U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2017, 07:26 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,111,597 times

Advertisements

Speaking of the grocery business, I see Amazon is buying Whole Foods. I must admit I didn't see that coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 08:54 AM

19,990 posts, read 19,010,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
I meant to mention Lowe's too...I've wondered if they'll hang on. I know they've remodeled a number of their stores, though I hardly ever go to Lowe's Foods. Mainly because they're not on my way home. With so many choices, I don't go out of my way for groceries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
Their new and remodeled stores are great. I know the stores vary widely statewide, but they're gradually remodeling or rebuilding the whole chain. I was recently down in the Southport area and noticed that they're building a brand new store adjacent to an existing store rather than remodeling. They also have another brand new store a few miles down the road. In Kernersville, too, they're building a new store perhaps with the intention of closing the existing one a few miles away.

The Lowes in my part of W-S is very nice. It probably represents a flagship of sorts as it's one of the closer locations to their corporate HQ. And that location is actually a stone's throw from a Fresh Market and a Harris Teeter. Most of the Winston locations are tucked in close to competition. Though I agree that Lowes Foods does seem to be present in some of the smaller towns around here where you might not find a Harris Teeter, for example.
Lowe's Foods' new format, which has been around since 2014, is nice. If it intends to compete with other supermarkets Harris Teeter, Publix, and Walmart Neighborhood Market, it will need to continue improving itself by including pharmacy departments, lowering prices, and being consistent instead of "wow".

Old 06-16-2017, 08:56 AM

19,990 posts, read 19,010,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
Speaking of the grocery business, I see Amazon is buying Whole Foods. I must admit I didn't see that coming.
My first impression is Amazon acquiring struggling retailers in specific retail sectors. Amazon enters the grocery retail industry by acquiring specialty organic grocer Whole Foods Market.

My second impression is if Amazon has reached its peak. Amazon is a good online retailer. Can it a good retailer with brick and mortar stores?

Old 06-16-2017, 09:52 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,111,597 times
It will be interesting to see how Amazon will do with brick & mortar operations. I thought they might pick up some of the old Radio Shack stores but that didn't happen. This WF purchase is a much larger transaction.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:10 AM

7,280 posts, read 13,544,406 times
Yeah, more than $13 billion. (I've seen $13.4 and $13.7)

It's an interesting deal and could be a good match, potentially, giving Amazon a selectively expanded brick-and-mortar presence (we all know how carefully Whole Foods approaches site selection) while lowering costs (though not necessarily prices) at WF.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:18 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,007,124 times
Hopefully the Whole Foods hot bar will be included with my Prime membership!!

Old 06-16-2017, 02:22 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,329,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Hopefully the Whole Foods hot bar will be included with my Prime membership!!
Since you mentioned that, the speculation is Amazon may offer to Prime Members, for an additional fee of course, grocery delivery. Additionally WF could become the employeeless grocery store it is now experimenting with in Seattle.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:47 AM

7,280 posts, read 13,544,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Additionally WF could become the employeeless grocery store it is now experimenting with in Seattle.
I'd be very surprised if that happened anytime soon. They'd have to seriously alter the WF business model to make that work, scrapping things like the hot bar, full-service counters, etc. There are an awful lot of WF shoppers who'd be pretty peeved without open stock produce, a hot bar, a manned fish/meat/cheese/deli section, etc.

What I'd be less surprised to see is mini-WF locations pop up, branded as Whole Foods and using the Amazon Go model (small footprint, grab-and-go items). Basically an Amazon Go, but leaning hard on the WF brand and expertise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point