even though Durham will surpass it in population both in city and metro eventually?? None of it matters really and it’s all just random facts but it’s fun to ponder about for nerds like me I guess
For the foreseeable future, I don't see Greensboro's economy surpassing Durham. I think Greensboro can make some gains. We're like the little engine that could. We're trying to get over that Hill. I do think Greensboro's growth rate will slightly increase over the next 10 years but make no mistake its going to be a long road to get to where Durham is today economically. To make gains in white collar jobs, the city needs to focus more on the insurance sector. The city already has that base but Greensboro needs to push the city in the direction of becoming a major insurance hub in the United States the way Charlotte is with banking. Greensboro has always been a manufacturing center as well so the city needs to try to attract more advanced hi tech manufacturing in electronics, automotive and aerospace. New innovation centers in the city could be associated with this kind of manufacturing.These are high paying jobs which translates to a faster growth rate and a higher median income in the city. I think these are the directions the city needs to go because it will never become a banking hub or a research hub like RTP.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 09-22-2018 at 04:25 AM..

Old 11-29-2018, 12:18 AM

304 posts, read 158,012 times
According to 2017 data:
50 mile radius:
G’bo 1.8 M
CLT. 2.7 M
100 mile radius
G’bo 7.6 M
CLT. 7.8 M

Also, a business would not want to be in G’bo and have access to The Triad, RDU and CLT airports when it could just be in CLT and have access to the CLT airport... 7th busiest in country, 700 daily flights to all major US cities and direct flights to over 30 foreign cities in all areas of the world but Asia. That Logisticstics makes no sense.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
According to 2017 data:
50 mile radius:
G’bo 1.8 M
CLT. 2.7 M
100 mile radius
G’bo 7.6 M
CLT. 7.8 M

Also, a business would not want to be in G’bo and have access to The Triad, RDU and CLT airports when it could just be in CLT and have access to the CLT airport... 7th busiest in country, 700 daily flights to all major US cities and direct flights to over 30 foreign cities in all areas of the world but Asia. That Logisticstics makes no sense.
It depends on the industry. Some industries don't require a city to have 700 daily flights. That might apply to many MAJOR corporate headquarters.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:04 PM

819 posts, read 1,009,600 times
Quote:
It depends on the industry. Some industries don't require a city to have 700 daily flights. That might apply to many MAJOR corporate headquarters.
for instance publix.

Old 12-01-2018, 05:31 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,426,379 times
Quote:
And yet, actual facts and data prove QC is correct, i.e, the number of corporate headquarters in Charlotte versus G'boro, especially ones that have relocated recently. Virtually all of G'boro's hq operations are old line, existing companies that have been there forever. Charlotte just picked up the hq for Honeywell, on the other hand.

As QC said, no company is going to locate in G'boro if they are planning on flying in and out of CLT. And there are virtualy no cpmpanies picking G'boro as a location for corporate hq relocations. You're arguing against obvious reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or