Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2017, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,600 times

Advertisements

I am looking to purchase a small, single-family home in the Greensboro or High Point area, and decided my budget is going to be about 60k, which I realize eliminates a lot of choice. This will not necessarily be a "forever home" (I plan to upgrade in a few years and possibly turn it into a rental property). I currently rent a house in Trinity which is nice, but that area is severely homogenous and far more removed from civilization than I would like. I am a female in my early 30s, have no children, am well educated, and a creative type. I have a car, but would like to be able to walk, ride bikes, and be close enough to at least Uber to nightlife areas. I've only lived in the area for about 9 months, most of which has been spent working out of town, so I don't have a good grip on what different areas are like other than the info I've received from some friends I've made from HP whom I feel may be slightly biased in the diversity department. Originally I am from rural NY, but have lived in several different areas/cities in the northeast.

I recently read some threads about where not to go in Greensboro, but they were from 7-8 years ago--they mentioned Summit Ave, E. Wendover, Phillips Ave, Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, E. Lee St., E. Market St., Florida St., Vandalia Rd., and Randleman Rd. were pretty bad (as in stay inside after dark).

Has there been any improvement in these areas, or in Greensboro neighborhoods as a whole?.. and what areas should I absolutely avoid in 2017, if different from these? And what about areas/neighborhoods/streets in High Point?

Suburbia seems soulless to me (not that 60k would put me there anyway ). I don't mind if a neighborhood looks rough/people don't have tons of money.. but I don't want to be terrified of coming home alone after dark, or constantly have my vehicle broken into, etc.

Thoughts, tips, suggestions?

Last edited by AJ213; 06-08-2017 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: Detail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 07:50 PM

239 posts, read 305,863 times
Are you looking for a house or townhome or condo?

Old 06-08-2017, 08:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,600 times
I'm looking for a house preferably, but may consider a townhome if I must.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:45 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ213 View Post
I'm looking for a house preferably, but may consider a townhome if I must.
For $175K, you won't have to settle on a townhome if you don't want to around here.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:04 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,371,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
For $175K, you won't have to settle on a townhome if you don't want to around here.
$175K? OP said her price range is $60K.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:14 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,371,181 times
Quote:
I am looking to purchase a small, single-family home in the Greensboro or High Point area, and decided my budget is going to be about 60k, which I realize eliminates a lot of choice. This will not necessarily be a "forever home" (I plan to upgrade in a few years and possibly turn it into a rental property). I currently rent a house in Trinity which is nice, but that area is severely homogenous and far more removed from civilization than I would like. I am a female in my early 30s, have no children, am well educated, and a creative type. I have a car, but would like to be able to walk, ride bikes, and be close enough to at least Uber to nightlife areas. I've only lived in the area for about 9 months, most of which has been spent working out of town, so I don't have a good grip on what different areas are like other than the info I've received from some friends I've made from HP whom I feel may be slightly biased in the diversity department. Originally I am from rural NY, but have lived in several different areas/cities in the northeast.

I recently read some threads about where not to go in Greensboro, but they were from 7-8 years ago--they mentioned Summit Ave, E. Wendover, Phillips Ave, Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, E. Lee St., E. Market St., Florida St., Vandalia Rd., and Randleman Rd. were pretty bad (as in stay inside after dark).

Has there been any improvement in these areas, or in Greensboro neighborhoods as a whole?.. and what areas should I absolutely avoid in 2017, if different from these? And what about areas/neighborhoods/streets in High Point?

Suburbia seems soulless to me (not that 60k would put me there anyway ). I don't mind if a neighborhood looks rough/people don't have tons of money.. but I don't want to be terrified of coming home alone after dark, or constantly have my vehicle broken into, etc.

Those are still areas that should be avoided. $60K is going to be very difficult. In Greensboro, try looking on the edges of the Fisher Park neighborhood (Realtor.com shows 2 small condos for sale in that area in your price range), or the Aycock neighborhood (again, Realtor.com shows 2 small houses there). There are also 3 condos in a more suburban location off Old Battleground Road on Treestead Circle that are in your price range. Thats a nice area, don't know why those particular condos are so cheap.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:33 AM

511 posts, read 510,255 times
Glenwood would be a good option if you can find something. Houses in that area sell pretty fast but it is a lot less sketchy than it used to be.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:57 PM

586 posts, read 554,057 times
Quote:

I think you should rethink your budget.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:54 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:

I was going to respond asking where you are from because while housing cost less what you are asking is a stretch. Then I went to Zillow where I found a few listings in and around your price range, so it's not out of the question. Btw, I searched 27401 which is downtown and seems to fit your criteria.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:46 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
$175K? OP said her price range is $60K.
I posted in the wrong thread. There's another thread on here where a poster IS asking about $175K.

As for $60K, yes, I think that should be re-thought as another poster mentioned. Even for a light/moderate investment property, you're going to be hard pressed to find something that suits the mentioned needs. It's either going to need a TON of work (ie: More than you spend on the original purchase), or is going to be in a bad area of town. IMO, if you can raise the budget to a soft $100K or so, you could do so much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point