U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 11:55 AM

7 posts, read 40,790 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Great supportive threads here. My wife and I are looking for a place to retire to and we keep coming back to the Greensboro area. We lived in Greenville, South Carolina (neighbors yelled at us whenever we drove by because we "don't worship" and called out a visiting friend with the N word - crazy people, made me not a big fan of Greenville, South Carolina) and Charlotte NC in the last 10 years. Charlotte is my kind of town - small, fairly progressive and cosmopolitan, somewhat race-issue free, sorta LBGTQ friendly, and the folks I interacted with there never once berated my agnosticism. I liked Charlotte a lot.

That said, I am in Calgary, Alberta right now and the issue of race is present but the hate and vitriol is nearly non-existent, regardless of color and background. It's a middle-of-the-road place politically, where politics seems best for me, and people are incredibly less stressed out than anywhere I ever lived back home in the states.

It also snows from September to April. Ew.

I have read a ton of posts from people in this thread regarding all manner of issues and topics, and so far I know this:

- The north and northwest side of town is the "nice" side
- Racism is here, but racism is everywhere (except, seemingly, Calgary AB)
- The art scene is lively, the downtown area is progressive and safe and fun
- Life is good in Greensboro

Given our fondness for NC, I am trying to head down for a visit ASAP - I actually may be starting a contract with a bank in Charlotte, and may move to Greensboro into a roommate situation to work the contract remotely and get to know the area.

So:

- We're white, straight, agnostics. I am from California. She's from Toronto. No worries there, right?
- I have a trans son, 15. We march with him in pride parades. How's THAT going there?
- I have an autistic son, 13. Any parents of spectrum kids here to talk about services and acceptance?
- Farmers' markets! We eat like old-school hippies. I have found a few links (Curb market, a few other smaller ones). Got feedback on them for me?
- My wife and I are amateur actors. The CTG has Little Shop of Horrors going on in November - I am currently doing that show here. Any other people in community theater with feedback?
- Anyone open, if I make it down there, to me buying you a beer if you take me on a guided tour?

I know a lot of this can be answered by actually taking the time to read the threads, but there are a zillion sub-threads and my head is spinning.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 12:09 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,103,476 times
What makes you fond of North Carolina, and Greensboro in particular? How often have you visited? Any reason you aren't considering Asheville? Or other states, like Austin, TX? What about the Pacific Northwest? I know those are kind of the default places for progressive-minded people aside from California and the Northeast - I'm just wondering what's drawing you to NC.

I would expect much of the Triad to be fairly welcoming, but IMO it's not as much as as much as Charlotte or even the Triangle. Personally, I like the diversity in Winston-Salem and most of the Triad, though we're conservative-leaning Libertarians.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:12 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,429,472 times
I don' think you'll find Greensboro to be much different from Charlotte in regard to gay pride/rights, although it may be slightly more conservation, if only because there is a higher percentage of natives in G'boro than Charlotte.

There is a large state Farmer's market near the airport, and a "local" one downtown. No doubt there are others.

Community Theater of Greensboro: https://ctgso.org/

There have been other threads on autism, I think...you can look for them using the search feature.

Overall, G'boro is a pretty open, welcoming place. Among its early settlers were Quakers, and it developed a significant Jewish population in the late 19th and early 20th century. Plus it is home to 2 predominantly african american colleges, so its been a bit more progressive than much of the south.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:34 PM

7 posts, read 40,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
What makes you fond of North Carolina, and Greensboro in particular? How often have you visited? Any reason you aren't considering Asheville? Or other states, like Austin, TX? What about the Pacific Northwest? I know those are kind of the default places for progressive-minded people aside from California and the Northeast - I'm just wondering what's drawing you to NC.

I would expect much of the Triad to be fairly welcoming, but IMO it's not as much as as much as Charlotte or even the Triangle. Personally, I like the diversity in Winston-Salem and most of the Triad, though we're conservative-leaning Libertarians.
Left out those details - post was getting pretty long.

We think it's utterly beautiful in NC. I used to joke to people I knew who'd never been there "if you drop a toothpick or a popsicle stick on the ground it'll grow into something green." We had great luck in Charlotte and the prices just rebounded too big for us to retire there.

Austin is OK but I have spent very little time there. The PacNW is just crazy expensive. I lived most of my life in Southern California, and learned to completely hate it.

So we're kinda East Coasters. Asheville is really lovely...and pricey (but still on our list). Not a fan of Florida. Georgia (Atlanta and metro) is on the list. SC is kinda out, if only for a few bad experiences listed in the original thread starter. NC is the hot topic. No experience in VA, MD, NJ, VT, ME etc: no real experience.

PA maybe and possibly upstate NY - amazing services for my autistic boy. I lived in Rochester and loved it. Downside: the same snow we're tired of here in Calgary.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:40 PM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 4 days ago)

5,591 posts, read 6,689,295 times
I don't think anything is wrong with your plan, except the schooling for your autistic son. Being from the Northeast, specifically NJ, where no expense is spared in dealing with special education students, you'll likely be disappointed with the level of special ed services in NC and the Southeast in general! To be sure, there are very dedicated people working in the education system, but the level of funding falls woefully short compared with the wealthier states of the Northeast. I know of parents who complained about the services rendered and were told "well, if you don't like it, homeschool your own kid!" That's not the kind of answer any concerned parent ever wants to hear!

North Carolina has been on the "hot list" of places to move to for quite a number of years. The bigger homes and lower taxes are certainly appealing for many, but there are trade offs involved with those big savings! Education is one of those trade offs! You're not going to get a Lexus LS460 for Toyota Corolla money! With teachers departing in alarming numbers for financially greener pastures, keeping highly qualified special education teachers is very challenging! The state contributes nothing for continuing education to maintain or enhance changing teaching methods in this field.

Think long and hard before you make a decision. Some priorities deserve more consideration than others! Best of Luck with your plans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or